Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 01-16-2006, 10:56 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1979 Stars & Stripes Skier
Fiberglass/Paint References

Does anyone know of any good books or references for instruction on painting, and fiberglass work for boats? I want to eventually sand off my existing S&S glitterstripe and reapply it but have no idea what I am doing. My local shop wanted $5000 for just the stripe, no decals and not the rest of the boat. I have a good garage/shop to do it in, but don't know where to begin or end for that matter. Thanks.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:59 AM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
fiberglass/paint references

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsoncd
Does anyone know of any good books or references for instruction on painting, and fiberglass work for boats? I want to eventually sand off my existing S&S glitterstripe and reapply it but have no idea what I am doing. My local shop wanted $5000 for just the stripe, no decals and not the rest of the boat. I have a good garage/shop to do it in, but don't know where to begin or end for that matter. Thanks.
check your pm, i sent you one.....hope it helps......later

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 01-16-2006, 12:09 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: What ever floats your.....
Is it a secret???
Old 01-16-2006, 12:28 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Sorry everyone, but i don't feel comfortable giving out e-mail addresses, phone nos, and names on threads and replys. if richardsoncd researches the info i gave him and he finds it to be factual, the he can reply and disclose what he found out concerning his own thread and share it accordingly.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 01-17-2006, 08:29 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1979 stars and stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsoncd
I want to eventually sand off my existing S&S glitterstripe and reapply it but have no idea what I am doing. Thanks.
I sure hope you know what you are getting into. It aint no Sunday stroll in the park
#1 supporter of wadka
Old 01-18-2006, 12:12 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, 240SC, 1990, HO454 (425hp, 375???)
http://fiberglass-repair.com/

Lots of good info. I haven't bought his DVDs yet, but I will if I get in any deeper. I had a guy show me basic gel coat repair/refurbishing. It is alot easier than you think. It is mostly elbow grease stuff. I'm not familiar with the glitter stripe situation, but make sure you don't just need to wet sand and rub it out. Do a test patch. 1000 grit wet sand, 3M Perfect it III rubbing compound and then swirl mark remover, then wax, Wash between steps. If all you have is external surface fading / oxidation, the wet sanding might do it.

Good luck!

Matt

PS Wish I had a shop to do it in, I'd do much more to my boat!
Old 01-18-2006, 08:34 AM
MC Fanatic

Thanks Matt,

I'll check it out, can't wet sand though....there is no gelcoat left on the glitter stripe, I would just be sanding the metaflake off.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:42 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: What ever floats your.....
How about a clear coat over what is there?
Old 01-18-2006, 12:50 PM
MC Fanatic

If I am going to do any clear/gel coating, I really want to go all out and make it awesome....probably a product of looking at Jeremy's 79 and drooling throughout the day.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, 240SC, 1990, HO454 (425hp, 375???)
My buddy that used to do it for a living has shot a lot of metal flake. He said they shot the base color then blew the dry flake on the still wet stripe. He said it always looked like s.. errr terrible until they hit it with the clear gel and wet sanded it out. Only then did it look good. Sounds like the entire stripe has to be shot at once, so you've got to have everything totally ready to go. Because gel is catalyzed once you start the clock is ticking. If the DVD's don't cover metal flake restoration, call and/or email the guy a fiberglass-repair.com. I spoke to him a couple of times. He was real helpful.

I like the idea of roughing the stripe up and just shooting it with clear.

Do all of the other gel repairs prior to trying to shoot the stripe. I completely re-gelled the nose on mine. It was chipped completely through in 10 places due to the prior owner not knowing how to trailer it properly. I filled and fared the area to the right profile and shot it with gel, feathering it back on the stripe. After wet sanding it and buffing it out, the feathed area sanded and buffed so thin that it blended the old gel and new to virtually no breakmark.

If I were shooting metal flake, I'd get a fiberglass scrap and pratice on it until I got it perfect before trying it on my boat. Of course if you mess up with gel all you have to do is sand it down and try again. It's all about elbow grease not much on talent like shooting paint.

Matt