Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 07-29-2004, 07:32 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 Triton 176 Mag
What's the best digital/video camera

Ok I know this was a topic on the old board, but I want to ask it here. I'm looking to buy a new camera soon, but I have limited knowledge on this subject. I see some of the pictures on this board are better than mine, any info will be great. I looking for one that does both video and digital. Thanks
Old 07-30-2004, 12:12 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2001 X10
I don't know if you saw my post to your comments of my shots; I use the Digital Rebel and I'm very happy with it.

Personally I wouldn't buy a camcorder or camera based on whether they can take stills or video clips. We have a Canon camcorder that can take still pictures - we never use it. We also have a digital camera that can take video clips - we have never used it.

But, if that's really what you want then go for it!

Here are some links to a couple of sites that helped me when I was looking for my first digital camera:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

http://reviews.cnet.com/Digital_came...ml?tag=ont.cam

Pay attention to the user's reviews & opinions; to me those were more valuable than the editor's reivews.

Hope this helps!
Old 07-30-2004, 12:17 PM
MC Maniac

Thank You, I don't know what I will do.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:47 AM
Leroy

How much do you want to spend or what you think you will use it for mostly?

I have never used the camera part of my camcorder, BTW, Movie Maker and other software will allow you to turn any camcorder frame into a picture and I do use that often. After going through ~7 camcorders, my RCA (the home team) mini-DV CC9370 has worked well for past 5-6 years. I have had my Olympus C3000 for 4 years and have >2500 images from it, look in the C series now. It has been great, good battery life, good viewer on camera, downloads easily, easy to use but with options if you want to take special pictures and at 3.3M image has been adequate. Was$499 when I bought it. Unless one breaks, don't plan to replace either camcorder or camera for several years.

Keep in mind the pictures you see on this board have all been shrunk to 700x700 pix or less.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:14 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Brad, all of the above information is right on the money. I am a supporter of the theory that you should keep your video and your still cameras separate. The resolution for mini DV in the reasonable price range looks to be about the same, but better than VHS to be sure. We've got a High 8 right now and are looking to upgrade soon as our framegrabbing software to digitize it drops frames like it's going out of style. Among the miniDV cameras in my price range, I'm keeping an eye on things like digital stabilization and amount of optical zoom. Cannon and JVC seem to meet my qualifications, but my research has been limited to date.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:53 PM
MC Maniac

Thanks gal and guys, I going to keep the two apart. I just want an awesome digital camera, so I can get better looking shots.
Old 07-31-2004, 02:29 PM
MC Master Poster

You can see comparisons on yahoo Shopping, too. For others, www.pcphotomag.com and www.outdoorphotographer.com have links to best prices and reviews.
Old 08-01-2004, 12:30 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
As for brands (for still cameras), I can't say enough good things about Cannon. Cannon gets a very photorealistic color translation whereas other brands I've seen seem to be attempting to enhance the colors to the extent that they look almost cartoonish. Be sure to hook it up to a printer and print yourself a copy before you buy.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-01-2004, 07:08 PM
MC Maniac

I'm going to look at cannon first.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:49 PM
trent1980

prolly closer to the highest quality action camera is the cannon markII -- i have a photography business and we shoot mostly surfing. We use the Nikon D2H (slr, 4 megapixel at 8shots/second) - here some photos from a couple weekends ago
http://www.trentontaylor.com/usg/07-20-04/index.htm