Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 12-15-2005, 06:15 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1979 Stars & Stripes Skier
How long?

How long can I go without stabalizing the fuel. I did not winterize the boat this year because I wanted to use it year round. Unfortunately I haven't been in it in about 4 weeks, I hope to drop her in the water this weekend, but if I can't should I take her and fill her up and add stabalizer? What about the fuel already in the engine. Thanks.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:57 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 1993 MASTERCRAFT PROSTAR 190 285HP 351 INDMAR
STA-BIL states 60 days to varnish stage. That is the worst case. I have read clumping of the molecules happens after 10-20 days. A brisk ride on a trailer should cure that. Probably not a bad idea to stablize even if short 3-4 week layoffs are expected. Carb/fuelie may also make a difference. My dirtbike was full of kerosene after 3 months!
Good luck,
See yah

!UOY NAHT RETSAF MA I TUB KNURD EB YAM I
Old 12-15-2005, 09:44 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: What ever floats your.....
6 weeks it's stale. SeaFoam or stabil it. Run it at least long enough to get the fuel/mix through the system. If not longer. I don't think filling it with more fuel will help. IMO.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:59 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsoncd
How long can I go without stabalizing the fuel. I did not winterize the boat this year because I wanted to use it year round. Unfortunately I haven't been in it in about 4 weeks, I hope to drop her in the water this weekend, but if I can't should I take her and fill her up and add stabalizer? What about the fuel already in the engine. Thanks.
Stabilizing the fuel in the tank only is better than nothing, but I'd be more worried about the unstabilized fuel in fuel system itself. That's where varnish is going to cause you the most trouble. I'd stabilize the tank now and hope that you do get a chance to run it before you put it up for the season.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:43 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1979 Stars & Stripes Skier
I will stabil it tommorrow and run it out this weekend, then refill and add more stabil. Is that the best thing to do.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:48 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 1993 MASTERCRAFT PROSTAR 190 285HP 351 INDMAR
If the boat is already in the water take 5 gallons of fresh gas and mix in enough sta-bil to cover what's in the tank. Poor it in and roll. If in the garage do the same thing and but jump around in the back to mix it up then go out and run it. I guess the answer is yes, keep it in there and you should never have to worry about varnish.
More often than not carb/fuel delivery problems can be avoided by using it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsoncd
I will stabil it tommorrow and run it out this weekend, then refill and add more stabil. Is that the best thing to do.

!UOY NAHT RETSAF MA I TUB KNURD EB YAM I
Old 12-16-2005, 10:56 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin' 4 Toys
6 weeks it's stale. SeaFoam or stabil it. Run it at least long enough to get the fuel/mix through the system. If not longer. I don't think filling it with more fuel will help. IMO.
This is what I'd do. I've always read to stabilize if it's going to be more than two weeks without running all the gas through the system. For me, that means stabilize just about every tank. But at the very least, I'll stabilize on the last day before the last run.

Sea foam it.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:42 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 Mastercraft Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin' 4 Toys
I disagree. I never run Sta-bil -or any addative- in my boat. It's sits for 6 months, all winter. Never had even the slightest fuel issue.

I never run Sta-bil -or any addative- in my snowmobiles. They sit for 6 months, all summer. Never had even the slightest fuel issue.

If my toys were going to be sitting for MORE than 6 months, I'd consider adding an addative or draining the tank and leaving the cap off so it could breath and stay dry.

Filling the tank w/more fuel won't help the evaporation of the "light ends" (what makes gas "go bad"), but it will help prevent condensation -> water formation in the tank, by reducing the amount of surface area insid the tank that water can condense on.

Final answer.... 4 weeks? Absolutely zero need to worry about that or add anything to your tank. Start it, warm it, run it.

-Tom
Old 12-16-2005, 02:39 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: What ever floats your.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm861triple
I disagree. I never run Sta-bil -or any addative- in my boat. It's sits for 6 months, all winter. Never had even the slightest fuel issue.

I never run Sta-bil -or any addative- in my snowmobiles. They sit for 6 months, all summer. Never had even the slightest fuel issue.

If my toys were going to be sitting for MORE than 6 months, I'd consider adding an addative or draining the tank and leaving the cap off so it could breath and stay dry.

Filling the tank w/more fuel won't help the evaporation of the "light ends" (what makes gas "go bad"), but it will help prevent condensation -> water formation in the tank, by reducing the amount of surface area insid the tank that water can condense on.

Final answer.... 4 weeks? Absolutely zero need to worry about that or add anything to your tank. Start it, warm it, run it.

-Tom
There is something VERY apparent here. You have ALOT better fuel than we have here. I'd be lucky to get my Honda lawnmower to run on untreated fuel after 4 weeks of sitting.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:58 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1989 Tristar 190
Kinda related question.....
How long does fuel sit after being produced I wonder (considering reserves and all)??