Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 09-10-2004, 04:12 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
Lawn Mower Trouble

OK, I know this is very off the wall (I can't find the Off-Topic Maintenance thread), but my trusty John Deere is acting up. I went out to mow yesterday and after mowing for a few minutes the engine started sputtering and died. Afterward it would only run with the choke on. I just replaced the fuel filter about 2 weeks ago, but it acts as if it's starving for fuel. Any suggestions?

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205, 275hp EFI -- Original Owner
Old 09-10-2004, 04:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, 19 FT, 1986 S&S, 351 Ford
Fuel Pump? Clogged Carb? Just a guess.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:48 PM
Leroy

I would guess something has clogged the fuel pickup. But it could just be something in the gas, even water. What is coming out the exhaust then? Any water, black smoke?

Just curious is this a JD from Lowes or from a JD tractor store? I've been shopping of one
Old 09-10-2004, 06:24 PM
MC Master Poster

How old is it? Look at the fuel line and check for cracks. If it has any at the high end, it's probably sucking air and it will definitely starve this way. If you remove the high side of the fuel line, take a fuel sample at the same time.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:18 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 95 PS 190 EFI
Send a message via AIM to jimmer2880
I don't know how old your JD is... I just re-built the carb on my '84 318. It was a piece of cake except for getting the darn thing off!

If you don't find any problems with the line, or fuel, I'd re-build. You didn't list what kind of JD you have. If you have a 318 with an ONAN engine, the kit will cost you $100.00. You'll also need exhaust manifold and intake gaskets. The only way to get the carb off is to remove the intake. The only way to remove the intake is to remove the exhaust manifold. Not all that difficult - just another 15 minutes or so.

good luck. Let me know if you have a 318 and more questions.
"I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
It's time to SKI.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:25 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
1995 345 model (18hp water-cooled Kawasaki engine, power steering, hydraulic lift deck, cruise, tilt, etc.).

I replaced the fuel filter, fuel line, and finally the fuel pump ($66). Still didn't help so I took it to the dealer. Turned out the float in the carb was stuck ($39). Next time I think I'll just take it to them first before I start replacing parts.

Thanks for all the advice guys. You not only know your boats but you're pretty good with other stuff too.

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205, 275hp EFI -- Original Owner