Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 03-09-2006, 02:55 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214, MCX, Mini-Tower
Wink Black Windshield Frame Prostar

Greetings fellow TMC owners. I have a 93 Prostar 190 with the Painted Black windshield frame.

My docking bungee with the bimni cover has rubbed some of the black paint from the frame and I am looking to repaint or touchup.

I was wondering if any of you had some insight on color, type of paint, or any other tips on doing the job right.

Any help is appreciated.

Looking forward to putting on some neoprene and hitting the Ohio waters in the next month or so.

Peace!

Rob

"Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."
Old 03-09-2006, 04:14 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Hi, Rob. Welcome. I've heard lots of people powder coating it. I think Erk said his dealer gave him some honda touch up paint.

It's through bolted onto the deck. It's not fun to take off/take apart, but I watched my dealer monkey with mine (for other reasons) two days ago and there's not that much to it (not that I'll be attempting it any time soon).

Good luck.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:44 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 Maristar 200VRS X2
Welcome Rob, where are you in Ohio?
Old 03-09-2006, 04:50 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214, MCX, Mini-Tower
Columbus area .... Lewis Center to be exact .... about 2 minutes from Alum Creek Marina and 15 minute East of O'Shay reservoir (where we do most of our skiing)

Been active in TeamMC since 2000 and monitored the TeamTalk but I finally decided to post a question .... where are you from ?

"Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."
Old 03-09-2006, 08:11 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 Maristar 200VRS X2
I'm out in Picktown....ski at Griggs mostly.

Take the family to Buckeye or Alum also.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:34 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Prostar190
Greetings fellow TMC owners. I have a 93 Prostar 190 with the Painted Black windshield frame.

My docking bungee with the bimni cover has rubbed some of the black paint from the frame and I am looking to repaint or touchup.

I was wondering if any of you had some insight on color, type of paint, or any other tips on doing the job right.

Any help is appreciated.

Looking forward to putting on some neoprene and hitting the Ohio waters in the next month or so.

Peace!

Rob
Any store that carries KRYLON has a semigloss and flat black spray that will match and you may need to mix the two to get the same sheen, but spray some in the lid, let it dry partially to thicken it up and apply with a small artist brush to the edges and frame ends and screw heads. If you are gutsy, you can tape out the glass and rubber and spray it if it's a large area, but spray the entire strip not just a spot. Be sure to sand with at least 1000 w/d and wipe with prep to prevent fish-eye. Last, but not least, for a somewhat temporary and quick touch-up for small areas and screw heads use a good quality permanent marker pen like MAGIC MARKER!

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 03-09-2006, 09:05 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: none
Good info TMC. The main problem is adhesion. MC had adhesion problems with the liquid paint that they used in the late 80's and even on the 93's. The paint peels off vents, pilons, grab rails, and windshields. Mine has the same problem. Poor surface preparation was probably the main cause. The paint that they used also had poor gloss retention.
On my 88', I sandblasted (done by a local shop) and then I powder coated the pilon, rub rails, and vents with great results but the windshield is a different story. It would need to be stripped, sanded, and primed. The seals would also need to be removed so that it could handle 350-400 degree cure temps, big job.
I would say that the best alternative for a complete restoration would be removal of the windshield, strip, mask and prime. Topcoat with a medium gloss automotive grade paint.
I have a few places to touch up on mine too, it's not bad enough for a full restoration though.
I also used Krylon fusion on the plastic vents with good results.
I'm sure that Jeremy and a few others could give some good advise on how they painted their windshield frames.

Last edited by stevo137; 03-09-2006 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:19 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Never had a real problem with my '89, other than the frame ends where it was cut to mfg. and a few small spots on the edges and screw heads. I cured any future problems on mine by applying a heat set vinyl non-abrasive non-skid material on all the outside surfaces, that looks like and feels like Rhino-Liner, but is smoother and is very durable and will not rub holes in your cover, cause we travel with our cover on, except locally! It stopped ANY future maintenance on the outside of the frame. It is made by PROSTRIPE, 6"x60' roll @ $55.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 03-10-2006, 12:47 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 78 stars and strips 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Prostar190

Any help is appreciated.

Peace!

Rob
Sorry to here that it got some of the paint got rubed off. However as for as the color I would say go with any color you want as long as it matchs the boat. For the best resalts I would have it powder coated. if that can be done. The powder coating proses includes baking in a oven so I'm not shure how cost a fective that would be.
You can have it powder coated in about any color you want. If you paint it do not use spray paint from the local hard where. I would use a good automotive paint thin you can add extra hardner to it if you have not use a paint gun before or mixed paint I would go to a local body shop and see what they would charge to do it. I would say it will be $200-$300. The more prep you do the cheeper it will be. Sanding it is not hard but protect the glass and dont use low grit paper you do not want to put nicks in the aluminum as it is prety soft. I would say use 250 grit if you dont feel comfertable useing sand paper you can also use brilo pads ( brown or green) white will be to corse. hay Good luck and have fun Show us some pic's when you done. oh ya if you paint it you self dont for get to add fish eye remover. and dont spray to thick at once it could run and or get orange peal. for what its worth

Last edited by 78skier; 03-10-2006 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:52 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: none
Not a good pic but this was the 88' after I powder coated the pilon, rub rails, and vents. They were all peeling badly when I bought the boat with about 370 hrs on it.
I used a high gloss super durable powder that will retain gloss for many years and there will not be a problem with adhesion.
I have seen some older MC's paint that held up fairly well and others that didn't.

Last edited by stevo137; 09-19-2007 at 11:31 PM.