Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 09-22-2004, 01:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 99 Prostar 205
351 Carburater Best Choice

Let's talk replacement carb for Holley 4010. This carb has been discontinued and I understand it is troublesome and not user friendly. I just bought a 93 prostar 205 ( hello east texas) and the carb looks like it is in trouble. I want to replace it with a carb that will accelerate rapidly to 32 MPH and ski all day long and not waste water time adjusting things. The helpful people at skidim recommend Holley 4160 because it will bolt on with minimal cost of fuel line replacement and the spark arrestor will work. I have spoken to a group of Mastercraft skiers in southern California who are running edelbrock 1409 user friendly marine carbs with transdapt wedge plates to level the carbs and they think that is the only way to go. Help me make a decision gentlemen. Thanks
Old 09-22-2004, 01:15 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: SN 196 previous 93 stars&stripes 190 red
My vote is for the 4160 but I'll say I have never been on a boat with the set you mention.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1985 MasterCraft S & S 351 w/powerslot
I would go with the 4160. I have talked to a couple of different people who have tried the Edelbrock setup and they were unhappy with it. I have the 4160 and it works great.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:50 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 Mastercraft Prostar 190
If you decide you want an edelbrock, I have a 1411 for sale. It's used but in LIKE NEW condition, inside and out. Includes filter/fuel presure gauge. I'd sell it for $80.00

Having advetised that, I would recomend a 4150 Holley, 600-650 CFM. I don't like that the secondaries are not adjustable on the 4160. They are on the 4150, as it has an actual metering block w/jets in it.
Old 09-22-2004, 02:15 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Well, having read my emails, you know what my vote is.

I'd also say that the 4150, which is standard on Indmar's carb boats is a great choice. My brother-in-law has one on his Supra Comp and has had zero trouble with it. However, in an extensive search about a year ago, I was unable to find a 4150 with vac secondaries anywhere but through Indmar (approx. $700+).

With a 4160 and a 13x12 acme 3 blade, I can get to 36 mph in a matter of a couple/few hundred (give or take) feet. Although the hole shot is different than the 4010, it's neither better, nor worse. From the skier's perspective, there's no difference at all in my opinion.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Holley carb

I was having trouble with my Holley carb at the end of the season last year and read all the horror stories about the 4010, like I had on my 1993/205.

I called Holley and talked to them about the problems and found out that they have a technical center that rebuilds the carbs and sets them up to flow test and adjusts them to original specs like it came from teh factory. They basically said after they were done it would be like a new carb. Cost was about $310. Look on the internet for their number.

I took my carb off and sent it to them last Feb. They had it back to me in about 2 weeks and I put it back on. Had the adjust the idle speed up but boat runs like the proverbial "striped a$$ ape" now. I am very happy with what they did and how boat runs now.

Ron
Old 09-23-2004, 02:01 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Ron, what exactly do they do to it. I had mine rebuilt by my local comp ski boat dealer. The rebuild fixed the hesitation upon accelleration problem I was having, but the hot stall issues persisted.

The way my mechanic has explained it to me over and over was that the hot stall issues with the 4010 were based on (1) a carb that was overly heat sensitive, and (2) the fuel had a tendancy to slosh out of the bowl and back down the venturies when the boat was brought off plane due to the design of the carb.

What issues were you having with your 4010 before you sent it to Holley? Whatever they were, I'm glad to hear it worked for you.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 09-23-2004, 05:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
The biggest trouble I was having was rough idle and loading up. It would hot stall when I would back off to pick up a skier.

I tried adjustments of all sorts but nothing seemed to work. I didn't really want to do the rebuild myself on a marine carb although I have rebuilt other carbs. Just something to do with, if a carb on a car screws up and catches fire you can get out and run. Bailing out to swim doesn't seem like that good of an alternative.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:18 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: None this week!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm861triple
If you decide you want an edelbrock, I have a 1411 for sale. It's used but in LIKE NEW condition, inside and out. Includes filter/fuel presure gauge. I'd sell it for $80.00

Having advetised that, I would recomend a 4150 Holley, 600-650 CFM. I don't like that the secondaries are not adjustable on the 4160. They are on the 4150, as it has an actual metering block w/jets in it.

Storm: Is that 1411 a marine application Square Flange 750 CFM Electric Choke?
Old 10-22-2004, 10:20 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmithaz
...I have spoken to a group of Mastercraft skiers in southern California who are running edelbrock 1409 user friendly marine carbs with transdapt wedge plates to level the carbs and they think that is the only way to go. Help me make a decision gentlemen. Thanks
I've used Edelbrock (same as Carter/Weber carb. design) Main advantage is, changing jets and metering rods, if you have the need.
The wedge plate, is not a bad idea, for any carburator boat application.

ETduc

Last edited by etduc; 10-22-2004 at 03:54 PM.