Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 01-14-2006, 12:37 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1993 MasterCraft ProStar 205
Best wax??

Hey guys,
I am getting ready for the summer skiing season down here. I really need to wax my boat this year. What is the best wax to use? Any sugestions would help.
Thanks.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:49 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsrus
Hey guys,
I am getting ready for the summer skiing season down here. I really need to wax my boat this year. What is the best wax to use? Any sugestions would help.
Thanks.
Try Meguiers #16 paste wax, it lays on the surface. water spots just wipe off when you wipe off the boat. GOOD TEST, next spring apply any wax u wish to the hull, under the chine about 4' back from the boweye on 1 side only, apply #16 to the other side and after 3/4 weeks of in water use, ask yourself which held up the best, if it works there it"ll work above water too. I use it and it takes about 1 1/2 years to use up a can @ $10.95 a can and I wax 3 cars every 4 mos.+ boat once a year.............good luck.....later!

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 01-14-2006, 02:18 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 X30 LTR
This is the best wax I've used. Use the paste form, not liquid. You only do small sections at a time, but it will last a long time.

http://www.collinite.com/
Old 01-14-2006, 03:30 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom023
This is the best wax I've used. Use the paste form, not liquid. You only do small sections at a time, but it will last a long time.

Another tip, remove it when it's about 1/2 dry, do not allow it to totally haze, it comes off easier and will not build up against decals, trim pcs. etc. when applying be sure the applicator rag, sponge, etc. is damp, do not apply all the way up against rub rail, w/s frame, vents, etc. then by removing semi dry and buffing you move some of the wax around and it won't build up in and on unwanted places.................. Another tip, lacquer thinner will remove most all marks from rub rails and will not hurt them, caused by guide bars, other boat rub rails, fenders, etc. Put armor-all on your rub rail after your trip to the lake, and on guide bars, think about it, it protects them and lubes them...........Want to stop your rub getting marked by your guide bars and getting burns in your guide bar tubes?..........Research getting a set of pickup truck bed rails [chrome or s/s] for a long bed, or go to local restaurant supply store and they can order chrome or brass bar rail tube[min order 12']cut to your specs at factory. Either way you will have 2 complete sets for around $100. Apply elect. tape to trailer tubes b4 new tubes go on and reinstall cap at top. They will not float off, they are too heavy. Rub rail won't burn them and they wont mark rub rail if it's armor-alled. You can find with some research colored hitch ball covers that will work as replacement guide bar tube caps, red, black, silver, put them in real hot water the soften up and they go right on............later

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 01-14-2006, 06:10 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: What ever floats your.....
Mequire's Premium.

The one with BLACK BOAT on the front in a beige bottle.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:26 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
I argue that Megiuar's is horrible... if you really wanna get something that lasts and is worth it, use what all the big boys with yachts use... it is called Tre-Wax, it comes in a green and orange paste wax tin. It has a bit of teflon in it with a carnuba base, you will not be disappointed. My family uses it on our big boat boat that stays in the ocean, we wax it twice a year and it holds up VERY well.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:13 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
I heard a rumor that teflon wax will yellow....anybody find any truth to that.

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 01-15-2006, 12:34 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
I have heard nothing about teflon yellowing. We have used teflon products exclusively on our ocean boat since new and have not noticed a single sign of yellowing, she is still as white as the day we brought her home! I can send picks for you tp witness if you would like.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:19 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: What ever floats your.....
I've heard if you use any teflon enhanced wax, you are not suppose to use a polymer or silicone enhanced wax or it will haze/yellow.
Once you use one or the other, don't switch.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:25 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom023

I use Collinite also. No cheap or easy to put on, but it does last.