Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-17-2014, 02:45 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: '99 sportstar
Need help engine stalls

I have a 99 sportstar, 310hp, hurth 450d transmission. Here's the issue after 4 to 5 hours of almost none stop wakeboarding or surfing with the only brakes being the time it takes to switch riders. The engine dies when put into gear, like being snubbed, it will fire up and idle and can be revved in neutral. This happened 3 times this summer. The first time it died when we were surfing, the next two times it died after we had all the weight out and about 5 minutes into traveling 35 mph. I could feel the boat lose power about a 3 mph loss then it would just die. All the incidents had about a month in between and we go out 1 or 2 times a week. Also I could take it out the following day with no issues, engine temp was always at 160 and oil pressure is good. Transmission fluid was changed last fall by a dealer and the level is good and doesn't smell burnt. This is the second summer I've owned the boat and it has 210 hrs on it. O yeah the first time we were able to idle back to the trailer with it dieing every so often and we would wait to try again, second time we got a tow and the third was the same as the first.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:11 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
Could be a bad fuel pump, bad fuel filter(s) or possible clogged filter(s).

Have you checked any of these yet?
Old 08-17-2014, 03:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X7 MCX350
Check HT lead from Coil or Coil itself. I had the same problem. Rev OK in neutral stalled as soon as put into gear.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:00 PM
TT Newbie

No I haven't. Is it possible for a fuel pump to work intermittently after extended use? It could possibly pick something up after awhile and clog it.
I was leaning towards a transmission probably but really have no idea. I don't want to bring it to the dealer with a problem that isn't easily repeatable.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:18 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjake View Post
I have a 99 sportstar, 310hp, hurth 450d transmission. Here's the issue after 4 to 5 hours of almost none stop wakeboarding or surfing with the only brakes being the time it takes to switch riders. The engine dies when put into gear, like being snubbed, it will fire up and idle and can be revved in neutral. This happened 3 times this summer. The first time it died when we were surfing, the next two times it died after we had all the weight out and about 5 minutes into traveling 35 mph. I could feel the boat lose power about a 3 mph loss then it would just die. All the incidents had about a month in between and we go out 1 or 2 times a week. Also I could take it out the following day with no issues, engine temp was always at 160 and oil pressure is good. Transmission fluid was changed last fall by a dealer and the level is good and doesn't smell burnt. This is the second summer I've owned the boat and it has 210 hrs on it. O yeah the first time we were able to idle back to the trailer with it dieing every so often and we would wait to try again, second time we got a tow and the third was the same as the first.

99 - fuel pump in tank I assume. If yes that pump is starting to give up it's ghost. Check the Fuel Pump 101 thread.

Which engine?

Have you ever cleaned the spark arrestor? I don't believe it's your transmission - you would experience higher rpms and now forward/reverse power.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:50 PM
TT Newbie

Engine is the vortec mx plus. I haven't cleaned the spark arrestor.