Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-29-2004, 11:01 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: '96 Sammy Duval
Rough engine start

First, Congratulations on the new site - very well done!

I have a '96 Sammy Duval EFI and I have always been able to start it on the first crank. Recently, cold or warm start it's taken me a few cranks to get it going; sometimes several cranks. Now this seems to be the case all the time. Is there something I can do, e.g., fuel additives or injection cleaner? Any suggestions?

Also, I did notice the other day I have the oil level too high - I changed the oil and it seems this problem began around the same time. Related?

Thanks.
Old 07-31-2004, 12:59 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I don't think that a fuel additive is necessarily the answer to your problem. With that being said, I, and others, have had good experiences with Sea Foam, available at NAPA auto parts for about $6.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:38 PM
MC Master Poster

High level isn't a good thing- get it back down to where it should be.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:50 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: '96 Sammy Duval
Thanks for the advice
Old 08-11-2004, 03:18 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MC Prostar 190, '93, Stars N Stripes
Send a message via Yahoo to betsy&david Harrison
Ok boys. see if you can figure this one out. We replaced the carb on our boat last year because it wouldn't fire after we'd been skiing. When we first launch it, it fires up. Ski a few rides just fine. Dock it...try to start it...crank...crank...crank and then starts. Putt out to take off area and going around the island it sputters like it's gonna die and then kicks in. After that it is a-o-k. Go figure??? Betsy
Old 08-12-2004, 06:51 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 95 PS 190 EFI
Send a message via AIM to jimmer2880
That sounds electical to me... as in - something is getting hot then not working. Have you replaced your coil lately? When was the last time you replace plugs, wire, cap & rotor? I'd start there - but then again... I'm no mechanic.

jimmer
"I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
It's time to SKI.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:33 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: MC Prostar 190, '93, Stars N Stripes
Send a message via Yahoo to betsy&david Harrison
jimmer..we replace that stuff every year. My hub. is great on maintenence issues. It really just acts up from hot to cold. Didn't do it right after we had the carb replaced. We are thinking of going to EFI next to be rid of the problem. B
Old 08-12-2004, 11:51 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Betsy, are there two fuel lines going to your carb? If so, it's a Holley 4010. They are terrible carbs, and were, unfortunately, OEM on your 93 Prostar. PCM recalled them on the Nautiques of the era and put the older style 4160 back on; Indmar said it wasn't a problem.

After battling problems like you described (almost exactly) with my Carb for a year, and having no luck with a rebuild, I bought a 4160 from skidim and had it installed. Zero hot stall problems. Zero idle problems. Zero problems. No loss of horsepower (actually getting more speed with lower revs now). Hole shot is a little less instantaneous, but irrelevant from the skier's point of view. Not worse, just different. I highly recommend the 4160 as a much less expensive alternative to fuel injecting a carbed engine.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.