Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 09-22-2004, 05:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197, LTR
Hardshell Bindings

I'm considering switching to hardshell bindings (fogman); mainly to relieve foot pain. I'm interested to hear any pro's or con's from those of you who have skied hardshells. Thanks!
Old 09-22-2004, 05:36 PM
Leroy

Wow, just looking at them why not put ski bindings on and use your ski boots! Looks like they actually have a release binding, true?

I have not used them.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:49 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I think most of the hardshells are mounted with 3m Dual Lock Velcro now if I'm not mistaken. No experience, but judging from what others have said on another ski board, I'd look into the Goode Powershells in addition to the Fogman bindings.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:57 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1992 pro star 190
Have not used them m self, but know seveal people who have used them and they have had sprained ankle to one friend who wore his accilities tendon and was off skiing for quite a while. It allways seems to happen when they fall on a slalom ski. and the binding dose not release. While it also happens with rubber bindings I have heard of a lot more with the hard shells.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:33 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft 205
My wife and I have been sking with Fogmans since 1999 and there is no way either of us want to go back to rubber bindings. There are a number of reason why I feel they are better, first would be comfort, we used to ski with HO Animals, we liked the control but they were so uncomfortable we could only make about 4 passes through the course and we would have to get out of them, we never have this problem using Fogmans, I also like the fact that when they release both feet come out, I always worried with rubber bindings that one foot would come out and the ski would tear up my other ankle. I don't think you will find anyone who will try to convice you that hardshells will give you better control, most of the folks I know use them because they are more comfortable and they feel they are safer. If you watch you can find a set used for a very reasonable price.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:34 PM
MC Hero

I'd add that there are heat molded footbeds available for some boots, I think the powershells.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:42 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '03 197
ABSOLUTELY NOT!

We have had a few injuries in our club from hard shells. Including a very good amatuer level skier who was Noregian national champ. Two days before leaving to defend his title, spiral fractured his leg. Year later, almost to the day, did it again. Two others have has serious tendon damage, one require surgery. One of the pro's fractured a leg with hard shell.

Stay with soft shell!
Old 09-24-2004, 01:15 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '85 Stars and Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by phecksel
ABSOLUTELY NOT!

We have had a few injuries in our club from hard shells. Including a very good amatuer level skier who was Noregian national champ. Two days before leaving to defend his title, spiral fractured his leg. Year later, almost to the day, did it again. Two others have has serious tendon damage, one require surgery. One of the pro's fractured a leg with hard shell.

Stay with soft shell!

while the HO phantoms are not hard shells, do you think they are too firm?
Click here if you need prayer, or wish to pray for those who do.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:20 PM
MC Hero

I was told most recently at ski school by the instructor that hardshell boots were "ankle breakers." Taking such a comment with a necessary grain of salt, the same could be said for water skis in general. That being said, I've heard lots of stories about injuries in hardshell boots.

Don't know how firm the phatoms are. I've heard at least one person report that in an OTF fall, he did come out of his phantoms. So that's good. With lace ups, I never cinch them up very tight, if at all. I've never come out of them when I didn't want to, and always have come out of them when I needed to (knock on wood).

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 09-24-2004, 03:06 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '85 Stars and Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier
I was told most recently at ski school by the instructor that hardshell boots were "ankle breakers." Taking such a comment with a necessary grain of salt, the same could be said for water skis in general. That being said, I've heard lots of stories about injuries in hardshell boots.

Don't know how firm the phatoms are. I've heard at least one person report that in an OTF fall, he did come out of his phantoms. So that's good. With lace ups, I never cinch them up very tight, if at all. I've never come out of them when I didn't want to, and always have come out of them when I needed to (knock on wood).

forgive my ignorance....OTF fall???
Click here if you need prayer, or wish to pray for those who do.