Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 07-25-2013, 09:11 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
[quote=Traxx822;960615]They are not Earmark to my knowledge. I believe there is a devider in between.

Given the close proximity of the woofer and coaxial, one of the two must be totally enclosed.
If both are infinite baffle then the 10" sub requires 2.25 + cu.ft. and the 7.7" coaxial needs about 1.0 + cu.ft. Again, only one of the two IB speakers needs to be enclosed.
Here is a test to conduct.
Disconnect the 7.7" next to the sub. Turn on the system with some material having strong bass and turn up the volume. If the unhooked 7.7" is moving and acting like a sympathetic radiator then it is being modulated by the sub....which should not be the case.
Why is this bad? Because via the HP and LP active crossovers they shouldn't play the same info. Because the modulation of the coaxial by the sub constitutes distortion that muddies up both the midbass and the midrange. Because the modulated coaxial midbass cone is moving out of phase with the output of the subwoofer creating cancellations.

David
Old 07-25-2013, 09:25 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
[quote=EarmarkMarine;960659]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx822 View Post
They are not Earmark to my knowledge. I believe there is a devider in between.

Given the close proximity of the woofer and coaxial, one of the two must be totally enclosed.
If both are infinite baffle then the 10" sub requires 2.25 + cu.ft. and the 7.7" coaxial needs about 1.0 + cu.ft. Again, only one of the two IB speakers needs to be enclosed.
Here is a test to conduct.
Disconnect the 7.7" next to the sub. Turn on the system with some material having strong bass and turn up the volume. If the unhooked 7.7" is moving and acting like a sympathetic radiator then it is being modulated by the sub....which should not be the case.
Why is this bad? Because via the HP and LP active crossovers they shouldn't play the same info. Because the modulation of the coaxial by the sub constitutes distortion that muddies up both the midbass and the midrange. Because the modulated coaxial midbass cone is moving out of phase with the output of the subwoofer creating cancellations.

David
That's interesting information. I never thought of it. Glad I think I lucked out because the 7.7 cockpit is not IB. The sub is. The M7.7 coax is pretty enclosed by the partition wall the amps are mounted to. I'd be lucky if it's 1.0 cu ft but I'd say I'm close enough.

The sub bass sounds great. I think I should be getting more out of my 7.7's because the cones hardly move. Even when cranked and large bass. I think I have my amps set up wrong.

That's another issue I'm posting up soon.

I think I lucked out on what you are talking about. Good think it's forward from the partition.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-02-2014, 06:45 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 mastercraft p190
Saving for later... Thanks to everyone for the ideas
Old 02-03-2014, 01:17 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2012 X35
Here is a pic of my subwoofer install. Wetsounds XS-XXXv2 powered by a JL HD750/1.

They did a fantastic job on this install. Sub hits hard in the ported box!

Old 04-12-2014, 01:58 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
Solo baric L7 15 in a 1.6 cubic foot box