Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Old 03-14-2006, 01:19 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 Maristar 210VRS, LTR 330HP, ZeroFlex Tower, KGB Ballast, PerfectPass Wakeboard Pro,
Thumbs down Why did MC do this?

late last season I noticed that one of the rear sunpad cushions on my 2001 Maristar 210vrs was getting loose. looking further I realized it was the internal framing that was having issue.

This past weekend, I remove the cusion and went to an upholstery guy to have a look-see...unbeknowst to either of us but MC has use a Aluminum Honeycomb as the backing material for the sundeck pieces on the model (and probably other models). I am curious why they choose this material. It's extremely more expensive than comparable plastic or starboard of similar thickness, and only slightly less in weight(your talking ounces per foot). My issue really resides in the fact that salt water corroded this aluminum honeycomb and the bolts that hold the framing for the hinges literally crushed and pulled thru the honeycomb.

Just thought I would share my disapproval in what I think is an inferior choice of material on MC's part especially when they use plastic on the remaining seats as well as do the other 99% of boat manufacturers to avoid such rotting issues as this. Had the backing been plastic or starboard, this would never have been an issue.

I now intend on pulling all 3 rear sunpads apart and replacing the aluminum honeycomb with a plastic in similar thinkness
Old 03-14-2006, 01:27 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Prostar,190,1994,351
The aluminum honeycomb material is extremely strong and very rigid compared to FRP pannels and UHMW on unsupported sections of flooring or sundeck. Just in case you wanted to invite a sealion to sunbathe on the sundeck
Old 03-14-2006, 07:59 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
when I bought my 00 190, the guy was having a new rear seat shipped in because the one in the boat was bent in the middle like one of those sea lions had jumped on it... I didnt ask details, but the new one shipped from MC held up quite well.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:24 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 PS197 LY6
After a day of floating and partying my rear bench on my 97 190 snapped in half. To many people dancing in the boat. It was that aluminum honey comb. I tried repairing it multiple times, but it always had a sag in it. I put a 6X6 under it for one summer. Finally I used some angle iron that had been zinc plated and bolted that to the honecomey. It was stronger then it was when it was new.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:46 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
The only problem I had with my aluminum hc floor panel is that he washers on the through bolts securing the motorbox were too small and pulled through. A think piece of plywood and larger washers has solved that problem.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.