Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 03-06-2006, 06:24 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 X-9
Angry Wakeboarding Boats Banned

Our local government may be trying to ban wakeboarding boats on our local boarding/sking hotspot. One of the anticipated arguments is boat wake size and it's effects on other boats and the shoreline. My questions are:1) Has anyone else gone through this battle? 2) What were the results? and 3) Does anyone have information or studies performed of the effects of boat wakes on errosion?

Thanks.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:32 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Former Prostar 205 owner upgraded to an 05 Malibu vRide
Do a Google search on lakes like Lake Oswego, OR or Canyon Lake, CA. Also Malibu is supposedly working on a special boat that disables the ballast system.

In a nutshell 1)yes, it's been done. 2.)After wakeboarders, it'll be skiers & jetskiers..... everyone but canoers. 3)Not specifically, but check out the themalibucrew.com for the boat mentioned above. There was data to back it up.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, X-45, 2005, MCX 350,
So this lake doesn't have any inboard/outboard boats or cruisers.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:36 PM
MC Addict

Boat: SN196
Send a message via AIM to rodltg2
im all for it!
Old 03-06-2006, 06:58 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 Maristar 200VRS X2
Where did you hear this? where are they trying to ban them from?
Old 03-06-2006, 07:09 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: none
I going to give you my honest opinion. I have nothing against wakeboarding but it has gotten to the point on our lake that I have thought about getting out of the sport altogether.
The only time that you can ski is very early am and that's it. The lake is getting so crowded with wake boats and jetskis that it is actually getting dangerous. The wakes are huge and they tend to monopolize the best water on the lake for long periods of time. If you have never been in a ski boat and hit a wakeboard boat wake, I suggest that you try it sometime and then you will understand.
They send multidirectional wakes due to the fact that it seems like most of the boarders aren't very good and they fall quite frequently and the drivers circle around to pick them without slowing down very much.
And now they are building 40 new condos with slips which will magnify the problem. We aren't fortunate enough to have another lake that is very close and I'm not interested in trailering every time that I want to use my boat.
I think that in general, boarders and skiers don't totally understand each others sport and I'm not sure that most of the boarders that I see out there even need a wake of that size.
My optimism that we can all coexist on the same lake and enjoy our sport is fading quickly.

Last edited by stevo137; 03-06-2006 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:12 PM
MC Addict

Boat: SN196
Send a message via AIM to rodltg2
whats also ridiculoas is that lots of people think that they need a huge wake to wakeboard when they suck so bad that it would even matter.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:22 PM
Leroy

Bigger is better!

What about wakesurfing?
Old 03-06-2006, 07:25 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamstreng
Our local government may be trying to ban wakeboarding boats on our local boarding/sking hotspot. One of the anticipated arguments is boat wake size and it's effects on other boats and the shoreline. My questions are:1) Has anyone else gone through this battle? 2) What were the results? and 3) Does anyone have information or studies performed of the effects of boat wakes on errosion?

Thanks.
I will second the Canyon Lake story! My friend purchased a new Super Air Nautique, only to have it banned from the lake a few months later! I guess you just need to take up skiing!
Old 03-06-2006, 07:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, X-45, 2005, MCX 350,
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamstreng
Our local government may be trying to ban wakeboarding boats on our local boarding/sking hotspot. One of the anticipated arguments is boat wake size and it's effects on other boats and the shoreline.
Thanks.
Fact is that a ski boats wake are flat just behind due to two waves canceling each other out. Go back about 100 ft and there is a large wake. If the wakeboarders are banned, so are the slalom skiers. Id say is an all or nothing deal