Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 02-26-2006, 02:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1
Steering problem?

So I'm checking off the list of things to take care of on the boat, one that I canít figure out is the steering.

If Iím idling and crank the wheel, there is NO tightness on the wheel at all. It is very easy to turn.

Once I am underway above 20ish the wheel is VERY hard to turn right, but easy to turn left. Is there something that is usual about this? Is there prop wash? Itís like I have to put all 160 lbs of me into the wheel to get the boat around.

Also once I get the wheel around to turn the boat around; it is IMPOSSIBBLE to get it back straight unless I get off the throttle all the way..... Any ideas?
Old 02-26-2006, 03:00 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190, fuel injected 302
Did you grease the zerk on the rudder? Mine was a little like that when I first got it, but a little grease and and some spray lube on the helm and both ends of the cable, and it was great.

'91 prostar 190
Old 02-26-2006, 03:52 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Definately check your rudder for slop or catching. Its possible that underload it is tweaking against itself and binding.

Other things to examine would be the condition of your steering cable, a left hand turn would extend the cable, a right would pull it into the sheath, so if you pull the floor, steer left and examine you may be able to see corrosion on the cable, clean that off and relubricate it as well as you can, then give it a try, hopefully you'll be able to remove all corrosion, and then you'll likely have easier steering.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:49 PM
TT Newbie

check the ball post clamp it might be worn out
Old 02-27-2006, 12:57 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 94' Maristar Indmar 350
Check out my posts titled hard steering, I have a similar condition and there might be some info there that might help. I havn't figured my problem out yet. Let meknow if you figure out the problem.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:01 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: SN 196 previous 93 stars&stripes 190 red
You may need to adjust the steering torgue by filing the rudder on one side. Do a search on this site about this.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:07 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Steering torque shouldn't make you back off to get centered again. If you have to right into it, and then out of the turn again something is off.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:27 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2002 X-30 & 1984 S&S
Same only different

I have an 84 and the steering is terrible, only opposite of yours. It's wicked tight until you get up to speed, and then it only takes two men and a small boy.
I was told there might be a fix/replacement that would help. Do I need to replace the steering system, or should I start somewhere specific and go from there? Any help would be great.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:27 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1983 SS, 1991 PS190
I have an '83 S&S. It has been my experience that if the steering is tight/stiff in both directions all the time or under way at idling speed, the cable is probably worn/crudded up with rust. I have had minimal success trying to re-lubricate the cable as the older MC's did not have a grease zerk on the cable (my '91 has a grease zerk in the cable but not the '83). In the 25 odd years I have had the S&S, I have replaced the cable twice, last night being the second time around. You can get a new cable at DIM or you might be able to pick one up on Ebay. The length of the cable on my '83 is 15 feet.

If the steering gets stiff/hangs up under load (turning/higher speed maneuvering) but is reasonably easy to turn at lower loads, the rudder shaft and rudder log are probably worn out. I am speaking from experience here. Unfortuneately, there are no replaceable bearings in the rudder assembly and the entire rudder and log must be replaced. I would recommend removing the rudder from the boat and examining the rudder shaft. Wear will be apparant on the shaft in the form of groves worn in the shaft where the shaft contacts the bearing surfaces in the log. Keep in mind, if the shaft exhibits wear, you have about the same amount of wear in the log too. With the rudder shaft installed in the log, any more than 1/8" to 3/16" slop from side to side at the bottom of the rudder is too much in my opinion.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:19 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2002 X-30 & 1984 S&S
Thanks for the advice, I'll check the cable. My rudder has a case of the wobbles too, about a 1/4 inch either way. Is that something available on 'DIM' as well?