Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 03-18-2006, 05:46 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Rub rail vinyl insert install

Ordered a new set of graphics for my boat from BAWS. As long as i was ordering, I bought a new insert for my rub rail.

My question.....is it easy to install? Have any of you done this? If so, are there any tips to share? I'm hoping it's relatively easy.

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 03-18-2006, 05:47 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB
Ordered a new set of graphics for my boat from BAWS. As long as i was ordering, I bought a new insert for my rub rail.

My question.....is it easy to install? Have any of you done this? If so, are there any tips to share? I'm hoping it's relatively easy.

I think that I read on here it is best if you soak it in HOT water before attempting an install to make it easier to work with.
Old 03-18-2006, 07:15 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
seen heatguns used on some boats, not sure on yours
Old 03-18-2006, 07:39 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Or, I was told at MC you can put it in the clothes dryer, high heat and keep a check on it OR use a heat gun. It takes two people, one to apply it to the rail and one to feed it to you so it won't be or get tangled up like a rope. If you use a heat gun it takes three people, the third heats the insert and don't burn it!!!!!!! Inset the upper wing into the rail and use a plastic squeegy like you use to get the bubbles out of decals with, to flip the lower wing into the rail. Using a screw driver may cut the insert and can scratch or damage the aluminum rail if you slip. I don't want to scare you, but it takes the guys at the factory about 4 minutes to insert the vinyl insert into the rail on the average boat, cause the insert cools real quick once exposed to the air. They keep the soon to be installed inserts in a tub of real hot water and the tub has a lid on it. Apply a little 303 or silicone to the rail first for obvious reasons. Experiment first with a small piece to see what works best for you. When you start the install, begin about 8" before the joint in the center of the transon, but leave about 4" hanging out, when you finish, cross over the center of the transom and push some of the excess into the rail, as over time you will have a little shrinkage in the insert and as you know it's better to have too much, than not enough, plus it will shrink a tad bit as it cools. In doing it you will see what I am talking about.
P.S. Be sure to mark with tape the location of the rail cover plate AND the SCREW HOLES when you disassemble!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Last edited by TMCNo1; 03-18-2006 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:16 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 1993 MASTERCRAFT PROSTAR 190 285HP 351 INDMAR
I pulled the insert out on my 93 and swapped out the rivets for ss hardware. Start at the front and work your way starboard and port in any order. Lay out the insert from the bow back. I did not heat or mess with mine. I just bent the insert back and sort of rolled it back into the rail. Hands got a work out but I would say the job is easy once you get it started in the front! I did it alone and it moved very quickly. I was reinstalling though.

!UOY NAHT RETSAF MA I TUB KNURD EB YAM I
Old 03-18-2006, 08:25 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
Send a message via Skype™ to Laurel_Lake_Skier
I pulled mine out last summer to tighten some screws holding the main piece of the rail. Putting the insert back wasn't that bad. I did it in the sun on a warm day and was able to squeeze it with my fingers for most of the way (as mentioned, my hands felt the work out later) and occasionally used a wide flat bladed screwdriver to press the bottom section up and in when things got stubborn. I was careful and had no problems with slipping and scratching.

Take your time....you'll be fine.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:38 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1979 stars and stripes
I boiled a large stock pot of water and put the insert in it after it quit boiling. that made it very easy to do.
#1 supporter of wadka
Old 03-18-2006, 11:45 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190, fuel injected 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier Bob
I pulled the insert out on my 93 and swapped out the rivets for ss hardware. Start at the front and work your way starboard and port in any order. Lay out the insert from the bow back. I did not heat or mess with mine. I just bent the insert back and sort of rolled it back into the rail. Hands got a work out but I would say the job is easy once you get it started in the front! I did it alone and it moved very quickly. I was reinstalling though.
I did the same thing this winter. It was time consuming, but not all that hard. I also recalked the hull where it comes together. I helped my friend do his with new rubber and just let it sit out in the sun for a few hours and used a heat gun at the three corners.

'91 prostar 190
Old 03-18-2006, 11:46 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
I have used the heat gun method on a warm day and it works great.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:56 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Thanks for all the tips.....

I've gotta mull this over a bit....a day warm enough to make the rail plyable is probably too late in the season for me....

Heat-gun might be the ticket....however, one thing that comes to mind is using my turkey fryer to heat a large stock pot of water and use that to warm the rub-rail...

Gotta get the West marine catalog out and look at fasteners....was planning to make getting rid of rivets, calking and resecuring the rail part of this task.

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843