Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 02-16-2006, 10:46 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft X7, 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to mrcrowson
Question Anyone Have This Problem?

I am wondering what is causing this to happen to my steering wheel? Anyone else out there that is having this happen and if so what do you think is causing it to happen and how can ya make it black again.
Attached Images

For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. [1 Timothy 6:7]

www.AmbientLightingCorp.com <-- Professional Landscape Lighting
Old 02-16-2006, 10:51 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Probably sweat, water, sun, sunblock, friction, and all the other things on your hands (or that act on the wheel) while you're driving. I've seen this happen in cars plenty of times. They make what are essentially paints to use on leather, and I had a friend use it on his truck's steering wheel. Results were so-so at best though.

You could also get a steering wheel cover, but it may not look too good either (although I've seen some leather covers that you sew on yourself look pretty good.

You could take it to an upholstery shop to have it recovered. Or just buy a new steering wheel. I'll bet that's not what you wanted to hear.

I may sound like a broken record, but hitting the wheel with 303 regularly might slow this down.

Question, you ever put armour all on it? That stuff can dry things out in a hurry.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:57 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 MasterCraft ProStar 197, MCX
Yep...have an '05 197 and steering wheel looks just like yours. I haven't applied a thing to it. Figured it was just the sun fading out the leather. One trick I was going to try on it for the coming season was like East said - give it a shot of 303 protectant and see what happens. Hasn't gotten so bad that it really bugs me, otherwise I probably would have inquired at my local dealer. However, I've only put 60 hours on the boat, so one wouldn't expect the leather? to age so quickly.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:05 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Tristar 190, 1989 / Maristar 210 2002
Send a message via MSN to LakePirate
Did you hang a life vest on it at any time or maybe a towel?

I would imagine that a neoprene vest will transfer color to leather when wet and that might be it. I know that neoprene sure did turn my leg blue when I used to wear a knee brace while playing football.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:14 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft X7, 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to mrcrowson
I have tried 303, and the photo shows what it does for it. I do know we use waterproof sunscreen and thats about it. I also do not hang anything over the wheel YO Jim@BAWS what do you think?

It only has around 60 hours. Maybe it will go away after I hit 100 hours?

For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. [1 Timothy 6:7]

www.AmbientLightingCorp.com <-- Professional Landscape Lighting

Last edited by mrcrowson; 02-16-2006 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:47 PM
MC Hero

I think it's a little soon for the color to get rubbed off the wheel if you want my personal opinion. That said, I was suggesting the 303 as a preventative thing for next time around as opposed to something that would make it look new again.

Not to say that it doesn't have that effect in some instances, i.e., tires, but I wasn't anticipating that being the case with a steering wheel.

Good luck.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:50 PM
MC Hero

Here's my wheel. 13+ years old with no regular maintenance other than what's left on the rag after I wipe everything else down with 303 every so often.

Like I said before, I'd be bummed, too if it happened at 60 hours.
Attached Images

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 02-16-2006, 12:53 PM
Leroy

I've never seen it, have you tried any of the leather treatments, Lexol, and others? Assuming it is leather they restore my leather pretty well.

Looks like a pattern burned in also, any explanation from your side how that happens?
Old 02-16-2006, 01:19 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
Running home to look at my steering wheel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-16-2006, 01:22 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
I've got the same problem on my 05 PS197 and I am always putting 303 on my wheel. In addition, and YES I AM ANAL RETENTIVE... I always wipe my hands prior to touching the wheel (granted I am not the only one to drive the boat). Also, the wheel is always covered whenever we are just lounging around on the lake, I take a towel and drape it overthe windshield and onto the back of the drivers seat.
So... to make a long story short, a friend had the same issue on his X10 and the dealer is going to replace the wheel under warranty from what he said.