Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 01-09-2006, 02:48 PM
TT Regular

Boat: '04 197 TT
Sling Positions for '04 197

Does anyone have the sling positions for the 197, as measured from the transom? Shallow water in my slip dictates that I lift the boat by slings rather than on bunks. I'd like to confirm sling positions before I have the new lift built.

I believe the measurements from the transom to the centre of the sling marks to be 54" (rear) and 143" (Front). Would love some feed back on this .

Last edited by Big Spray; 01-09-2006 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:43 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: SN 196 previous 93 stars&stripes 190 red
Don't use slings on inboard ski boats for storage. They can change the shape of your hull. I beleive somewhere in the owners manual they refer to this.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:00 PM
TT Regular

George: Thanks. Manual says as long as 8 foot spreader bars are installed it won't squeeze the boat. Checked with dealer on this as well, they didn't seem to see a problem. Boat will sit for 5 months over off season on proper bunks.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:05 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
The only thing my manual says about slings is that if you do use them, they must be a certainly length/width. They are not the preferred method for lifting to be sure. I don't recall reading that they could change hull shape (at least not in the manual). It just sounds like a pain negotiating around the running gear with the slings.

This is all my manual says about them (04 Manual may differ a bit, but if I recall, the general message is the same).
Attached Images

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:12 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205 Sammy Edition
We have found that the cradle works better in shallow water, when the river is low you can slide on and off the cradle easer than trying to keep the straps from hanging up on the skegs. We put Teflon strips on top of the runners and it lets the boat slide on and off very easy!

Jeff
Blue Skies and Soft Landings
2005 X-Star LQ9 with closed cooling
1998 PS205 Sammy W/Monster Tower SOLD
Old 01-09-2006, 04:36 PM
TT Regular

River Rat: How high is the profile of your cradle? At low water my slip has 25" of water. That's only 3" to spare. My lift builder suggested a cradle with a 4 inch profile, but I would have to dig down into the rock a few inches to make it work. This seems crazy.

Not big on the slings but would like the boat in the boat house.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:01 PM
MC Hero

I spent a good couple of hours last summer digging out the slip so that we could get the boat on and off the cradle bunks a few more times. It's far from fun, but it's not the hardest thing to do. Of course, there was no rock involved.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:13 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205 Sammy Edition
Rock we have a soft river bottom so we have that as a cushion. but we have in the past driven the boat up on it when the entire top of the bunks were out of the water. "possible but not recomended"
the boat sits on 2 2x8 clamped to a 4" channel beam I think.

Jeff
Blue Skies and Soft Landings
2005 X-Star LQ9 with closed cooling
1998 PS205 Sammy W/Monster Tower SOLD
Old 01-09-2006, 05:28 PM
TT Regular

East Texas: Thanks for the manual info. Trying to download the 04 manual from the site but it doesn't seem to want to do this.

I could probably get an inch of silt and debris out by shovel, but to get more means going in with a pneumatic hammer during winter freeze up, chunking out the ice and keep on going into the rock. No fun and the boat house sits on the same rock. So I might not have any way around the slings.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:37 PM
MC Hero

Just a shot in the dark, but you could give MC a call and ask them what it would take to beef up your lifting rings so you could use them for long-term storage. They're only designed for short-term lifting, but perhaps there's a way to make them stronger. Maybe not.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club