Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 09-21-2004, 09:19 PM
Skiufool

Trouble pulling propeller off

I purchased both the Harmonic prop puller and the Pro Pull kit from Overton's and neither one has had any success in pulling my propeller off. I have an '84 and it is seeming more and more like the propeller is the original one too! I can't get this thing to budge! My next option that I'm debating on trying is using a small propane torch and heat up the propeller hub just enough to loosen it up and pop off.

Any other ideas before I bring the torch to the prop?
Old 09-21-2004, 09:45 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 MariStar 210VRS 330hp Tower, Ballast, Bimini, 400w Clarion
You're on the right track. If it's been on that long, some heat is probably the only way you're going to get it off.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pristine, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "-- WOW--What a Ride!"
Old 09-21-2004, 10:34 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190
I sprayed mine down with some break free and let it soak in.

Got-r-done!
Old 09-21-2004, 11:12 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 MariStar 210VRS 330hp Tower, Ballast, Bimini, 400w Clarion
Good point, Farmer Ted... I shouldn't have assumed that would have been tried along with the pullers....

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pristine, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "-- WOW--What a Ride!"
Old 09-22-2004, 02:12 AM
Skiufool

Trust me...I've used PB Blaster and WD-40 several times. Then I would put the Harmonic puller on and whack it several hard times. Then take 2 hammers and whack the propeller hub on opposing sides all the way around the prop...and still nothing. The only other thing that could be done is use a hydraulic puller sort of thing...but that it is not in my tool box!

I think I'm going to try the torch tomorrow! Wish me luck!
Old 09-22-2004, 07:25 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190
go back and whack it some more, spray it and whack it hard (BriEOD ignore this please, think of the children!)

If your prop has been on for awhile it will take some convincing. I doubt that mine had ever been taken off; 98 190, amazing that the boat hasn't run aground but I digress...it took some major penetrant and brute force to get my prop off.

Trust in the force Luke...
Old 09-22-2004, 10:45 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Speaking of the force, I can't recommend highly enough picking up the original Star Wars Trilogy (somebody explain to Mark P what this is) on DVD. Watched two in a row last night - felt like such a geek.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:01 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC Maristar 225 VRS 1994 350TBI
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier
Speaking of the force, I can't recommend highly enough picking up the original Star Wars Trilogy (somebody explain to Mark P what this is) on DVD. Watched two in a row last night - felt like such a geek.
Be careful or Mag red boating mate will call you pathetic too.....
Old 09-22-2004, 04:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1995 225 VRS LT-1
Send a message via Yahoo to Leec
When you put the prop back on, please use some anti- sieze.

No one on their Death Bed ever said "I have too much Life Insurance!"

It's a Great Day at AAA !!!
Lee <><
Old 09-22-2004, 05:06 PM
Skiufool

Success at last!

Well I went and purchased a small $20 propane torch and went back out for round 2 with this thing. As I was putting the Pro Puller (C clamp style) back on to apply pressure to the propeller once heat was applied...the propeller popped off! I guess all that PB Blaster I applied yesterday finally did its job and it came off like it was supposed to!

And yes, I did put anti-sieze on the new propeller before it went on. I'm a Marine Engineer and have rebuilt Marine Water pumps (both Salt Water and Fresh water) many a times...Anti-sieze is my best friend!

Thanks for the help guys!