Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 03-28-2016, 09:39 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 20' Vdrive
Negotiations on house inspection

So... lots of things going on in my life right now. Newest is the purchase of a home with my bride to be. I had a couple questions about some things when it comes to negotiations after a home inspection.

First, a little background. We put a strong full price offer on the home, where we pay all closing costs. Houses go fast in this neighborhood, and it's literally across the street from my brides daughters' school. We'd put 3 other offers in on homes that didn't take, some full price, so we didn't want to lose another. They accepted our offer, so on to the next step.

Had an inspection. Did the house inspection, termite inspection, and radon. Do I need a sewer line inspection? The house was built in 1999, any other suggestions before I'm out of the inspection period on the contract?

Home inspection was good. The current owners are the first and only owner of the home, and you can tell they took care of it. The only thing's we really found was a piece of roof flashing with the sewer vent wasn't high enough, and was leaking slightly, so we want to definitely have that fixed. Otherwise, just some fogged up windows from broken window seals, some paint chipping on outside of the house in places, AC lines had deteriorating insulation, and a couple outlets in the basement weren't grounded. Besides that, it was all good.

In lieu of asking them to replace windows/re-ground the outlets/make small repairs that I could do, I'd rather just have them pay some of my closing costs. I'm thinking about half, which would be about $2500 on the high end. We want the roof flashing fixed by them, but otherwise, I don't really care about the windows or outlets, I just to get some money off the cash I'll have to pay out to close.

One other thing that wasn't on the sellers disclosure, was that there's a sprinkler system. I have no idea if it even works, if there's cracked lines, etc. They didn't even say there WAS a system, and it's clear there is based on sprinkler heads and a control unit in the basement. Is this something I should mention as some "potential" expenses I might face down the road and try to negotiate that into them paying some of my costs?

Any suggestions? This is my fiancee and I's first home, and I've had some good advice so far, just making sure I don't miss something that could be big later.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:57 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 205
I'm a HVAC professional. Your mechanical systems (A/C, plumbing, electrical) can be huge unexpected expenses, on used home expenses purchase.)

Absolutely, call a plumber, who has worked in the area. Go to future next door neighbor, ask for a referral. (You also, get to meet the neighbor.)

Pay for the inspection. Be sure to ask, for an experience plumber! (who has been in the area.) In this case, sometimes a privately owned company, would be a good call. (Remember, proper sewer venting and gas appliance venting,is very important.)

The house you're buying could have a problem, or houses surrounding yours, could be having problems. (This is also, a red flag.)

The ac lines, need a line cover. The insulation, needs replacing.

Congrats, on getting married and the new home.

2004 Red/White/Black something or other.

Formally, 1994 RED Mastercraft 205, Chevy 5.7 TBI.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:59 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 X2
Dependson your loan. Some programs require housing issues repaired before closing. FHA is the stinkiest about items. What you're asking for is not unreasonable or unheard of. You come to an agreement, write up an addendum and it goes on the closing statement.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:05 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by etduc View Post
I'm a HVAC professional. Your mechanical systems (A/C, plumbing, electrical) can be huge unexpected expenses, on used home expenses purchase.)

Absolutely, call a plumber, who has worked in the area. Go to future next door neighbor, ask for a referral. (You also, get to meet the neighbor.)

Pay for the inspection. Be sure to ask, for an experience plumber! (who has been in the area.) In this case, sometimes a privately owned company, would be a good call. (Remember, proper sewer venting and gas appliance venting,is very important.)

The house you're buying could have a problem, or houses surrounding yours, could be having problems. (This is also, a red flag.)

The ac lines, need a line cover. The insulation, needs replacing.

Congrats, on getting married and the new home.
Regarding the A/C unit and Furnace, they are in their lifetime of potentially going bad. They are good units (Trane), but they're old... original to the 1999 build date of the house. There is a home warranty included in our contract that the sellers are paying for. After I drop all of our cash on the down payment, I won't have much to do a repair like that, so until we replenish our accounts, we'll probably keep renewing the home warranty for a year or two to cover our butts from a bad A/C unit or furnace.

I may look into a plumber to inspect the lines. Just something that had slipped my mind.

Things like the AC lines, I'm good with going to home depot and fixing that myself. I'd rather get a larger credit based on what it'd cost a contractor to do, then go at it myself and use the extra money elsewhere.

Also, any idea how to check if windows might still be under warranty? I know my parents got all new windows after theirs leaked the argon gas or whatever, and that was after 20 years. Quite the warranty, and would be interested in seeing if we might get lucky like that on the windows. There's only a few that are fogging, so not a huge deal, just would be nice.

Also, thanks for the congrats.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:10 AM
MC Devotee

Get all mechanical items checked, sprinklers included. I would think the instructor inspector would check them as they are part of the property. Make sure you get a home owner warranty before closing. Seller usually pays for these. They are $350-450. Covers mechanical failure of items in your home.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:14 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.anderson63 View Post
Get all mechanical items checked, sprinklers included. I would think the instructor inspector would check them as they are part of the property. Make sure you get a home owner warranty before closing. Seller usually pays for these. They are $350-450. Covers mechanical failure of items in your home.
Yep, home warranty is covered.

I'm trying to figure out why they listed the sprinkler system as N/A.

There's not really an inspection from the sellers that I'm aware of.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:16 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
My mechanicals are 20 years old.. luckily one window - side lite a little foggy. 1999 a pretty new house - make sure inspection covered mold -- welcome to home ownership.. get the roof flashing taken care - could cause the most damage..

offer already in - earnest money given?
Old 03-28-2016, 10:19 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimme View Post
Yep, home warranty is covered.

I'm trying to figure out why they listed the sprinkler system as N/A.

There's not really an inspection from the sellers that I'm aware of.
They might have it as N/A because it's broken. Sellers disclosure might have some info on it about the sprinkler system.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:19 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
My mechanicals are 20 years old.. luckily one window - side lite a little foggy. 1999 a pretty new house - make sure inspection covered mold -- welcome to home ownership.. get the roof flashing taken care - could cause the most damage..

offer already in - earnest money given?
Yep, we close April 28th. One month from today.

Downside... garage isn't big enough to fit my boat

BUT, this is a 5-7 year house that we've planned. We want to have a new build down the line. We didn't over extend ourselves on this one so we can save a good chunk every month to put towards the next one.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:21 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.anderson63 View Post
They might have it as N/A because it's broken. Sellers disclosure might have some info on it about the sprinkler system.
I double checked the sellers disclosure. Listed as "N/A". No other info past that about it.

edit- just looked again, it specifically asks "Is there a sprinkler system" and they checked "No". There's clearly a sprinkler system, I saw it. Sprinkler heads, and control box in the basement (that wasn't plugged in).