Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 02-19-2006, 03:45 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1992 MasterCraft ProStar 205
Old MC key blanks?????

Ok guys,

It seems my dealer has struck out on finding me a couple of uncut key blanks for my '92 205. His suggestion was to put in a new ignition! I really like the old key style and would like to find a couple.

Does anyone have a clue where I could get my hands on some?

Thanks
http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/s...00&ppuser=3253
Old 02-19-2006, 11:21 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Uhhhhh, nope. I guess I always figured I could go have a copy made at WalMart or Lowes. Have you called up a local locksmith? My keys have the nifty little MC thing on them, but from what I can tell, it can be removed and put on newer keys.

Sounds like I'm pretty much dead wrong on all of this stuff, huh?

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks ETS.

It is that nifty little MasterCraft thing that i would like to have. I can get keys at the locksmith, but it just wouldn't be the same. I'm sure you can understand.....

There has to be some of these sitting around somewhere in a dealers back room......
Old 02-19-2006, 02:24 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Former Prostar 205 owner upgraded to an 05 Malibu vRide
After someone leaned over & snapped that big round key off in the ignition, I pretty much avoided any big targets like the stock key. I have a much smaller version from a locksmith & it hasn't been broken off since.
Too bad MC didn't put the ignition over on the right instead, out of your passengers way.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:35 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123src
Thanks ETS.

It is that nifty little MasterCraft thing that i would like to have. I can get keys at the locksmith, but it just wouldn't be the same. I'm sure you can understand.....

There has to be some of these sitting around somewhere in a dealers back room......
So yours are gone I take it, not just broken?

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:43 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123src
Ok guys,

It seems my dealer has struck out on finding me a couple of uncut key blanks for my '92 205. His suggestion was to put in a new ignition! I really like the old key style and would like to find a couple.

Does anyone have a clue where I could get my hands on some?

Thanks
If I remember right per the MC parts dept. the keys are specific to the particular ignition set and there have never been any MC Blanks available for replacement purposes. If you have a particular key in mind and know the year model like your '02 205, get your dealer to try to get you a complete ignition switch with keys if they are still available. Over the years MC has changed styles of keys and you have a fairly good variety to choose from if you find one you like better than your original set.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Last edited by TMCNo1; 02-20-2006 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

OK guys,

Thanks for the answers. Not exactly good news for me, but at least I got the straight and narrow on the topic. The dealer did offer me a new key ignition set, but I really wanted the original key look for the early 90's. Oh well.....