Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 11-17-2014, 01:00 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '94 PS205 LT1
Kids tablets

Debating pulling the trigger and curious for opinions.

We are late to bring tech to kids intentionally. 7 & 9 y/o. They have the leap pads that look like mini iPads with camera and stuff. They don't use them a whole lot, which I like. I have an iPad from work that sits unused as well. But, times change. Don't want them to be outcast freaks....

Not sure I want to drop mega bucks on two iPads (not sure I can get by with 1 for two kids). Looking at kindle fire kids or HDX.

Goals would be easy to set up and have controls on. Also have ability to find and steer toward educational stuff (books, math apps, safe internet searching) more than just a game toy.

Also would like ability to use in the car to watch movies vs the portable DVD players we have now. But that would need to be easy too, don't want to spend hours downloading or converting movies, or dropping $5 x many movies to have available.

Thoughts / opinions?
Old 11-17-2014, 02:17 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 ProStar 197 ProTournament Team
Send a message via AIM to TayMC197
Get on regular ipad for a cheap price, no need to have latest and greatest. By having 1 you teach them how to share and if they are responsible, add a second for a bday...

plus with iTunes you can share movies, music, etc...
Old 11-17-2014, 02:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, MariStar 200 VRS, 1998, LT1
Thanks for asking the question Ben. I too will be watching this thread as we are thinking the same for our 7 year old.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 ProStar 209
DO NOT BUY - the Samsung Galaxy 3 tablet. We bought 2 of these for our kids last year and neither of them lasted past 5 months. Both of them quit charging and working and the warranty was expired as we bought them on Black Friday. So now we wasted money and the kids are without tablets for school. I should have bought an iPad or Kindle as those last forever without any problems. I'll never buy a Samsung phone or tablet EVER again.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X2
I don't recall if it was 2 years ago or 3 years ago, but I bought both of mine iPad 2's thru the Apple refurb store. Also, bought them heavy duty cases for them. Both are still kicking along perfectly and get used a ton by the kids (now 15 and 12).
Old 11-17-2014, 04:39 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190, Indmar 351
Send a message via Yahoo to JMann
Both my kids 3 and 5 have i-pads. The 5 year olds he will have had for 3 years in July was a top of the line max storage for it's time and it works with no problems and he uses it the max we allow 1 - 1 1/2 hours a day depending on what's going on. He can also earn more time by being good or loose time by not being good which is a total motivator for him. My daughters (3 yo) is only a year old iPad air but we bought the lowest end model with the least storage so it's filled up and needed to be clean up. She couldn't care less about it and only picks it up when he's on his and won't play with her.

I recommend a good case and pay for the insurance. Both of my kids have dropped and cracked their screens and the insurance paid for replacement. We made sure our kids new after braking them we wouldn't get them another one if it happened again and they never dropped them again.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:39 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theomedic View Post
DO NOT BUY - the Samsung Galaxy 3 tablet. We bought 2 of these for our kids last year and neither of them lasted past 5 months. Both of them quit charging and working and the warranty was expired as we bought them on Black Friday. So now we wasted money and the kids are without tablets for school. I should have bought an iPad or Kindle as those last forever without any problems. I'll never buy a Samsung phone or tablet EVER again.
Funny. I was just about to recommend a Galaxy 3. Our 9 year old has had a refurb for some time now and it works like a top. Our experience with the Kindle Fire before that was exactly the opposite of "last forever." Had the charging issues you experienced with the Samsung and is now a paperweight.

Kind of a toss up. I recommend a refurb in any event so if it does go belly up, you aren't out a ton. Get a good case, too. Kids are tough on tablets.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:58 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 85' S&S
The Galaxy tabs will be a little to confusing to for the kids to use, I'd probably stick with Apple. Get em an older one and get an otter box! I like Tays idea of making them learn to share. Saves you cash and tests to see how they handle it.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:38 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric'sX15 View Post
The Galaxy tabs will be a little to confusing to for the kids to use, I'd probably stick with Apple. Get em an older one and get an otter box! I like Tays idea of making them learn to share. Saves you cash and tests to see how they handle it.
Frankly, they are much more intuitive than the Kindles we had. Apple is nice (and we have an original Ipad that still gets used), but they are expensive by comparison. The 9 year old had no problem figuring out the G3. You can get a Refurbed G3 for $120 and a good 64 gig high speed micro sd card for $35. You can't get a comparable ipad speed, memory and that much storage (key for a variety of movies on the road).

Forcing them to share a tablet is great in theory and ours share plenty in other areas. But often times, I don't want the five year old watching what the 9 year old is watching. On long trips, "I Spy" gets old after a while. I have no regrets with a tablet for each if each kid has shown he is deserving (they get taken away when the kids don't meet expectations). Keeping them is good motivation, especially when the other kid still has his tablet.

YMMV

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:19 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 ProStar 209
Good to know someone didn't have any issues with the G3 tablet. My wife and I ordered iPad2 tablets the day they were available and haven't had a single issue with them and we use them daily. I like the idea of trying refurb for kids tablets, I may go that route. I'm not an Apple fannatic but ours have been reliable.