Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 02-15-2006, 02:11 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 78 stars and strips 351
Perfect Pass/ cruse

Hello to all the great ones

I have been thinking about puting a perfect pass system on my boat I have a 78 stars and strips. I know how they work but I don't know the best rute there is a wide varity to chose from $300 to $1400 pluss so what do you guys think. I don't know on this one and will they work without electronc trotal control. Thaks everyone Dave
Old 02-15-2006, 10:01 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78skier
Hello to all the great ones

I have been thinking about puting a perfect pass system on my boat I have a 78 stars and strips. I know how they work but I don't know the best rute there is a wide varity to chose from $300 to $1400 pluss so what do you guys think. I don't know on this one and will they work without electronc trotal control. Thaks everyone Dave
If you ski a course seriously, go all out and get the full Perfect Pass Digital Pro. If you ski a course every so often or are a recreational free-skier, then Perfect Pass Digital Pro is a waste of money IMHO. Likewise, Wakeboard Pro is a waste of money unless you actually (and seriously) wakeboard or some other low-speed water sport. I hydrofoil a lot behind my boat, and I use RPM mode instead of speed mode because he location of the paddlewheel speed sensor on my boat doesn't give as consistent a pull as RPM mode in some circumstances.

There's nothing wrong with PP Cruise if you're on a budget, or if you don't want to cut a 2 inch diameter hole in the hull bottom of your boat. Slalom mode on Perfect Pass (DP or WP) is just an RPM hold - same as Cruise.

Last edited by bigmac; 02-15-2006 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:07 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
What follows is just one guy's opinion

I'd say if you have access to a course, and plan to ski it on ocassion, just go for digital pro. Odds are that you'll discover you really love it and want to do it a lot more.

On the other hand, if money is an object, but course skiing is a possibility go with PP plus, and upgrade with mag sensors if need be.

If you wakeboard, WB pro is the only option with a speed (paddle wheel) based control, which is more suitable for pulls under 24 mph or so (according to PP). I've never really had a lot of luck with speed mode, but I really haven't messed with it enough to be certain. WB Pro is identical to digital pro, but doesn't have the mag sensor. and hand timer.

When I bought my perfect pass two years ago, I went through this same process. I was just starting to mess with the course and the guys I was skiing with were very serious about it all. Without PP in my boat, I couldn't reciprocate pulls because they were training and needed consistency. So I dropped a few hundred extra bucks that I'm not missing two years later. I don't regret my purchase in the least even though I'm not in the course 24/7.

If all you're doing is recreational skiing, PP Cruise will be plenty.

The newest version 6.5 n or ng (new guage) will work with your boat. Just tell them you have a 78 MC with a 351 (presumably). 6.5 ng works great on my carbed 351 HO.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Last edited by east tx skier; 02-15-2006 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:05 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190, 351 Indmar
Just another proponent for Perfect Pass here, and agree with Bigmac and Eastie above. I put it in my '89 ProStar last year, and it made a huge difference in the consistency of the pull for me. The newer boats hold speed better than mine, but it's noticeable on those too. I realized that we were slowing my boat down almost 2 mph when cutting across the wake. I'd guess you could slow yours down even more due to the lighter weight.
I've never used cruise, so can't compare the differences. If it works like a car's cruise, and just holds the cable, it might not help much.
The master control module is the same between Digital Pro and Wakeboard Pro, so if you get into course skiing you can add the smart timer to the WP to get DP. I found a WP used and saved some cash - more than enough to get a timer to make mine DP.
Also makes it much easier on the driver - my wile loves it!
Good luck!
1989 ProStar 190 with "Safe T Top", 351 Ford, GT 40 heads painted Ford Blue, Elec. Ign, 1:1, 720 hours, 4 blade prop, PP 6.5, removable platform brackets, custom color from factory, hot water shower, Boat Buddy & LED lights on trailer
2010 D3 Z7, 2 @ 32 off, 34 mph so far
Old 02-15-2006, 12:41 PM
MC Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin 89MC
I've never used cruise, so can't compare the differences. If it works like a car's cruise, and just holds the cable, it might not help much.
Cruise is an RPM hold/resume. I don't know about the control module differences between Cruise and DP/WP, but slalom and jump mode on those two are just RPM hold too. Paddlewheel information to the module for controlling speed based on speed-through-the-water is only available up to about 24 mph.

AKAIK, the big difference between Cruise and DP/WP (other than actual speed information from the paddlewheel) is the ability to dial in a desired RPM rather than accelerating to that RPM and pushing "hold". IOW, Cruise works like cruise control on an automobile.

It is worth noting that installing WP or DP on an older boat requires cutting a 2" hole in the hull for the paddlewheel. Cruise does not.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:10 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190, 351 Indmar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac
Cruise is an RPM hold/resume. I don't know about the control module differences between Cruise and DP/WP, but slalom and jump mode on those two are just RPM hold too. Paddlewheel information to the module for controlling speed based on speed-through-the-water is only available up to about 24 mph.

AKAIK, the big difference between Cruise and DP/WP (other than actual speed information from the paddlewheel) is the ability to dial in a desired RPM rather than accelerating to that RPM and pushing "hold". IOW, Cruise works like cruise control on an automobile.

It is worth noting that installing WP or DP on an older boat requires cutting a 2" hole in the hull for the paddlewheel. Cruise does not.
Cool . . . then I could see cruise being perfect for the rec. skier. I think I'll start another post rather than TJ here . . .
1989 ProStar 190 with "Safe T Top", 351 Ford, GT 40 heads painted Ford Blue, Elec. Ign, 1:1, 720 hours, 4 blade prop, PP 6.5, removable platform brackets, custom color from factory, hot water shower, Boat Buddy & LED lights on trailer
2010 D3 Z7, 2 @ 32 off, 34 mph so far
Old 02-15-2006, 01:20 PM
MC Hero

Quote:

PP Plus does not require a paddle wheel. Add a timing sensor and you've got DP without the speedo.

I think the Basic Cruise still allows you, once you have set the desired rpm value by pushing the button at speed, to stop/idle, then go back up on the throttle until it reengages on its own. ICBW though.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:25 PM
MC Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier
PP Plus does not require a paddle wheel. Add a timing sensor and you've got DP without the speedo.
That makes sense, since all the ski modes are RPM-based.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:28 PM
MC Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin 89MC
Cool . . . then I could see cruise being perfect for the rec. skier. I think I'll start another post rather than TJ here . . .
Perhaps I should clarify...Cruise is the hold/resume component, whereas Digital Pro/Wakeboard Pro allow you to pre-set a speed. It does require that you calibrate the boat's speedometer to a given RPM.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:38 PM
MC Hero

Quote:
That makes sense, since all the ski modes are RPM-based.
But it retails for $950. So at that point, if you're going to buy the timing sensor, why not just look for a deal on DP.

It's all so expensive. I ebayed a bunch of stuff to pay for mine.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club