Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 02-10-2006, 02:11 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Platform Bracket is stuck

Well, I've had this problem for about a year and haven't worried about it much. My swim platform bracket on the port side is stuck in the receiver and nothing seems to make it budge. Believe me, I've talked to it nicely, tapped it gently with a hammer, and squirted it with PB Blaster. It must have warped somehow. Anyone have this happen to them and get it unstuck by doing something I haven't mentioned?

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:12 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 Maristar 200VRS X2
Try a bigger hammer!!!

I got nuttin.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:14 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
man that sucks
let it eat until late season and you make a deal on an 06TT boat!!
Old 02-10-2006, 02:21 PM
MC Hero

Well, the only reason I take it off is to oil it at the beginning of the season. I can do it while it's on the boat, but I pretty much ignore the bottom if I do it this way.

I think I'll try really whacking it with a rubber mallet. Maybe with this little cool snap, the metal has contracted a bit.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:23 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Former Prostar 205 owner upgraded to an 05 Malibu vRide
Unbolt the bracket from under the swimstep. Then remove the swimstep at that point, which will take the other bracket with it. Then negotiate with the stuck bracket without the swimstep on there. My guess is it's bound up due to the wood shrinking.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:35 PM
MC Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirJunky
Unbolt the bracket from under the swimstep. Then remove the swimstep at that point, which will take the other bracket with it. Then negotiate with the stuck bracket without the swimstep on there. My guess is it's bound up due to the wood shrinking.
Good idea. We'll see how much time I have on my hands this weekend.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 02-10-2006, 02:38 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, X-Star, 05, MCX/// 93 S&S 190 285 HP HO
You beat me to it Air Junky. Wood shrunk and its holding tight. Dont hammer as you are asking for it-mis-hit and you got yourself a gelcoat repair. I imagine you have corrosion of alloy metals against each other. Maybe liquid wrench or wd-40 would help.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:39 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft Prostar 205V "wakeboard edition", 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirJunky
I agree. I have (had) a stuck bracket on our new boat. After lifting so hard that I pulled the screw out of the platform, I determine the setup was binding. So, I too would suggest unbolting the platform. I did so and also determined that the slotted channel had burrs that would grab the platform bracket. I filed the burrs down, drilled out my stripped screw holes, and filled back in with teak plugs. Then I put the bracket in place and put the swim platform back on (with the other bracket still mounted to it). I kind of let the bracket find its own new "home" and completed the reassembly by putting the screws back in.
Doing all this helped, but I still noticed that my bracket "scewed" when I put the screws back in. I'm wondering whether the mounting plate was attached to the boat at the proper angle, or the top surface of that platform bracket is angled improperly.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:43 PM
MC Hero

Thanks all. I'll look into it this weekend. Removing the platform used to be a regular thing for me, so I don't think corrosion is the culprit. Plus, if PB can't get it out from som rust, I don't know what can.

I'll keep you posted on what I find. Thanks again everyone!

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 02-10-2006, 03:07 PM
MC Hero

Okay, one other question. When you used teak plugs, did you just pound them (gently) into the drilled out holes or did you use some sort of glue? Are the plugs the best option. Would epoxy work better or does it expand like gorilla glue does?

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club