Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-11-2008, 11:43 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-Star TBI 310HP Predator
Installing float switch

I was having problems with my auto bilge and traced it to the float switch. I ordered a replacement of exactly what I had in the boat: http://www.marinersdirect.com/shorts...p?ITEM=0236152
The problem is, the existing float switch only has two wires coming out of it (red and black) and the one I ordered has 3 wires (2 brown and black)? I have a three way switch at the dash, off-manual-auto. The wiring instructions that came with it weren't really clear. Any ideas on how to wire this up to work? black to black obviously, but not sure after that? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:09 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190, fuel injected 302
I'm pretty sure the two browns go between the pump and the dash (+), and the black to ground(-).

'91 prostar 190
Old 06-11-2008, 01:56 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 98 Prostar 190 Stars & Stripes, LT1
I have been looking for this replacement switch myself and had given up because I couldn't find one by itself. Didn't see the point in spending the dough to purchase a whole new pump just to get a float switch. But, you found one for me! Thank you! They are termporarily out of stock so I'll have to wait a bit to get one. In the mean time if you could scan the wiring diagram (instructions) and PM a copy to me or post it up I will try my best to figure it out for ya!
Regards,
SPARK PLUGS: AC Delco MR43LTS (gapped to .040")
FUEL FILTERS: AC Delco 25171391 (pump inlet side)
89058397 (pump outlet side)
IGNITION WIRES: Call Inboard Online @ (877) 327-7175 and order part numbers 556010A (odd bank) and 556010B (even bank)
Old 06-11-2008, 08:07 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2004 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper View Post
I'm pretty sure the two browns go between the pump and the dash (+), and the black to ground(-).
I would agree with flipper. An easy way to check would be use a Digital Multimeter in the Ohm mode and just measure the switch, but if you do not have one a battery and a light bulb will work just as well. If flipper is right, put one brown wire on one side of the battery, the other brown wire on the side of the light bulb and then hold the light bulb center contact to the other end of the battery. The light should come on when you lift up the float. (or have someone else lift it since you are probably out of hands at this point)

2004 Prostar 197 - Red on White

350 TBI, Perfect Pass, Heater, Shower and a whole lot of fun!
Old 06-12-2008, 12:54 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft,ps190,1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTRSK1R View Post
I would agree with flipper. An easy way to check would be use a Digital Multimeter in the Ohm mode and just measure the switch, but if you do not have one a battery and a light bulb will work just as well. If flipper is right, put one brown wire on one side of the battery, the other brown wire on the side of the light bulb and then hold the light bulb center contact to the other end of the battery. The light should come on when you lift up the float. (or have someone else lift it since you are probably out of hands at this point)

I wonder if one of the brown wires is level switched and the other brown wire is straight thru for manual override of the level switch? The multi meter will tell you.

Team Canada!!!!

Previously;
1991 Prostar 190 w/New Dimension tower
Old 06-23-2008, 05:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X7, LTR
Here us a wiring diagram that may help you.
Let me know if you figure this out. I also have to replace my float switch.
http://www.dc-pump.cz/pdf/Electronic_float_switch.pdf
Old 02-09-2014, 05:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Prostar 205
I know this is an old thread but I replaced my old switch with the one linked above (2 wires in old, 3 in new switch) and need help.

I combined the wires as described in the manual, 2 old wires matched to new labeled power and ground and spliced in the lead to pump into the pump wire, but I get a whine from the switch and pump turns on but slower than normal. The pump still works normally in manual but it seems like it is not getting enough voltage in automatic for the pump to work appropriate.

Anyone have thoughts?
Old 02-09-2014, 06:05 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsoby View Post
Here us a wiring diagram that may help you.
Let me know if you figure this out. I also have to replace my float switch.
http://www.dc-pump.cz/pdf/Electronic_float_switch.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by _fng_ View Post
I know this is an old thread but I replaced my old switch with the one linked above (2 wires in old, 3 in new switch) and need help.

I combined the wires as described in the manual, 2 old wires matched to new labeled power and ground and spliced in the lead to pump into the pump wire, but I get a whine from the switch and pump turns on but slower than normal. The pump still works normally in manual but it seems like it is not getting enough voltage in automatic for the pump to work appropriate.

Anyone have thoughts?
Page 10 in the PDF shows a straight forward wiring schematic if indeed this is your application. Has to be close...

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 02-09-2014, 06:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post
Page 10 in the PDF shows a straight forward wiring schematic if indeed this is your application. Has to be close...

edit: bad ground, set up I had (as shown in pdf) was right but when grounded to engine worked normally. Thanks.