Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 02-17-2006, 11:28 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190 Powerslot
Question Motor Box Gas Springs on 91 ProStar?

I am the second owner of a 1991 Prostar 190. It has never had gas springs attached to the motor box/engine cover as long as I've owned it (4 years).

When I open the engine cover, I just flop it back on the back seat cushion (when it's in - which is almost never), or I have to find something to put between the box and the floorboard, otherwise there is lots of tension placed on the hinges, screws, and floorboard at the attachment point.

Did the 91 Prostar come with gas springs originally? If so, where were they attached (pictures?) and how many were there (1 side or both).

Thanks again
Old 02-20-2006, 03:41 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190, 351 Indmar
Surprised that no one responded. I think there is an old thread about this somewhere. I know my '89 didn't come with them. I've thought of adding them also, butit's a ways down on my list of projects. I share your concern, when mine is open, it squishes my back seat, or rubs on the rear edge of the boat if the seat is out, and it already had a small tear from this when I got the boat.

I would think it could be done relatively easy, but placement and proper sizing would be important. For sure you'd want two. I'd think you would want to match how they did it whenever they started coming with them from MC. I would guess by 92 or 93?
Good luck
1989 ProStar 190 with "Safe T Top", 351 Ford, GT 40 heads painted Ford Blue, Elec. Ign, 1:1, 720 hours, 4 blade prop, PP 6.5, removable platform brackets, custom color from factory, hot water shower, Boat Buddy & LED lights on trailer
2010 D3 Z7, 2 @ 32 off, 34 mph so far
Old 02-20-2006, 03:49 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Former Prostar 205 owner upgraded to an 05 Malibu vRide
My brother added them to an 88.

I'd have to look at the gas springs on the boat to tell you exactly what ones to use. But their on both sides & use these pieces on my 94.

On the Engine cover

On the floor

Also, more info here.

Last edited by AirJunky; 02-20-2006 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:35 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Air Junky, can you get the info on the gas springs (mfg, model, etc) your brother used on his 88 and the placement of both the mounting brackets measured from some point of reference? How bout some pics? I think there are several of us that would love to make this upgrade!

Also, my 92PS190 comes with a metal "kick stand" that is hinged at the front of the motor cover and is held inplace by a clip when the motor cover is down....damn thing falls out all of the time

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 02-27-2006, 10:37 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
Overton's sells the shocks as well.....
Old 02-27-2006, 10:52 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Shocks prevent it from opening as far, and get in the way for service. That's why alot of people who have them remove them anyway.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:04 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 PS190
Shocks prevent it from opening as far, and get in the way for service. That's why alot of people who have them remove them anyway.
After more research and talking to some 91 Model owners on this site (Bert), I found out that instead of gas shocks there was a prop rod on the 91, much like you would find on most japanese automobile hoods. It would drop down and fit in a hole in the engine cover "stop block". On mine, I can see where the original hinge was (marks and holes on the carpet) and I still have the little angle piece that held it place when it wasn't in use.

The rod, instead of shocks, actually seems like a more reasonable solution (tho' less high tech - ergo, poorer marketing value) in that it doesn't limit how much you can open the engine cover and you can put out of the way when necessary.

Now if I could just get the dimensions or find a replacement.

Here is a limited view of the rod on Upper Michigan Prostar190's ride.

Last edited by TonyB; 02-28-2006 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:31 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
The gas springs on the motorbox were first standard equipment in 1993.

As far as dimensions go, if I'm not mistaken, you can still order replacements from a MC dealer with the proper brackets and all. If you like, I can measure mine to give you the proper locations on the floor and motorbox for the attachment points.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:46 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier
The gas springs on the motorbox were first standard equipment in 1993.

As far as dimensions go, if I'm not mistaken, you can still order replacements from a MC dealer with the proper brackets and all. If you like, I can measure mine to give you the proper locations on the floor and motorbox for the attachment points.
I appreciate that east tex, but I'm going to see if can find the original stock prop rod first. Failing that, I will need measurements and locations for installing gas shocks.

Air Junkey directed me to a link that identified the engine cover gas shocks part number as SPD-5150-30A. The NAPA equivalent part # is 819-5563.

You sir, are a scholar and a gentleman.

Thanks.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1992 MC Prosport 205, 285 HP
causewayskiier

The gas shocks are difficult to get just right. I installed a couple on my 92 Prosport 205. When the motor cover is closed there is pressure on the hinges and will cause the screws on the hinges to pull out of the engine box or floor boards. I guess if you get the placement just right you may be able to fix this. The engine prop rod isn't a perfect solution either, my hinging piece corroded and wouldn't hold the rod in place. Good luck.