Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 09-21-2004, 12:11 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1992 Prostar 190-Its red
Loose Rub Rail

How do you take the center part of the rub rail out so you can get at the rivets underneath? will i be able to reinstall it once its out?

92 PS190 - Its red.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:06 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
When I removed the insert from my '83 I think I carefully pried out an end at the transom and pulled it out. It went back in by setting the bottom edge of the insert in the rail and using a rubber mallet to tap it down until it snapped into position. Also, it helps to apply a little heat .
Old 09-21-2004, 06:56 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '85 Stars and Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterCrafting
How do you take the center part of the rub rail out so you can get at the rivets underneath? will i be able to reinstall it once its out?
my dad's business used to instal body-side molding on cars. the had this electric heating element that he would put in a bucket of water with the molding, it made it real soft a pliable. I don't know if you can get something like that at an auto parts store or not.
Click here if you need prayer, or wish to pray for those who do.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:36 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, Maristar 210 openbow, 1990, 351W
I was able to remove the insert in the center of the rub rail section. I used a couple of small flat head screw drivers and a rubber mallet. I needed to repair about a 3 foot section of the rail, and had to pull out about 8 feet of the rubber insert to get it out of my way. The insert can be cut or marred if you are not careful. The job was more of pain in the butt than it was difficult. I rate this at 2.5 beers for rub rail repair.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:50 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 190 with LT1
I replaced my rub rail and repaired some rivets this spring. To remove the rub rail, start at the end at the back (remove the plate that covers the ends). It wil come out by pulling. If you intend to reuse the insert, be careful, it will scratch if it rubs on the driveway or on a concrete floor etc.

I tried the hot water trick, and while it did soften the insert niceley, it cooled off very quickly. What worked for me was to work on about three feet at a time. Put the lower edge into the track, then heat that section of the insert with a heat gun (for stripping paint). Push the top edge down and in with 4 inch (dull) putty knife. You might also try spraying the track with a little soapy water.

It took me about an hour to get the new rub rail installed. It is a job that just sucks, but not difficult.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:33 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: ProStar 190 1996 LT1
MasterCrafting,
A quick fix for loose rub rail is silicone.
Make sure it is clean by using Rubbing Alcohol.
Then put the silicone under the rail.
Then use a good tape,and tape the rail down tight to the hull.
Make sure you get the tape good and tight so you don't leave hump in the rail.