Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 01-09-2017, 12:00 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 SANTE 220
Rats

What's the best way to keep rats away and kill the ones that are around/in the house?

We've caught several rats in our backyard, even in the pool skimmer. I've spent a surprising amount of money on poison blocks. Now I'm ready to go nuclear and am looking for some creative solutions after finding one in our attic (now dead).

Here's what we've tried:
1 - TomCat bait stations - rats are consuming the poison blocks and fast. Trusting the poison's working. May be driving rats to the pool as they go into dehydration mode.

2 - Mechanical traps - only caught three this way. One made a ton of racket around 2am one day as it clambered around the hard-scaping, flopping the trap all over. Seems they've wised up or perhaps smell dead-rat on them. I connected the trap with a few zip ties to a 10" 2x4 (sits 4" from the trap to keep rats from dragging the trap around and haven't caught one since. What else do you use for bait besides peanut butter? The internet says peanut oil is very good.

3 - Sticky traps - only caught two this way. I'd expect more since these are fresh traps with no evidence of dead rat like the mechanical traps.

4 - Electronic sound emitters - not sure these are working

5 - Moth balls - did some experiments putting one at the entrance to a bait station. Stopped poison consumption on one, others have mothballs flung away with steady poison steady.

Tonight I'll be putting steel wool in all of our weep holes to keep them out of the walls. Several neighbors have horror stories caused by rats and that traditional pest control isn't much help:
$8k for wiring damage in attic
$4.5k for a new fuel line on a Mercedes
one lady has killed over 40 rats in her backyard with traps

I'm exploring:
DIY concoctions that include plaster of paris or 5 min drywall mix.
Buying a cross bow, put out some enticing bait and sitting outside for a few hours Fri night just to see what happens.
Buying coyote piss.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:05 PM
MC Maniac

Perception is a funny thing.
Kill one rat in a trap, nasty but still just a 8" body-length field rat.
Get one in the attic and they seem like an ROUS!
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2017, 12:18 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2015 X10 6.0L
Poison is the only thing that has worked for us, and it has to be constant seasonally here as they come back seeking warmth in cold climates. Yes, you gotta be real careful with pets and kids, so that is a heads up that is critical. It's also a bit unnerving not finding all the dead carcasses and wondering if pets will pick those up.

Worse is having them burrow into house or vehicles. It's third only to fire and water damage, if not equal if there is a big infestation.

Going nuclear is unfortunately appropriate.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:21 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2016 Mastercraft X23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
What's the best way to keep rats away and kill the ones that are around/in the house?

We've caught several rats in our backyard, even in the pool skimmer. I've spent a surprising amount of money on poison blocks. Now I'm ready to go nuclear and am looking for some creative solutions after finding one in our attic (now dead).

Here's what we've tried:
1 - TomCat bait stations - rats are consuming the poison blocks and fast. Trusting the poison's working. May be driving rats to the pool as they go into dehydration mode.

2 - Mechanical traps - only caught three this way. One made a ton of racket around 2am one day as it clambered around the hard-scaping, flopping the trap all over. Seems they've wised up or perhaps smell dead-rat on them. I connected the trap with a few zip ties to a 10" 2x4 (sits 4" from the trap to keep rats from dragging the trap around and haven't caught one since. What else do you use for bait besides peanut butter? The internet says peanut oil is very good.

3 - Sticky traps - only caught two this way. I'd expect more since these are fresh traps with no evidence of dead rat like the mechanical traps.

4 - Electronic sound emitters - not sure these are working

5 - Moth balls - did some experiments putting one at the entrance to a bait station. Stopped poison consumption on one, others have mothballs flung away with steady poison steady.

Tonight I'll be putting steel wool in all of our weep holes to keep them out of the walls. Several neighbors have horror stories caused by rats and that traditional pest control isn't much help:
$8k for wiring damage in attic
$4.5k for a new fuel line on a Mercedes
one lady has killed over 40 rats in her backyard with traps

I'm exploring:
DIY concoctions that include plaster of paris or 5 min drywall mix.
Buying a cross bow, put out some enticing bait and sitting outside for a few hours Fri night just to see what happens.
Buying coyote piss.
They're looking for food. Place peanut butter and or a tootsie roll in the center of the sticky trap. They will come and get it.....
Old 01-09-2017, 01:01 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2016 ProStar 6.2L
While we were living in Asia for a year I swear the entire vermin pollution set up shop in my boat house at my lake home. I had a lot of stuff wrecked/ruined. Whatever it was chewed holes in my $500 portable ice fishing house, inflatables, and even chewed holes in my fly high ballast bags. They really made a mess of the place. I assumed it was chipmunks, mice, and squirrels so I got rid of all of them this summer with traps, decon, and guns. The problem was my bait stations in my boathouse were still getting hit. So I decided up the dosage of decon. It didn't matter how much decon I put out, it was gone. Finally I went to the local Coop in a neighboring farm town and they thought i had rat/rats!! I told him I have had it with this and need poison. He was reluctant (I assume because I wasn't a local) but he gave up cocktail mix that will kill anything in it tracks. He stressed it is very dangerous to leave out in the open and can kill dogs/racoons/etc.. I assured him my use was in an enclosed area not accessible by pets. Mix this Golden Malrin with some Coke or anti freeze (the sweetness attracts them) and your problem will be solved.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/go...FZSHaQodNgUJTA
Old 01-09-2017, 02:06 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Was 2007 X1 - now looking
5 gallon bucket trap...if you are worried about poison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OijRH-lduq4
Old 01-09-2017, 02:16 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
Hope this turns into the Kyle bee thread lol

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018

Details released 12/17!!!!

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
1985 S&S
Old 01-09-2017, 02:28 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 X-25
Once you know you've got them, killing them with traps or poison is only the first step. Rats at your place just means proof they are in the area and they will keep coming back if you don't remove or minimize what draws them to your house in the first place. Realistically that means removing easy food sources and access to nesting locations plus permanent placement of bait stations. I don't think you can ever 100% prevent them from coming back, but you can greatly reduce the frequency and numbers.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:32 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrove View Post
Once you know you've got them, killing them with traps or poison is only the first step. Rats at your place just means proof they are in the area and they will keep coming back if you don't remove or minimize what draws them to your house in the first place. Realistically that means removing easy food sources and access to nesting locations plus permanent placement of bait stations. I don't think you can ever 100% prevent them from coming back, but you can greatly reduce the frequency and numbers.
I did pest control (among my other random jobs in my youth) and made sure the house, patio, garage, attic were spotless. The only source of food is poisoned rat blocks and peanut butter in traps.

I'm now on to blocking all access points and experiments. I'll start a spreadsheet and start capturing pix. We need a good winter thread.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:37 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
cats?