Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 05-04-2015, 08:00 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1989 Maristar 240 open bow, 454
89 Maristar open bow refurbishment

Hello all,

I thought I'd jump in and air my dirty laundry (err, boat) like the rest. I picked up an 89 Maristar open bow with a big block and a junk trailer. I love the lines on this boat and wanted something to fit a bunch of people and handle slightly bigger / choppy water. The PO didn't have a lift large enough to pull it out of the water so he would crank it up until the buoyancy gave out and let the rest sit in the water. It was and still is a mess but we're slowly bringing her back to life. Some minor blistering along the chines on the bottom that the local shop can fix this winter. Thanks to Mary Kate's and all the tips from the site she is on the road to recovery. First was to clean her up and peel off the old stickers. I was hoping the gelcoat line was fairly straight and turned out to be pretty good. The old Maristar logo and the PO's boat name came off and a new Mastercraft logo (thanks mikeg205!) went in it's place. Some wet sanding on the back and 3M polish and she was shining again. The big block runs great and has low hours. New stereo, amp, and six speakers went in this weekend. We'll leave the interior alone until the season ends as we're too excited to be without her for any length of time! More to come.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sconnie; 05-04-2015 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-04-2015, 08:11 PM
TT Regular

EDIT!! Sorry, typed in Prostar instead of Maristar. I was talking to my buddy about his boat while typing and had Prostar on the brain!!!!

I edited the thread title as you can see above, but it's still showing up as Prostar on my end.

Last edited by Sconnie; 05-04-2015 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:01 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC ProStar 209, 2001, LTR, Blue
Welcome and congrats on your new boat. Lots of good info here and many ppl willing to tell you what works and what to stay away from. All you have to do is ask. Enjoy!
Old 05-05-2015, 02:44 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 Sport
Great boat! Looks like they left the trailer in the water too!! Salt water boat?
Old 05-05-2015, 02:53 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
welcome - looking forward to more pics~ and thanks
Old 05-05-2015, 09:16 PM
TT Regular

Not a salt water boat, but it looks like it. Maybe the PO used it to haul his sleds in the winter as the only thing I know of that can do that kind of damage is some good old Wisconsin road salt! I don't know how you rot a boat trailer for a boat that sat on a lift most of its summers and held it in storage in the winters.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:32 AM
TT Regular

Hey guys,

Probably the last boat pics for the season, we're going to use the boat now and do a little more this winter. Off-season plans are new vinyl, new carpeting, wet sand (already did the stern and it worked great), and MAYBE pull the motor and get a few more HP out of her. The last one depends on if my retired machinist father has time. He's the president of every damn gun club and fishing club in the county now and is usually as busy as I am. My vinyl people will store the boat indoors for free if they can have it as filler work over the winter. Works for me!

I'll post the trailer when I get that done. There is much cutting and welding in my future. The trailer is structurally sound, but I need new fenders and need to fab up a new rear drop cross member. The latter is so rusted it's flaking apart in the layers it was rolled into as raw steel. Also, new bearings, drum brake assemblies, brake lines, and surge coupler. After that I have buddies with auto body shops who will trade a paint job for some electrical work. Cheapest quote I got for a new trailer was $4,500.00 and I'm sure I can rebuild it for less than half that. Used trailers for a direct drive boat this big seemed to be non-existent. Any ideas or lines on used trailers are appreciated!

Cutting holes for new speakers. The PO cut the stock holes bigger for some aftermarket K-mart units. I think he had his dog chew the fiberglass. Had to go to 7" speakers here. The Alpines do sound great so no regrets. Menard's drum sander kit did the trick, $8.00. I like to live dangerously so I did it in shorts and flip flops.

A small amp and power distribution. As I get older my amps get smaller.

New receiver and LED lighting. LED cupholders and transom lighting are in transit. Hey, I'm an electrician. No excuse not to have cool lighting.

Registration numbers on. Thanks again to MikeG205 for cluing me in the font. The Hemi Head italic is pretty dang close. Left over crud from being stored in the water can be seen on the bottom. It will get cleaned up someday.

At the local watering hole for some lunch. The guy next to me made a disparaging comment about the age and shape of the boat. I didn't say a word and fired up my 454 while his 3 liter wheezed to life. Speak softly but carry a big block, or something like that. Keep in mind my wife was skiing on 2 teams when we met so this is more her boat than mine. She is normally very reserved but nobody disses her baby. She said to the guy "I have a Prius, too. How do you like yours?" He pretended he didn't hear her. We're not ones to diss anybody's boat, but if you start watch out....
Old 05-10-2015, 02:02 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1988 ProStar 200, 1991 Mercury 2.5L 200hp XRi Outboard
Boat shined up well. Really like the green flake.

Wonder what the other guy's runabout will look like when it's 26 year's old?

Enjoy your Summer.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:23 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
sweet boat - people only diss other boats when they are jealous...
Old 05-10-2015, 10:32 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbeamlb View Post
Boat shined up well. Really like the green flake.

Wonder what the other guy's runabout will look like when it's 26 year's old?

Enjoy your Summer.
Thanks! There is some fading that I'm sure I can sand out. I did the stern as a test and it shines like new. I like the flake, too, and think it's cool that some of the newer boats are sporting it in lieu of the extreme sports jacked up on Redbull graphics of a few years ago.