Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 05-04-2006, 04:48 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuoyChaser
i was cleaning my teak swim platform on my 2005 last night and noticed right in the center between the two handles is a dark line with a knot in the center...sure enough it looks almost like a gouge...any suggestions on filling this in or protecting it???it is a good 1/4" deep and dark black...

looks like it was that way from the factory!!!

Sure has got me stumped, looks like someone tried unsuccessfully to repair a rotted area in the board and failed, yet the platform manufacturer used the piece of wood anyway to make the platform.
I would take it to my dealer, show it to him and see if they will get MC to replace it or get you another board to replace the bad board.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 05-04-2006, 04:51 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190 Anniversary, LT1
You shouldn't have to do anything to protect it. I have a 98 and one of the slats on my platform has a knot on it. I haven't done anything to the knot at all. I doesn't snag swimsuits or cause splinters and it hasn't changed in 8 years so I haven't messed with it. If the platform is new or the boat is new, request a new platform or request a new piece of teak and replace it.

"The truth is treason in the 'empire of lies'" - Ron Paul
Old 05-04-2006, 04:53 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
this is on the top surface, won't it be noticeable???
Sure, if you look close. But it's noticeable as it is. I'd either not worry about it or see what the dealer is willing to do for you.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:00 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft, Prostar 197, 2005, 350 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain planet
You shouldn't have to do anything to protect it. I have a 98 and one of the slats on my platform has a knot on it. I haven't done anything to the knot at all. I doesn't snag swimsuits or cause splinters and it hasn't changed in 8 years so I haven't messed with it. If the platform is new or the boat is new, request a new platform or request a new piece of teak and replace it.
another one to add to my short list when she goes back up to the dealer!!!def'n looked like someone had tried to patch it...really good match but the wood was so thin probably just held in with oil or something...

not sure if the board will match up but guess it will...let the dealer figure it out...
Stuff for Sale - http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skii...ood&search9=NH
Old 05-04-2006, 05:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, 19 FT, 1986 S&S, 351 Ford
Before and after shots. Shame on me for letting it go as long as I did.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2006, 06:17 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1990 Sea Ray
Talking

Well here is my teak. This is just after coat 6, and 2 on the bottom. Any ideas how I can get it to really shine? I'm not sure if I like the rough or shiny look, but so far I think its coming good. I regret not taking a before shot, it was pretty bad......Enjoy

Old 05-05-2006, 10:26 AM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
this is on the top surface, won't it be noticeable???

Measure and find the center of the space between the two grab notches in the outside rail and the center of the bad place from the inside edge and the outside edge of the board the bad spot is in. Drill a 2" dia hole or larger if the area will take one, dress the edges up with sandpaper, teak oil it and tell everyone it's a cup holder, if you don't want to install a plug or the dealer won't replace the platform.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 05-05-2006, 10:32 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft, Prostar 197, 2005, 350 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMCNo1
Measure and find the center of the space between the two grab notches in the outside rail and the center of the bad place from the inside edge and the outside edge of the board the bad spot is in. Drill a 2" dia hole or larger if the area will take one, dress the edges up with sandpaper, teak oil it and tell everyone it's a cup holder, if you don't want to install a plug or the dealer won't replace the platform.
great idea, especially tough holding on with one hand doin' my last set jacuzzi run...notice with the solid platform the fumes don't dissipate as much, here i thought they were makin' my beer stronger!!!
Stuff for Sale - http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skii...ood&search9=NH
Old 10-11-2006, 05:18 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1984 prostar
I did the same thing to my 84 s&s last year with a telephone pole and some bad backing advice. I shattered the outermost 'rib' so was worse than yours.

I took a fine cutting skill saw and cut the broken last slat out. (about 4") I then went to afurniture maker who had a piece of raw teak he sold me and then he used his equipment to shape/router it to match the original. I re-affixed with gorilla glue and 4 stainless steel screws drilled in parallel to the ground and countersunk and applied four small teak plug hole covers. then light sanding and oiled like crazy. A day or two of sun & lake and they now match.

My only flaw was using a touch too much Gorilla Glue, which will expand through the cracks hours after application.

i am pretty happy
Old 10-11-2006, 08:37 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1991 MasterCraft Prostar 190 PowerSlot
Send a message via AIM to DooSPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerojt
Well here is my teak. This is just after coat 6, and 2 on the bottom. Any ideas how I can get it to really shine? I'm not sure if I like the rough or shiny look, but so far I think its coming good. I regret not taking a before shot, it was pretty bad......Enjoy

what steps did you use, and what products did you use??? thats a beautiful plateform!!

Trying to keep slalom alive

Need a new prop to fit your needs? Call OJ PROPS 800-359-9730

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper View Post
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are stupid, than to open it and prove it"?