Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 12-10-2007, 10:36 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 w/tower
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbryan70
alright im cooking dinner for the gf's parents and mine.....any ideas? somthing good but simple. itialian? we were thinking mancotti, dont have a smoker, no fish
Here's something easy but will look fancy!

Chicken Piccata Pasta Toss Recipe

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/3 pounds chicken breast tenders, cut into 1-inch pieces
Salt and pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 shallots, chopped
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup white wine
1 lemon, juiced
1 cup chicken broth or stock
3 tablespoons capers, drained
1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1 pound penne rigate pasta, cooked to al dente
Chopped or snipped chives, for garnish

Heat a deep nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add a tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil and the chicken to the pan. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Brown chicken until lightly golden all over, about 5 to 6 minutes. Remove chicken from pan and return the skillet to the heat. Reduce heat to medium. Add another tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter, the garlic and shallots to the skillet. Saute garlic and shallots 3 minutes. Add flour and cook 2 minutes. Whisk in wine and reduce liquid 1 minute. Whisk lemon juice and broth into sauce. Stir in capers and parsley. When the liquid comes to a bubble, add remaining 1/2 tablespoon butter to the sauce to give it a little shine. Add chicken back to the pan and heat through, 1 to 2 minutes. Toss hot pasta with chicken and sauce and serve. Adjust salt and pepper, to your taste. Top with fresh snipped chives.

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :
Old 12-10-2007, 10:40 AM
MC Addict

Flat Iron Steak with Red Wine Sauce

2 (1-pound) flat iron steaks or tri-tip steaks
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for garnish
6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 1/2 cups dry red wine

Prepare the grill or barbecue (medium-high heat). Sprinkle the steaks with salt and pepper and drizzle with the 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Grill to desired doneness, about 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer the steaks to a cutting board. Tent with foil and let stand 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Season with salt. Add the garlic and oregano and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Whisk in the wine. Simmer until the sauce reduces by half, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat. Strain the sauce into a small bowl, pressing on the solids to extract as much liquid as possible. Discard the solids in the strainer and return the sauce to the saucepan and bring back to a slow simmer. Cut the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter into small 1/2-inch chunks and whisk in the sauce a little at a time. Season the sauce, to taste, with salt and pepper.

Thinly slice the steaks across the grain. Divide the steak slices among 6 plates. Drizzle the sauce over the steak, drizzle a little more extra-virgin olive oil and serve.

Flat iron steak is cheap and is the new trendy meat to serve. Dad's will love it and mom's will freak at how tender it is. I pound it out before cooking!

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :
Old 12-22-2007, 03:35 PM
MC Addict

OK, short story before this recipe. My grandmother passed away just before Christmas last year. She was famous for bringing horrible deviled eggs to the family Christmas every year. Somebody would have to eat them and it always was a joke because we would make a big deal out of them and she thought they rocked. Well when we gathered for Christmas after her death...I was the smart ars who showed up and brought a big dish of deviled eggs. We have a very twisted sense of humor in our family so it pissed a couple of people off but the rest understood the humor and tribute. Well this year we got our invitation to the family Christmas and I have been assigned Deviled Eggs to bring! Here's to you Nanny! Merry Christmas and I hope you are enjoying a Pearl Light with Pa! These Deviled Eggs rock!!!!

Chicken Salad Deviled Eggs

Paprika Paprika
Ground black pepper Ground black pepper
2 T freh parsley leaves, minced 2 T freh parsley leaves, minced
2 T fresh-squeezed lemon juice 2 T fresh-squeezed lemon juice
3/4 c mayonnaise 3/4 c mayonnaise
2 scallions, white and green parts, minced 2 scallions, white and green parts, minced
2 medium celery ribs, cut into small dice 2 medium celery ribs, cut into small dice
6 eggs 6 eggs
Salt, divided Salt, divided
1 T vegetable oil 1 T vegetable oil
2 large whole, skin-on, bone-in, chicken breasts (at least 1-1/2 lb ea) 2 large whole, skin-on, bone-in, chicken breasts (at least 1-1/2 lb ea)

Added To Shopping List!Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Set the breasts on a small foil-lined, rimmed baking sheet. Brush each breast with the oil and sprinkle generously with salt to taste. Roast in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and place the chicken breasts on a wire rack to cool.

3. Meanwhile, place the eggs in a medium saucepan, cover with 1 inch of water and bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from the pan and let sit for 10 minutes, covered.

4. Fill a medium bowl with 1 quart of water and 1 tray of ice cubes. Transfer the eggs to the ice-water bath with a slotted spoon and let sit for 5 minutes. Crack and peel. Slice each egg in half lengthwise with a sharp, thin-bladed knife. Remove the yolks and place them in a large bowl. Arrange the whites on a serving platter, cut-sides up.

5. For the chicken, remove the skin and bones and discard. Use your hands to pull each breast apart and shred the meat into small chunks.

6. Mash the yolks with a fork and stir in the shredded chicken, celery, scallions, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and parsley. Mix well to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.

7. Using a table spoon, scoop a generous amount of the chicken salad mixture into the egg white halves. (Save any leftover salad for sandwiches later.) Sprinkle each deviled egg with a dash of paprika. Store, covered, in refrigerator until ready to serve.

I just sauteed the chicken and put everything in the food processor!

Merry Christmas!!!!!

Old 12-22-2007, 10:50 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1994 Prostar 205, Indmar 5.7 w/ Velvet Drive 1:1
The family Chili recipe. Great for the cold weather we have here right now.

1.5-2lbs ground beef
2 tbs onion flakes
2 tbs chili spice
1 tsp cayenne (I usually double this)
1 tsp paprika (I usually double this)
2 bay leaf
1-2 cans crushed italian seasoned tomatos
1-2 cans tomato soup paste
1 can kidney beans
1 can sliced mushrooms

Brown ground beef with onion flakes; drain; add everything else and simmer. Farts away.

This is simple, quick, cheap and warming.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:10 PM
MC Addict

Great Stir Fry

1 pound flank steak, sliced across the grain into 1/4-inch slices
4 tablespoons oil
2 large garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 pound mixed vegetables, cut into 1/4-inch slices
1/4 cup beef broth
3 green onions, cut into 2-inch pieces
4 tablespoons of your favorite stir-fry sauce

Toss flank steak with 1 tablespoon oil, garlic, cornstarch and baking soda and set aside to marinate while preparing vegetables.

Heat wok or frying pan. When hot, add 3 tablespoons oil. Add steak strips to wok and stir-fry over high heat for a few minutes until rare. Transfer meat to a separate bowl and set aside.

Place vegetables in hot wok with the beef broth and stir-fry over high heat for 2 minutes. Return the steak to the pan along with the green onions and stir-fry for another minute. Stir in the stir-fry sauce and remove from heat. Serve with steamed rice.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:42 PM
MC Addict

Making old school chicken fried steak tonight!

Old 01-17-2008, 09:47 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: mastercraft, X-30, 2004, MCX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
Making old school chicken fried steak tonight!

Please explain for the northern climates, and I can be there in 3 hrs!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Myself I'll live on the edge and surf without a helmet.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:51 PM
MC Platinum

Mashed potatoes, green beans, cream gravy????????

Quote:
Old 01-17-2008, 10:46 PM
MC Addict

Chicken Fried Steak

Ingredients
1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
2 teaspoons pepper, divided
1 to 1 1/2 pounds cubed round steaks
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup water
Vegetable oil
1 (14.5-ounce) can chicken broth

Preparation
Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper evenly over steaks. Set aside.
Stir together remaining 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, and 1 1/2 cups flour in a shallow dish. Stir baking soda into 1 cup water in a bowl.

Dip each steak in water mixture, and dredge in flour mixture.

Pour oil to a depth of 1/2 inch in a large heavy skillet; heat to 360. Fry steaks 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until golden. Drain on a wire rack in a jelly-roll pan. Keep steaks warm in a 225 oven. Drain hot oil, reserving cooked bits and 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet.

Whisk remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper and remaining 1/4 cup flour into drippings in skillet; cook, whisking constantly, over medium-high heat 1 minute. Whisk in broth; cook, whisking constantly, 5 minutes or until thickened. Serve with steaks.

Yield
Makes 4 to 6 servings

I used lemon pepper where it asked for pepper. It came out tasty but was heavy on the salt side. Next time I will eliminate all salt...I love salt and it was too salty for me! I did mashed potatoes and peas!

Old 01-18-2008, 07:48 AM
MC Platinum

Good recipe Tex, water instead of milk and broth instead of milk and or cream for the gravy. I guess the crust is more like a pan fried steak than the thick crusted version.

Quote: