Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 03-10-2006, 12:59 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 78 stars and strips 351
is color marked on the vin.

So might 78 Stars and Strips is blue now how ever I think it might of been red at one time because thet are a cuple of spot where I can see
some what looks to be pinkis red. is there a way to know for shure the true color on the vin. or any other way.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:03 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Not according to how my owners manual tells how to read the Hull ID number! Sorry!
The only thing I can think of is the resin behind the gelcoat for the first layer of fiberglass and additional layers of glass and resin may develop a redish/pinkish tint to it, due to the chemical reaction that is created when the additional layers of resin and glasss are layed up! It definately won't be clear or white!

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 03-15-2006, 10:08 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190 Powerslot
This site looks interesting.

Per the website:
"Not sure of your boat color?
Can't find your color on this page? Click here to send us an e-mail with your Hull Identification Number (H.I.N.) and we will e-mail you the correct color and part number."

Give it a try.

Clicky on the linky!
Old 03-15-2006, 10:27 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
The VIN won't tell you the gelcoat scheme or color, but I bet someone in Vonore has records by VIN of what the original color of that boat was??

Last edited by Ric; 03-15-2006 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:41 AM
MC Master Poster

The Hill ID does indicate the color. If, as I assume, you need a gelcoat repair kit, you can call MC and ask them to tell you the color name and the color code, so a kit can be bought from them directly or from Spectrum (usually from Spectrum).

There have also been discussions in TT regarding gelcoat color and Hull ID indications.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:15 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN
The Hill ID does indicate the color. If, as I assume, you need a gelcoat repair kit, you can call MC and ask them to tell you the color name and the color code, so a kit can be bought from them directly or from Spectrum (usually from Spectrum).

There have also been discussions in TT regarding gelcoat color and Hull ID indications.

I just got my original '89 owners manual out and shows this under Boat Identification?

MBC-12-345-67-89

MBC= Master Craft Boat
12= Model Type
345= Serial No.
67= Date Of Manufacture
89= Model Year

I am comfused! I am assuming giving the Hull ID to a dealer or MC will reveal the color in MC's files and there isn't a Code in the Hull ID to indicate the color. I know on cars, trucks, etc there is a seperate plate/sticker giving a code as to the color of that particular vehicle.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Last edited by TMCNo1; 03-15-2006 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:33 PM
MC Master Poster

You're right, I just dug my info out and the color isn't in the VIN. However, calling MC and telling them what the VIN is will get it for anyone who needs to know.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:39 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN
You're right, I just dug my info out and the color isn't in the VIN. However, calling MC and telling them what the VIN is will get it for anyone who needs to know.
That is what I think 78's gonna have to do..... That or get a grinder out and find out what's under that topcoat
Old 03-15-2006, 12:46 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I've added this to the FAQ (now with handy table of contents).

From MYMC

Here is a simple guide to reading your hull ID. There are some exceptions to this due to last minute order changes so PLEASE view this as a GUIDELINE. Example: MBCAXAA1K304 The MBC (first three positions) stands for... you guessed it MasterCraft Boat Company. Position 4 = Engine type A= 5.7 TBI 1:1, C= 5.7 TBI PowerSlot, T= 8.1, H= 8.1 VRS, M= MCX 1:1, N= MCX 1.56 or VRS, U= 6.0 1:1, Z= 6.0 VRS Position 5 = Boat type A= PS190, B= PS190TT, C=PS197TT, X=PS197, T=PS209, V=MS230, U=MS210, L=X-Star, H=MS280, 2=PS205V Positions 6,7 and 8 Sequential serial number (never repeated in a model year) Position 9 = Month made A=JAN, B=FEB, C=MAR, D=APR, E=MAY, F=JUN, G=JUL, H=AUG, I=SEP, J=OCT, K=NOV, L=DEC Position 10 = Year made Use the last digit of the year made. In the example above the year made would be 2003 but the boat is a 2004 model. Positions 11 & 12 = Model Year The last two digits of the model year go here. The above example is a 2004.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:08 PM
MC Master Poster

what's this "faq" you speak of?