Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 09-14-2004, 09:39 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190 - 351 Indmar (1:1) / 365 Hours
Barefooting - Getting Up?

We've never footed before, but would love to try! We are all experienced slalom skiers, don't own a boom, and are wondering what's the best way to learn? Step off a ski? Kneeboard? Deep water start, and if so, front or back? We're prepared to get beat up trying also, because there will be no barefoot suits involved. What do you all think! Thanks a million in advance for your help!
Old 09-14-2004, 09:42 AM
MC Addict

Boat: Tubtime Tugboat
Send a message via MSN to bcampbe7
In the few times I have tried barefooting I would say DO NOT try it without a suit. At the very least a wetsuit.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:58 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 barefoot200;;;2004 X9 MCX
i first learnt many moons ago by sitting on a kneeboard.....hook the handle over the top of the kneeboard and balance you butt on the board put the boat in gear and balance yourself with the other hand..(easier with the aquatic hook found on new boards)..get up to planing speed and get yourself comfortable...all this can be removed if you can swivel your legs round from the normal kneeboard pos.....move to one side of the wake and sit in the curl....at this stage you should be doing 15-20mph....accelerate gradually and place your heels onto the water slowly..i edged slightly forward and put more weight onto the water as the boat was accelerating...as you gradually stand up the board will drop away from you....depending on weight you will be doing abt 36-42 mph (weight in lbs/10 plus 20) so 180lbs is 38mph....you are now barefootin my friend and will never look back....foot in the pos.as if you were on the crapper.....you can sub the kneeboard for a wakeskate if you like...i have tried both..

2004 X9 MCX ALL BLACK

http://www.prwb.net/tallington/index.php?id=12

nice older x-boat at berth in the advertisment above
Old 09-14-2004, 10:08 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 Prostar 190 PowerSlot, 2004 22' Bennington Pontoon 90 HP Mercury 4-stroke
Without a boom I think the best bet is by sitting on a kneeboard. The general process that I use when getting up by kneeboard is:

1) Sit upright in the water with the kneeboard between your legs and the tip just showing out of the water (this is actually a little bit of a balancing act but helps once the rope gets tight).
2) Have the driver accelerate to about 18 mph with a nice gentle pull.
3) Get outside the wake on either the left or right side (left is probably a little easier for the driver). The easiest way is to cut left as soon as the driver starts the pull so you can get outside the wake before it even forms. Otherwise it is a little work to get over the big wake at 18.
4). Once you are up at 18 scoot as far forward on the board as possible. This prevents the board from bouncing (porposing) as you increase speed. I found the best way to scoot forward is hold handle with one hand, put other hand behind your but, put feet on tip, and lift your bottom and move forward. I usually get my but on the very front of the pad.
5).Give the driver a nod to indicate to speed up. I like to go about 33-35 but others will probably say faster.
6). Once up to speed I lay my body back (not all the way to the board but pretty close.
7) Take your feet off the kneeboard and place them on the water nearly flat with your toes curled up. Knees should be bent and feet on either side of the board.
8) Start putting downward pressure on your heels until you are up.
9) Breathe naturally and smile! you're up.

I learned this way but was never ever able to teach anyone else using this approach. Once I got the boom almost everyone could get up holding onto the boom (not as many using a 5' handle but some).

I echo the recommendation to wear a suit. Padded barefoot suit without sleeves is my preffered approach.

Lance

Last edited by Lance; 09-14-2004 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:09 AM
MC Maniac

if you like it ..invest in a barefoot suit..a must in order to learn deepwater starts,,,a boom is also a godsend..the quickest way to learn

2004 X9 MCX ALL BLACK

Old 09-14-2004, 10:24 AM
MC Maniac

i think we echo each other ..eh lance

2004 X9 MCX ALL BLACK

Old 09-14-2004, 10:36 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
I agree with Sizzler and Lance, the kneeboard is the best method next to a boom. It can ba a little tricky getting into the sitting position with your feet out the front. May require tring a few different ways to see which works best for you. I got up in normal kneeboard fashion then moved around to get my feet out the front.
If you dont have a wet suit, I would recommend at least neoprene shorts and a neoprene vest.

I learned before kneeboards and booms were around, using the ski step off method. I still have the scars......

Oh yea, if you happen to face plant when you first get up off the knee board, remember, that board is right behind you, coming at you!
Old 09-14-2004, 11:10 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1992 Prostar 190-Its red
The boom is for pussies get out there on the long line and learn the hard way like those before us! Plant that foot in the water then take the other one and put it in...and o man your doing it! lean back and dont get a boom because once you can do it on the long line its useless! Suits are not needed i just use my regular wetsuit an have walked away from every run or fall.

92 PS190 - Its red.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:18 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 Maristar 200VRS X2
I learned 15 years ago behind a 130HP I/O with a slalmon rope and a regular wetsuit, I do not recomend this to any beginner. (still have scars)

The boom is a great way to learn; however once you are comfortable on the 5 foot line go to the long line and don't look back. Some of my friends have learned to depend on the boom (boom babies) and are chicken to foot with the big boys behind the boat.

As far as backwards, learn fronts first. Anyone who does back deeps or backwards on the boom has paid there dues. It took me twice as long to learn back deeps as front long lines.

"The meek may inharit the earth, but I can walk on water"
Old 09-14-2004, 11:24 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterCrafting
The boom is for pussies get out there on the long line and learn the hard way like those before us! Plant that foot in the water then take the other one and put it in...and o man your doing it! lean back and dont get a boom because once you can do it on the long line its useless! Suits are not needed i just use my regular wetsuit an have walked away from every run or fall.
booms may be for pussies,,but try getting your 9 year old daughter to long line deep without ever being on her feet.........booms are best to learn on........

2004 X9 MCX ALL BLACK