Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-19-2014, 12:52 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1989 190 Tristar
351 Water in Oil Question?

I found the aft right freeze plug pushed out into my bilge one day last winter after a hard freeze. I replaced the freeze plug back in May, then ran the engine for about 20 minutes. Afterwards the oil had turned milky.
I'm just getting around to trying to find the source of the milky oil. I pulled the exhaust risers, manifolds, intake, and heads tonight.
I'm going to take a more thorough look at things tomorrow, but the only thing I saw that may have caused the milky oil was the head gasket on the back right cylinder was damage around the top of the cylinder. The ring in the head gasket had split there.
Is it possible that this is the only damage I have?
I need to take a wire wheel and get the remaining gasket material off the mating surfaces of the manifolds, intake, etc, to get a better look, but initially everything looks ok.
Anywhere else I should check before putting things back together?
Is there anything in the lower block that can crack and allow water to get into the oil?
Thanks!
Old 08-19-2014, 06:31 AM

Boat: 06 X30
I assume the one you pushed out was on the starboard rear. It seems to be the most common one in 351s that gets pushed out. There are water jackets in the block that can crack and lead to your troubles.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:14 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 99 prostar 205 LTR
I just ran across this, awhile browsing around this morning. Looks like a good deal, hope you don't need it, but hard freeze and Welch plug pushed out says you just might.http://gainesville.craigslist.org/boa/4614878303.html
Old 08-19-2014, 09:23 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Nice price or a turnkey replacement -if it's what it says it is.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
I assume the one you pushed out was on the starboard rear. It seems to be the most common one in 351s that gets pushed out. There are water jackets in the block that can crack and lead to your troubles.
How do you determine if a water jacket in the lower block is cracked? Right now I have it torn down to the short block. Going further would probably require pulling the engine. Is that the only way?
Old 08-19-2014, 12:52 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Well, that's kind of a problem. The crack maybe big enough to see with the naked eye or could be so small that you can't see it. It might be a hairline crack that only leaks water when it's hot and under pressure.

IIRC, there is a post here where someone is having the same issue as you. His crack seemed to be in the lifter valley. It was at the center inside water jacket and had a previous repair attempt done on it. You might look there first.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Since you mentioned a problem in the valley, one thing I found that might be my problem is a hole in the valley behind the forward wall, aft of where the distributor drops into the block. That paper towel in the picture is in the distributor hole.
I know this hole isn't supposed to be there. Not sure if water could get in there, or how freezing could cause this.
Could this be my problem?
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2014, 01:50 PM
TT Regular

What I have done in the past is use brake clean and wash down all of the visible areas of the block where you suspect a crack. Just spray really well, don't scrub. Then watch it as it dries and if there is a crack, it will stay wet longer than the rest and become visible. Quick alternative to a dye check. Don't forget to do the cylinder walls as well. Just don't forget that if you don't find a crack this way, it doesn't mean there is not one.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:56 PM
TT Regular

That hole is from the casting mold, nothing to worry about, it does not lead to a water jacket. A hole that size would have water running out of your valve covers in just a few moments of running.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyriver View Post
What I have done in the past is use brake clean and wash down all of the visible areas of the block where you suspect a crack. Just spray really well, don't scrub. Then watch it as it dries and if there is a crack, it will stay wet longer than the rest and become visible. Quick alternative to a dye check. Don't forget to do the cylinder walls as well. Just don't forget that if you don't find a crack this way, it doesn't mean there is not one.
I don't see any evidence of a crack. I guess I could hit everything. I did find one of the head gaskets on the aft right cylinder with the cylinder ring in the gasket split. I was wondering if that my cause it?