Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 08-14-2014, 03:20 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Inboards
89 prostar 190 questions

OK so i recently got a prostar 190 and have a few questions about it. I got it knowing it will need some work and I have another inboard (non-mastercraft) but there are a few areas so far that i'm a bit curious about.

first off the rear seat is nowhere near stock. I have the equipment to make it and reupholster it but was curious if anyone had the design drawn up for the rear seat for that year or if it is for the newer years like the rounded '92 version that would be nice as well. If not if someone has their seat pulled if they could snap a couple pictures of it that would even be appreciated.

Onto the next question, the vinyl that mastercraft used, in '89 does anyone know what the name of the color grey is they used? If pictures are needed of the current vinyl please let me know and I will be happy to get them.

now mechanics. if you look at the output shaft it looks off to me. Any comments on this would be appreciated I just don't want to really mess something up or if something is messed up would rather fix it before it gets worse. (ignore the blower hose it is getting replaced)

now as we go to the rear of the boat, right under the forward most part of the fuel tank there is a cross member like piece. Mine appears to be broke in half. is this a structural piece or just to stop muffler vibrations? here are a couple pictures of it.

and finally it is has a powerslot in it and the prop is chewed up somewhat. I searched here for prop information but to be honest it was information overload. However what i did come up with was that looking in the faq the images in the comparison between the acme and the OJ i liked the propwash that the acme produced better than what was shown for the OJ. so for this boats configuration what acme prop would anyone suggest?

thanks for any and all help on these questions.
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2014, 08:21 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft Prostar 190
Is the damaged area right above the prop as it appears it may be. You said the prop was damaged so maybe something wedged between the prop and hull forcing that area up enough to pop that gel covering off. Any damage underneath?
Old 08-14-2014, 09:32 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
For the upholstery MC just called the grey color "grey", if the hull was a grey color they called it platinum.
heres a few scanned pics from the 1989 brochure.
Attached Images

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 08-14-2014, 01:30 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
I agree, your output shaft looks off. I haven't done it myself, but I know you can, using the adjustment bolts, move the engine from side to side to help straighten things out. Having said that, it's a multi-step process, as you will need to be checking clearance on the two halves of the shaft coupler. A quick google search comes up with quite a few results.
G
Old 08-14-2014, 01:39 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Send a message via AIM to cbryan70
does dino-don or some name like that have leftover vinyl for that era?
Old 08-14-2014, 01:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1983 Stars and Stripes PowerSlot
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbryan70 View Post
does dino-don or some name like that have leftover vinyl for that era?
I saw a post from Dyno Don just a couple of days ago saying that he still had some of the material. He's a good guy to deal with, as I bought some from him last year.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:41 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangtexas View Post
Is the damaged area right above the prop as it appears it may be. You said the prop was damaged so maybe something wedged between the prop and hull forcing that area up enough to pop that gel covering off. Any damage underneath?

nope no damage above the prop underneath.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:08 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft Pro Star 190 1989 351
Love the brochure mccreight! I have an 89 PS any idea where I can get a copy of the brochure from that year?
Old 08-15-2014, 05:08 AM
TT Regular

OK after reading the propshaft alignment documents here I'm curious about both the prop shaft log and the strut. I believe i can do the alignment part easily enough but because the shaft looks like it is to one side a bit what should i check for as well? scarring etc....

thanks
Old 08-15-2014, 08:51 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljaybee View Post
Love the brochure mccreight! I have an 89 PS any idea where I can get a copy of the brochure from that year?
I don't know where you can get a paper version, but in this thread I scanned the 1989 brochure that came with my boat when I bought my boat, not giving it up, lol, for the PS and TS...
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...=1989+brochure

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE

Last edited by j.mccreight@hotmail.com; 08-15-2014 at 09:33 AM.