Mostly in Fresh Water, but occasionally in Salt 11 6.55%
Always in Fresh Water - Never Salt 150 89.29%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-17-2004, 04:12 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 MariStar 210VRS 330hp Tower, Ballast, Bimini, 400w Clarion
MasterCraft to target the saltwater market

Do you use your boat in salt water?

VONORE, Tenn. – MasterCraft will introduce a new Saltwater Series line designed to promote the use of its products in bay area and intercoastal saltwater markets, the company said in a release yesterday.

The line includes MariStar 245 VRS, MariStar 280 VLD and MariStar 280 STS models with stainless components, sacrificial anodes, fully sealed wiring connectors, and Crusader “Captain’s Choice” engines, the company said.

“MariStars are seeing more action in saltwater, as inland skiers, wakeboarders and water sports enthusiasts relocate closer to coastal markets,” said Parker Stair, national sales manager. “Traditional saltwater boats just don’t have the same towing characteristics as we do, so it’s only natural that MasterCraft would equip these boats with the most saltwater-friendly components available.”

The MariStar 245 SS and MariStar 280 SS offer a choice of Crusader 330 hp, 375 hp or 425 hp GM Vortec engines. The MariStar 280 SST offers a choice of twin Crusader 5.7 liter, 330 hp engines, or 6.0 liter, 375 hp engines.

“About 15 percent of our customers take their MasterCrafts on saltwater,” said Ken Bernard, Cope McPhetres Marine in Seattle. “We’re excited about offering the new line to our customers.”

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pristine, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "-- WOW--What a Ride!"
Old 09-17-2004, 05:43 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: None
Send a message via AIM to aprgriggs Send a message via Yahoo to aprgriggs
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilM
Do you use your boat in salt water?

“About 15 percent of our customers take their MasterCrafts on saltwater,” said Ken Bernard, Cope McPhetres Marine in Seattle. “We’re excited about offering the new line to our customers.”
so far they are off.
Old 09-17-2004, 05:55 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
NaCL H20=Bad, Bad, Bad
Old 09-17-2004, 08:09 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Former Prostar 205 owner upgraded to an 05 Malibu vRide
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprgriggs
so far they are off.
This coming from a guy in Dallas who probably hasn't seen the Gulf in how long?

Ken is right. If you live on the coast, there are a lot of people who take their boats in the salt. Seattle had plenty when I lived there. The Sacrmento Delta area has tons of MC owners & tons of brackish water. Long Beach has quite a few MC owners.

A couple of mid 90s Maristar owners I know in Seattle have closed cooling systems & gone thru all the hardware & electrical to salt proof it & the boats still look & ski great..... almost 10 years later!

I'd guess there are as many or more on the right coast too.
Old 09-17-2004, 09:07 PM
MC Addict

Boat: MasterCraft PS205 351 HO
I think if I lived near the coast I could not resist..

The wife calls me abrasive
The kids call me Daddy Sweetwater
But the ladies, they just call me El Guapo
Old 09-18-2004, 12:37 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2001 X-star
I live in Orange county, Ca. There are a couple of places I can take the boat to within a half hour drive, but they are saltwater. The fresh water lakes are farther to get to. I have always been afraid of the cleanup needed to get all the salt out of the boat. It would be nice if MC build saltwater boats for people like me.
Old 09-18-2004, 03:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1992 Prostar 190-Its red
That would be a good idea but i dont think that many people would buy them becuase the ocean is almost never skiable but in a harbor or cove i guess it would be nice.

92 PS190 - Its red.
Old 09-18-2004, 04:44 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: None
Send a message via AIM to aprgriggs Send a message via Yahoo to aprgriggs
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirJunky
This coming from a guy in Dallas who probably hasn't seen the Gulf in how long?

Ken is right. If you live on the coast, there are a lot of people who take their boats in the salt. Seattle had plenty when I lived there. The Sacrmento Delta area has tons of MC owners & tons of brackish water. Long Beach has quite a few MC owners.

A couple of mid 90s Maristar owners I know in Seattle have closed cooling systems & gone thru all the hardware & electrical to salt proof it & the boats still look & ski great..... almost 10 years later!

I'd guess there are as many or more on the right coast too.
girl and I am just looking at the poll here online and comparing it to the stats that were given. I wouldn't take a ski boat on the gulf to much clean up.

Last edited by aprgriggs; 09-18-2004 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-19-2004, 02:54 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 MariStar 210VRS 330hp Tower, Ballast, Bimini, 400w Clarion
[quote=NeilM]

The MariStar 245 SS and MariStar 280 SS offer a choice of Crusader 330 hp, 375 hp or 425 hp GM Vortec engines. The MariStar 280 SST offers a choice of twin Crusader 5.7 liter, 330 hp engines, or 6.0 liter, 375 hp engines.
QUOTE]

Is this is the first time in a long time that MasterCrafts won't be powered by Indmar?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pristine, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "-- WOW--What a Ride!"
Old 09-20-2004, 01:13 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Former Prostar 205 owner upgraded to an 05 Malibu vRide
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprgriggs
girl and I am just looking at the poll here online and comparing it to the stats that were given. I wouldn't take a ski boat on the gulf to much clean up.
Oooops, sorry Aprgriggs. No offense.

Never have put my 205 in the salt & don't intend to as it's not prepped for it. But I've skied in Quartermaster cover off Vashon Island.... in Puget Sound, Long Beach in SoCal where there is a ski club that meets weekly, and Wilochet Bay near Gig Harbor, WA. Everyone of them had super flat conditions, no wind at all & we were behind a Mastercraft.

Had a buddy who taught ski lessons at Club Med down in the Carribean too. He said the conditions were usually great. As I recall they used a boat by the other guys though.