Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 12-26-2005, 03:37 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: What ever floats your.....
MC COVER, How long does it.....?

OEM Mastercraft covers. How long should they last? Do you replace every few years or ??

I am thinking my new boat lift may or may not have a cover because of the tower. If it does not, how long can expect my cover to last and how often will I have to replace?
Now it is stored indoors for 7 months straight during winter and indoors when its not in use. But starting this season it may spend the other 5 months out in the elements so I don't have to trailer it as much.

When I say how long will it "last" I mean in good shape before it starts becoming non-functional.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:39 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: It's always changing! X-Star-Prostar190/205-Maristar
I have bought boats that are 10 years old that still have the original covers. That is also in the Florida sun!! The biggest tips I can give:

1) Get a cover that fits correctly.
2) Use poles under the cover to keep water from collecting on top.
3) Don't use any harsh detergents that could affect the integrity of the thread in the seams.
4) Make sure it is a quality material like Sunbrella.
5) Don't trailer with the cover on. These things weren't designed to withstand 75mph winds!!

With proper care, the cover should last you 10 years plus....not a bad investment !
Old 12-26-2005, 05:04 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
I used my OEM cover for about 10 years, then the seams started to let go and I replaced it with a canvas cover (which I got from Overtons that lasted about 8. I then had one made of (sorry, I cant remember which high end fabric it is) and have been using it for the last 6 years.

Although when the seams let go on the orginal, I got it resewn and now use it as the winter storage dust cover. The fabris still seems fine.

I did notice that the seams are starting to let go again in the front where sunlight shines in thru the garage window.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:06 PM
Leroy

THis is my 5th winter and still looks good. Around the poles is a little stretched out, but otherwise looks new. Mine is canvas.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:16 AM
MC Master Poster

10 years!?!?! They must be good.....
Old 12-27-2005, 09:30 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
If you are going to have it outside on a lift especially an uncoverd lift I would bite the bullet and buy a waterline Sunbrella cover from www.skiboatcovers.com They cover the platform and all of the gelcoat down the side so you don't get any fading. The Sunbrella is watertight but still breaths. Well worth the investment if it has to stay outside in the elements.
Attached Images

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Last edited by BrianM; 12-27-2005 at 09:33 AM.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:08 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianM
If you are going to have it outside on a lift especially an uncoverd lift I would bite the bullet and buy a waterline Sunbrella cover from www.skiboatcovers.com They cover the platform and all of the gelcoat down the side so you don't get any fading. The Sunbrella is watertight but still breaths. Well worth the investment if it has to stay outside in the elements.
Do they fit with a tower?
Old 12-27-2005, 12:49 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
They will custom fit them for any tower configuration. Great guys that make a really nice product.

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Old 12-27-2005, 05:44 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
With support poles and 303 fabric guard every 3 years or so, I've been able to get 13 years and counting out of mine. I had some torn seams beefed up where the tie downs had pulled them loose.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:03 PM
MC Master Poster

My '03 is still in perfect condition, but I was considering a OEM new one for the lift, and the current one for towing.