http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...g-pickups.html
Old 08-29-2014, 09:30 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
That's a fail, on all three's part.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:03 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
I couldn't care less about payload. As long as the 5 people in my truck can bring their luggage and a cooler of beer, I'm happy. I'll just throw the rest in the boat... because I love overloading my boat and blowing tires.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:13 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '07 X45 LY6
So basically they fudged by a couple hundred pounds. Not a big deal in my opinion. Payload rating is not as important to me add tow rating. And if I'm within a couple hundred pounds of that, I need a bigger truck anyway. I do agree it is a poor practice and somewhat deceitful. All for marketing and those numbers in the real world don't mean that much. A guide yes. Numbers to live by, no.

You look like I need a beer!

2001 Prostar 195 Sold

2007 X45 LY6
Old 08-29-2014, 10:14 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '07 X45 LY6
I should leave out somewhat.

You look like I need a beer!

2001 Prostar 195 Sold

2007 X45 LY6
Old 08-29-2014, 10:24 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
So basically they fudged by a couple hundred pounds. Not a big deal in my opinion. Payload rating is not as important to me add tow rating. And if I'm within a couple hundred pounds of that, I need a bigger truck anyway. I do agree it is a poor practice and somewhat deceitful. All for marketing and those numbers in the real world don't mean that much. A guide yes. Numbers to live by, no.
Not a big deal, agreed. But deceit is a great way to drive customers away, in any business. JMO
Old 08-29-2014, 10:49 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Current: '03 X2 w/ MCX. Former: '91 Prostar
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott023 View Post
That's a fail, on all three's part.
All three meaning Ford, GM, and Chrysler? Did I not read Chrysler verified that a legitimate curb weight was used in their calc?
Old 08-29-2014, 10:56 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by soacj View Post
All three meaning Ford, GM, and Chrysler? Did I not read Chrysler verified that a legitimate curb weight was used in their calc?
You are correct, I misread that. My bad.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft,powerslot,1983,pleasurecraft 351
If they fudged the payload rating, you can bet they also manipulated the tow rating.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:50 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
I will spin it this way. What they fudged was MINIMUM curb weight and MAXIMUM cargo capacity (I will assert trailer weight is also inflated but more on that following)
We are talking a couple hundred pounds that except to lawyers should mean nothing.
300# is rarely going to make or break an accident. It was the driver's decision to push to the "Maximum" and not take extra driving precautions or understand the true limits of his rig.

It is the owner's responsibility to ensure the load does not exceed the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) and even more important, individual AXLE ratings. This includes all people and gear in the cab and bed.
OTR hot shot drivers know the tricks to staying legal while running the smallest, efficient rig possible and maximizing load.
To Joe Blow, this story is really just a shot to his ego of how much his truck is capable of and bragging rights.
Implementing SAE J2807 would curtail many of these little mfg tricks and fibs. Toyota said YES, Dodge recently did, GM was ready, Ford is dragging its feet.

I will assert, 80% of those that tow within 70% of the max trailer rating are over GVWR. Especially those using an SUV. That is because Max trailer weight is figured with a single 180# person ONLY. Add 3-4 more people, plus gear; SUV is probably over weight before the trailer even presses on the ball. 1500 Crew cab will be over GVWR once the trailer is hooked.
Don't like hearing it? That's reality!

Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating (GCVWR) is an important number for owners to understand (but depending on state, less legally worrysome)
This is total recommended weight of everything in the vehicle PLUS the trailer.

Weights an owner should know on his specific rig:
1) tow vehicle with a full tank and person. 2) tow vehicle wheels ONLY with trailer attached.
3) tow vehicle and trailer.
Then factor extra people and all the gear loaded vs what is printed on the plate inside the driver's door and glove box.

Trailer braking is what BOAT people specifically, don't consider. Trailer ratings are figured with electric brakes in every test I have seen. Boat trailers usually have surge brakes (whether they work effectively is another question). Surge brakes are as effective as electric once fully engaged but it takes the inertia of the trailer pushing on the ball to activate the brakes. This is too late when diving into a corner or sudden stop and can over heat brakes in the mountains when the tow vehicle needs to rely on them the most. Plus trailer wag can not be controlled by applying the trailer brakes separately.

ALL this goes back to the real question of what is safe and what is too much?
Yes, the load can get up to speed with the current overpowered engines and drive lines that have been reinforced to match but can it be controlled and stopped in an emergency and is the DRIVER skilled enough to change driving style from unloaded vehicle?

Last edited by bsloop; Yesterday at 08:12 AM.