Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 12-13-2016, 03:27 PM
wolfeprop

NXT 22 Tower Pre-wire setup

I searched for a thread that showed a "how to" for adding tower speakers to a new Mastercraft (NXT 22) and couldn't find one, so I'm building my own. I wanted the stock tower speaker look (MCOCD) but didn't want to pay the MC price. The boat we purchased had the prewire done which we now know only includes the 4 pucks on the tower and the wires inside the tower for up to 4 speakers. Being a tall family, we quickly decided on outer speakers only. If you get speakers installed by MC, they put the JL 7.7 cans on for you. Since I was saving labor, we went with the 8.8s from JL as we wanted the best look and performance. Tack on 2 MC tower mounts from Crutchfield (low profile) and the speakers looked awesome. What we didn't realize was there was no speaker lines, or amp power going to the tower. The pre-wire ends just under the gunwale out of sight in two tidy harnesses.
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2016, 03:40 PM
wolfeprop

We also saw that the current amp provided (I think this is the upgraded audio package on the NXT) had a JL 6 series amp which was 6 channels full of cabin speakers and a bridged sub. We weren't thrilled that the $600 prewire didn't include anything but some welds in the tower and one half of the speaker harness. Since we had already sunk $1200 into the cans and mounts, it wasn't hard to justify the amp, power cables, and second half of the speaker cables to finish the job. Our local dealer said make power runs short and sound runs long. I purchased a used JL 8 series amp ($350 on fleabay) that can run 4 tower speakers bridged but only used half of it to power the new 8.8 cans. I thought about adding my own speaker wires to the MC harness but for $113, it was worth getting a stock harness. Both sets of tower speakers use the same colored wires (purple and green) which the new stock harness had very clearly marked (port out/in and stb out/in). Would have been hard to match up without a lot of trial and error, plus I couldn't bring myself to cut any wires on the new boat. Also thought about the abuse the speaker wires would take with splices up under the gunwale and was afraid of crackling from the speakers every wave we hit. I bought a "y" splitter for the RCA cables to add an RCA line going back to the battery compartment and used an amp wiring kit from wally world ($50).
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2016, 03:49 PM
wolfeprop

The amp remote turn on comes from the existing amp under the observer seat. I pulled power right from the battery with the included inline fuse and grounded the whole setup to the ground bar in the engine bay. Tied everything down/up so no movement. I installed the amp with all leads facing down so if something wet gets near, it won't drain into the amp. Since the radio only had one pre-out, I bought a JL amp remote to turn the cabin amp down and allow the full power to go to the towers when skiing/tubing. May buy a second remote to be able to turn the tower down/off when not needed (floating). All up, this cost about $1600 plus my time. I think we did better than factory costs plus we got the 8.8 cans instead of the 7.7 cans. Now just gotta wait till we can take it back out on the lake in May!
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2016, 01:32 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2015 X20 SS
Nice work and tips.
Factory were only 6" on the NXT series unlike X series 7.7
You have a good upgrade.
The 205 Radio is a Bummer in the NXT with only 1 pre out.
This is the one boat I would do a Stereo delete on.

Those 880 can handle and want a lot more power, but that requires a dedicated AMP more cable and $$$

2015 X20 SS GEN2 6.0
2016 G21 Coastal
2014 X46 GEN2 7.4
2014 X30 GEN2 5.7
2006 VRS200 SS 5.7
2013 X30 GEN2 6.2
2013 Yamaha 242LS
Old 12-14-2016, 08:14 AM
wolfeprop

thanks! We were checking speakers against a 2017 x23 model so that explains why I assumed the NXT shipped with 7.7s instead of the 6.5's. My M800/8v2 is only driving the tower speakers bridged. I thought about replacing the stock 6 channel amp with the 8 channel amp but that would have only sent 75w to the towers when they like 200 or more. I've got them at 150w so I'll have to see how loud they are out on the open water. Performing an amp swap would be easy at this point as all the connections are standard. If anybody has a recommendation, I'm open to suggestions!
Old 12-14-2016, 10:06 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: NXT20...
Smart move only getting the prewire. I threw away money on 4 of the JL cans from the factory and they were 6.5's and sounded great when the motor was off and we were just floating or at the sand bar or dock. Someone on TT got a good deal on them. But our two 880's are so much better all around and they are only powered by an M400/4 bridged. And I don't hit my head anymore, even with the little 6.5's my head hit them and I am only 6' tall. The M880's are beyond loud, we lowered the gain from the initial setting. Be sure to set the high pass crossover, I think ours is at 100hz but I read on here that some people went to 120 or 150.

Really like that color on you boat. Saw it in person on the NXT at Disney and my family dug it.
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2016, 10:07 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeprop View Post
thanks! We were checking speakers against a 2017 x23 model so that explains why I assumed the NXT shipped with 7.7s instead of the 6.5's. My M800/8v2 is only driving the tower speakers bridged. I thought about replacing the stock 6 channel amp with the 8 channel amp but that would have only sent 75w to the towers when they like 200 or more. I've got them at 150w so I'll have to see how loud they are out on the open water. Performing an amp swap would be easy at this point as all the connections are standard. If anybody has a recommendation, I'm open to suggestions!
^^^ I would have done the same thing.
Saves a lot of wiring time.
So you added a 8 ch amp? Just for the 2 Tower speakers or?

2015 X20 SS GEN2 6.0
2016 G21 Coastal
2014 X46 GEN2 7.4
2014 X30 GEN2 5.7
2006 VRS200 SS 5.7
2013 X30 GEN2 6.2
2013 Yamaha 242LS
Old 12-14-2016, 10:12 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: NXT20...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lashburn1 View Post
Nice work and tips.
Factory were only 6" on the NXT series unlike X series 7.7
You have a good upgrade.
The 205 Radio is a Bummer in the NXT with only 1 pre out.
This is the one boat I would do a Stereo delete on.

Those 880 can handle and want a lot more power, but that requires a dedicated AMP more cable and $$$
Sovled the 1 preout problem by splicing RCA ends onto the speaker outputs of the stereo. tower speakers and boat speakers are separate now and the Sub out is connected to the boat speaker channel instead of the tower ones. Also, using the speaker high level outputs elevated some minor engine whine we had in the RCA outs since the gains are tuned much lower (maybe luck, maybe related). The 205 is a simple radio that I think fits the no frills NXT line well. If you did the radio delete, MC engraved a big NXT logo into the stock radio location and it would be tough to cover with most standard din radios. Replacing the 205 with a standard size won't work either since it is taller. I looked at a ton of options before just giving in to it. Upgrading the bluetooth the to BT200 was enough for me at that point.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:47 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaly126 View Post
Sovled the 1 preout problem by splicing RCA ends onto the speaker outputs of the stereo. tower speakers and boat speakers are separate now and the Sub out is connected to the boat speaker channel instead of the tower ones. Also, using the speaker high level outputs elevated some minor engine whine we had in the RCA outs since the gains are tuned much lower (maybe luck, maybe related). The 205 is a simple radio that I think fits the no frills NXT line well. If you did the radio delete, MC engraved a big NXT logo into the stock radio location and it would be tough to cover with most standard din radios. Replacing the 205 with a standard size won't work either since it is taller. I looked at a ton of options before just giving in to it. Upgrading the bluetooth the to BT200 was enough for me at that point.
^^^ I came to the same conclusion after measuring an NXT 22...
the inside glove box WILL fit a Fusion 700 like an X30...

but having the the whole boat Wire with the basic Radio and grounding from the factory is worth it to me.

I thought I would just pull the 205 out and put a Fusion Remote in its place with a cosmetic Plate to fill gaps..... Lot of work to get the ZONE control of X series boats back...

2015 X20 SS GEN2 6.0
2016 G21 Coastal
2014 X46 GEN2 7.4
2014 X30 GEN2 5.7
2006 VRS200 SS 5.7
2013 X30 GEN2 6.2
2013 Yamaha 242LS
Old 12-14-2016, 10:49 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: pontoon
The NXT is not the only model the Fusion 205 has come in

That OEM installed amp is the M700/5 5 chnl. 4 full range chnls and a dedicated woofer chnl

Is that amp mounted next to the battery, safe from water? It really needs to be in the port locker, where the OEM amp is. Under seats tend to get dripping water running through. This also shortens the RCA length. Id take a short RCA over a short power cable any day.

if you do leave the amp there, I would also uncoil and cut that extra cabling out.

Although the RA205 has a taller face than a typical single DIN unit, it still only requires a 2" cutout. However, its much narrower at only 5-1/6". As long as the mounting location will accommodate a wider head unit, it would only require a fabricated trim bezel between the new unit and the boat, to cover the footprint of the RA205 or OEM logo plate in the case of a stereo-delete.