Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 02-22-2006, 08:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes powerslot
Any ideas for the dash panels? I saw a tip in a Rod & Custom magazine years ago where they used a drill press and some type of abrasive thing to make swirls on the metal. Any other ideas out there?
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2006, 09:04 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft, Stars and Stripes, 1983, 351 W.
Send a message via AIM to SKI*MC Send a message via MSN to SKI*MC
Get it painted the same color as the boat when you get that far...? Have it chromed?
Old 02-22-2006, 09:14 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
What you are refering to is called jeweling. It is very commonplace to do it to rifle bolts etc. It would look very trick. But it depends what look you are going for, the jeweled dash would take a LONG time to do, ie. to do one side of a ruger 10/22 bolt takes upwards of 30 minutes using that technique, and w/ the drill press method. I think it would be classy looking. Keep in mind that each movement of the material must be carefully monitered and precise as well as very small ie. a couple mm per time.

Check out the following link. It is a firearm related site so i hope no one takes offense. But it is an accurate description of the process. And you will need to make a jig to hold the piece still and allow the accurate movements required. Depending you may decide to make larger swirl marks, or make it more random, like the brushed aluminum you see around guages on speed boats etc. That's your choice...

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=116961
Old 02-22-2006, 10:26 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dichdoc
Any ideas for the dash panels? I saw a tip in a Rod & Custom magazine years ago where they used a drill press and some type of abrasive thing to make swirls on the metal. Any other ideas out there?
Is that dash alunimum or alunimum colored plastic?
Mine was plastic with wood grain and it was cracking so I replaced it with 1/4 in. oak plywood with about 10 coats of Helmsman Spar Urethane.

If your is aluminum you may want to see it you can find a place to get it anodized locally, they can anodize in most any color. Paint is another choice, but it can chip easier.
It may be tough to get the swirl finish on it as it in the area of the bends if you go that way.

This is my oak dash.
Attached Images

Last edited by ski_king; 02-22-2006 at 10:36 PM.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:44 AM
MC Maniac

I was thinking he'd do swirl up to a certain line, then he could polish the corners... you can get the jeweled surface to do all sorts of things w/ some patience.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Great Rsponses thanks for the link to the web site and the name of the process. I'm going to keep researching it, I think I'd do it in three sections with a little larger diameter "swirl". I took the day off today for a change of scenery, Ross Peak in the Bridger Range 30 inches of snow on the 21st and 22nd.
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2006, 11:47 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1979 Stars & Stripes Skier
Quote:
Anyone able to tell me about the stickers? The round one was on both sides the letters and numbers on the passenger side only. Wondering if the gel coat will buff out enough or if I'll have to have some kind of replacement made.
You can find those stickers on this site in the Marketplace, I got two for my boat and they look great.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Here's my first attempt at jeweling. I used a 2" scotchbrite pad (the kind that chucks into a die grinder, etc.) Chucked into my drill press and just free handed it to see if it would work on some scrap. I'd use a more precise vise on the final run. Do you think 2" circles are to large?
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2006, 10:17 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 Prostar 190
Quote:
Here's my first attempt at jeweling. I used a 2" scotchbrite pad (the kind that chucks into a die grinder, etc.) Chucked into my drill press and just free handed it to see if it would work on some scrap. I'd use a more precise vise on the final run. Do you think 2" circles are to large?

If you can do that to your dash it will look sweet!

Great idea
Old 02-24-2006, 10:24 PM
MC Maniac

Maybe go one size smaller. You want to keep it noticeable, but i think 2" makes for too few rows. More rows will probably show better since you are going to have guages and the steering wheel etc. covering up your nice work. Therefore i think making more circles will likely look better.

Also this can be redone over itself if you screw up, i'm sure the link i posted before mentioned this, but the swirls are real shallow if they're done w/ the compound described. I'm not sure using the scotchbrite pad how deep they go.

But good luck, I might have to redo the cracking plastic on our 88 this summer... Might just have to copy your thought pattern.