Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-29-2004, 09:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 05 X-45
Tranny Concerns

I posted once on the old site and had no response, so i figure i'll give it another shot here.

I am very close to purchasing a 94 Prostar w/ LT1 engine (not sure what tranny is in it). However, when going for first test drive the seller called and cancelled. They said when they took it out they noticed the transmission was leaking fluid. Upon inspection they found that the transmission vent was missing and when driving full speed, fluid would come out. So the vent was replaced and the transmission was flushed and new fluid was put in. Now today, upon the test drive I noticed that fluid was still down in the bilge area but it looked to be residual fluid left over from the change. I then wiped the vent area clean, drove it hard, and checked again and found some fluid around the vent again, but not much.

I guess i'm just wondering if this is normal or if its a cause for concern. Also, when i checked the fluid level it was about half full and it seemed to be a little foamy on the dipstick, but after a recheck it didn't seem as foamy. Anyone's thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Nathan
Old 07-29-2004, 11:37 PM
MC Master Poster

It's not normal for the tranny to leak, but if you're really asking if this boat is worth buying, you could take it to a MC dealer or one of the better marinas/boat dealers in your area and have them do a marine survey of it. They would go through it thoroughly and document everything they find, good or bad. If you tell them in advance that the tranny has some issues, they could also give you a ballpark price for any repairs needed. If they do a complete motor check including any codes, and it comes out OK but the tranny is the only problem, you can probably work out a reduced price with the seller, then get the tranny repaired. Ultimately, you need to feel comfortable that this boat is a good one and that you can live with the price. By design, it is a good boat and hopefully, it has been well maintained.

You will need to find out about maintaining it, however, and it's not totally unlike a car in that there are specific service intervals and procedures. In addition, if you have questions, just ask.
Old 07-30-2004, 01:21 AM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks for the input. The boat was brought to a MC dealer initially to replace the tranny vent and they said everything on the transmission checked out good. Also, the seller, had his local marina throughly clean out the bilge area and verify that the tranny fluid there was just residual left over from the change and flush. That being said, I go to pick up the boat tomorrow
Old 07-30-2004, 03:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Talking

Good luck with your new boat. I have a PS205, 1995 and love it. It's been nothing but trouble free. You're going to love it.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Still Kinda Worried

I just picked up the boat today and had it out for a couple hours. The transmission fluid leaks out of the breather vent at high speed (40+). I'm not too concerned right now being as it shifts perfectly and there is no slipping, i'll just keep extra fluid on the boat with me. However, is there anyone else out there with the same problem? I would like to have it solved, but i will deal with it for now. Thanks for any input you guys have
Old 07-31-2004, 12:56 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I have a 1993 PS 205 and nothing leaks but the stuffing box. Fortunately, that's supposed to leak a bit. I'd monitor that tranny fluid level constantly and get it looked at soon.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 07-31-2004, 10:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Found the problem

I just examined my tranny and found the problem . The fittings that go to and from the tranny fluid cooler are the source of the leak. So during the next week i will reseal them or replace them, whichever i see necessary. Have a nice weekend every one . Peace.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1995 225 VRS LT-1
Send a message via Yahoo to Leec
Talking

Nates if the wrong dipstick is in there then that causes an overfill and it goes out the vent. So see if there is a dip stick number and call parts with your vin number or email MC. I had the same problem and that is what it was. I now have a red handle dip stick.

No one on their Death Bed ever said "I have too much Life Insurance!"

It's a Great Day at AAA !!!
Lee <><
Old 08-03-2004, 09:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Okay, thanks for your help, i will email MC tomorrow, i hope thats it cause i'd like to get through the season. The new boat is awesome

Enjoy the rest of the season everyone