Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 09-12-2004, 11:28 AM
Fan

Impeller repair costs

I am happy to have found this site. Thanks to all of you for the information provided. I have found little regarding the impeller. I have a 1984 Stars N Stripes that I am bringing back to usable. I wanted to begin the process of running the engine and thought it a good idea to remove and check the impeller before doing so. Removal was easy enough and in taking it apart, I found the impeller itself to be in pretty good shape. It is soft and does turn in the housing. However, the housing is very rusty and corroded. I assume that this should be cleaned, the small "O" ring replaced and the gasket replaced. My question is should the impeller be replaced and are they expensive? Also, do most of you carry a spare with you? Thanks for your information, and I am sure I will have many more questions. I am reading the forums first for answers, but didn't find much on this subject.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:37 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: ProStar 190 1996 LT1
Fan,
I change my impeller each year. That is more often then you real need to but a new impeller with gasket is only about $35.Overheating your motor can be big $$$$ and it can wreck a good ski day.I don't have a spare one but I should.

I all most forgot WELCOME ABOARD and I glad you found us.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:41 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
welcome to the site. It would be cool to see some photos of the boat!!
Old 09-12-2004, 01:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 MariStar 210VRS 330hp Tower, Ballast, Bimini, 400w Clarion
Fan, welcome to the forum!

If the entire impeller casing is in rough shape (corroded) I would think you should replace it.

Have a look at skidim.com They list complete raw water pumps as well as parts.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pristine, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "-- WOW--What a Ride!"
Old 09-12-2004, 01:13 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: ProStar 190 1996 LT1
There is one on eBay too.Not sure it the right one,but here it is:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...489169189&rd=1
Old 09-12-2004, 03:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1992 Prostar 190-Its red
We carry a spare because the impeller on our friends chris craft fell apart and almost super overheated.

92 PS190 - Its red.
Old 09-12-2004, 06:37 PM
Fan

Wow! Thanks for the responses. I believe the housing can be cleaned and reused. The only part that is rusted/corroded can be cleaned. The area where the impeller spins is not corroded only where the gasket attaches. If this is cleaned can it still be used? Also, I went to skidim.com and was unable to determine which part is would be for the '84 Stars N Stripes. It appears to have a 351 Windsor, would that be correct? Someone has fitted ( and badly I might add) a Holley double pumper carb. They used rubber hose over the existing fuel line to connect to the manifold for the double pumper. I believe that the original Holley is still available from the original owner. Would I be better off rebuilding it and putting it back on? The double pumper does not appear to be a marine carburetor. Thanks again for information and your prompt responses. I will be picking up an additional impeller once I determine which one is the corrrect one to get. I am in Phoenix so I have Arizona Mastercraft Boats here. I have heard they are a good source for parts. I am just trying to save some on the labor. I would like to get this running and be sure I like it before I decide to rebuild it.
Old 09-12-2004, 07:31 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
Just give Discount Inboard Marine a call and they will tell you exactly what parts you need. I have a 82 Stars and Stripes and they have been a big help to me.

The water pump on ebay right now is for a Indmar conversion, your boat has a PCM.

It is hard to say about which carb to use. I would lean towards getting the orginal rebuilt.

Last edited by ski_king; 09-12-2004 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:54 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 95 PS 190 EFI
Send a message via AIM to jimmer2880
Get a MARINE 4160 asap! There is a reason why Marine carb's are manufactured. Personally - I don't want my boat to ever explode - or catch fire. That's why if it was originally marine - it stays marine (not just carbs).

Your original may have been a 4010. If that's the case, then I wouldn't bother re-building it & switch to a 4160. There are many others on this board who have had their problems with the 4010's....

Welcome to the board!
"I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
It's time to SKI.
Old 09-13-2004, 09:01 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '85 Stars and Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmer2880
Get a MARINE 4160 asap! There is a reason why Marine carb's are manufactured. Personally - I don't want my boat to ever explode - or catch fire. That's why if it was originally marine - it stays marine (not just carbs).

Your original may have been a 4010. If that's the case, then I wouldn't bother re-building it & switch to a 4160. There are many others on this board who have had their problems with the 4010's....

Welcome to the board!

an '82 S&S should have a 4160 if it's a small block. I believe the 4110 was a later model. you could go with a 4150 as well, I believe the difference is that the air/fuel ratio can be changed on the secondaries, whereas on the 4160, they cannot.

if it's not a marine carb, get that off of there PRONTO. don't want to burn that S&S down to the waterline. Now if it was a '85 correct craft that'd be a different story.
Click here if you need prayer, or wish to pray for those who do.