Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 10-20-2016, 09:49 PM
TT Enthusiast
Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X15, 1997 Prostar LT1
Texting and driving

We all know it's bad and shouldn't be done, and if I could have caught up with the driver this morning , I'd probably be in jail today. Kids out for fall break and a cool front moved in so lake was not going to happen. Heard about a new motorcross area and decided to take my 8 year old over to check it out. So we jumped on my road bike to check this place out and have a nice ride. Cruising around 70 mph and a car has pulled up my a$$. Of course I'm thinking why is this idiot on me so close, can't he see I have a kid riding with me? Keeping a watchful eye on that idiot and we are fixing to meet what looked like 3 cars lined up. We are on a straight part of the 2 lane highway, and again keeping an eye on the driver behind me, we come up to meet the oncoming line of cars. The second vehicle in this line was a pickup, and as we are about 100 feet from the oncoming cars, I gave a quick check on the car behind me and saw the front of the car make a sudden downward movement, as hitting the brakes, when my eyes came forward the pickup was in my lane! Everything from that point was in slow motion. I made an evasive move to my right, and about 20 feet from me, she saw me and cut her pickup to the right as well. As we met, her eyes were wide open and had a cell phone in her right hand about eye level! Again, everything in slow motion, and I'm thinking my son and I are going to die because she was texting her friend about something insignificant! We avoided a collision,and she didn't have the decency to slow down and see if we were ok, as we had pulled over to get our wits about us, or at least for me to get my wits. My little son only said, "man, that was close huh dad?" The car that was behind the truck is the only one that turned around to come see if we were ok. The idiot riding my a$$ sure didn't stop. Grrrrrr. I'm sure many on here have similar stories but it's too bad that some just can't understand that their actions, no matter how small they think it is, can have such a major impact.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:43 PM
MC Devotee
Boat: MC 2002 X30
That is scary with your son, glad it turned out ok
Old 10-20-2016, 11:12 PM
MC Maniac
Boat: '13 x10 with 6.0 and '93 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
wow ... yes i am trying to be good and just not do it ... we all have to think of the unintended consequences

glad you and your son are OK
Old 10-21-2016, 12:11 AM
MC Master Poster
Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
The number of MVC that we attend due to distracted divers ( texters) is disgusting. None of them admit to it either, all try to BS their way through things with the authorities .
Old 10-21-2016, 12:23 AM
TT Regular
Boat: Scammed! Still looking.
Glad you and your son are OK! This is why I gave up riding the streets when my son came along. Way too dangerous to commute in this city. Only takes one time...
Old 10-21-2016, 08:21 AM
MC Fanatic
Boat: 2004 Mastercraft X-Star
Texting and driving is a huge problem. Its amazing how many people are on their phones in heavy traffic. Ive seen so many close calls and it is hard to keep your cool. There have been a few times that I haven't and actually confronted them. Not sure what it is going to take to get people to stop, but this problem is only going to get worse
2004 X-Star
Old 10-21-2016, 08:34 AM
MC Devotee
Boat: 2016 Mastercraft X23
It is crazy...They need to pass a law that says if you hit a motorcycle its your fault no matter what and you will be charged with manslaughter if they die.

Keep a pistol on you. When someone rides your butt pull it out and **** it and put it back on your side making sure they see it. Or as my buddy does wave them around with his pistol in his hand this usually makes them turn......

I have two motorcycles and honesty don't feel safe riding them anymore because of texting and driving. No one is watching the road anymore. With all the advancements in car technology more people die on roadways now than before. Its not the cars its no one is driving their car anymore.

Really all phones should not operate over 5 mph even if you're in the passenger seat.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:35 AM
MC Fanatic
Boat: 1998 sportstar 19
amazing that you and son did not get hurt. rode a bike in college and got rid of it when I graduated. definitely something to thank God for when saying bedtime prayers with your son.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:37 AM
MC Maniac
Boat: None
Just sit and watch traffic at a stop light.. It's terrible how many people are on their phones..

Heck I saw a cop yesterday texting and driving
Old 10-21-2016, 09:17 AM
TT Regular
Boat: 93 Ski Centurion Falcon
I see this kind of $hit at least once a day. Every town in America has a main drag...usually it's a US HWY. In Birmingham, it's US 280. It's a major artery in and out of town and it's 6 lanes in most places. There's 17 traffic lights between the front my neighborhood and the interstate. It's an accident waiting to happen everyday. What bugs me the most (and I feel comfortable saying it here) is that there's way more women texting and driving than there are men. And women are doing it with small kids in the car. My 16 year old, newly minted driver, has to drive that gauntlet to get to work and I don't worry about her car skills...I worry about texting soccer moms!

Glad you and your son are OK. That's some really scary stuff. Keep it rubber side down out there.