Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Other

Old 02-18-2006, 06:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X5 2000
Aquaplane pics and plans

Not to theadjack too much the "old photo" thread, here is a new one for the aquaplane. with plans and pictures to build one.

I build one a few years ago for my kids using few materials:
a 1/4 inch plywood of 24" by 48"
6' of 1"X2"
12 feet of rope
2 cloth line tentioners
one hook
a wooden round handle 24" long X 1"dia
Some antislip tape.

First I cut the plywood with a round nose as in the picture below. Then sanded it and soaked it for 2 days in the lake using a cement block to keep it underwater.
Second I used some clamps and the picnic table to bend the front end (round tip) of plywood. I just inserted a couple of bricks between the front of the plywood and the table. Left it like this in the sun for the day. The result was quite good where I got a good 2" of curve in the front. For some reason I looked at it today and the curve is gone. I have no idea how long it has been like that but the aquaplane still worked last year with my niece.
Third, I screwed 3 pieces of 1X2 to make the plywood stiffer in torsion. (see picture)
4th I drilled holes for the rope and installed the hook, cloth line tentioners and handled adjusting everything with knots.
1 or 2 years later I installed small triangular fins under the board (similar to our old 1960 wooden water skis) as in the second picture.

This device has been working good for many years. It probably has been used for 20-30 hrs and still holds. It is designed for kids as it will flex a lot with us riding it and it becomes highly unstable (slippery) at higher speed when turning. I do not recommend this for adults.

My kids started on it at 2 and 3 years old behind the row boat and the 4HP Evinrude. VERY SLOWLY. Kids will go at plane around 1-2 MPH

Pics to follow
Old 02-18-2006, 06:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

picture of the top of the aquaplane
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2006, 06:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

picture of the bottom
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2006, 06:36 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
We've built disks before, never given a try to an aquaplane. Although, i have plywood, and some old wakeboard fins that'd be sweet. Maybe give it a go.