Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 08-09-2014, 05:14 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2000 Prostar 205
Lame Stereo Questions

Hi guys, getting ready to start my stereo build and I'm on a budget looking for confirmation that what I'm trying to do will work.

I currently have a clarion M502 HU and 4 full range speakers run off the HU power. I'd like to add a PPI P900.4 amp for the full range speakers and a PPI P600.2 bridged to power a 10" sub in a sealed box under the helm. I only have 2 sets of RCA outs on the HU; Will this be an issue? The 900.4 is a 4 channel amp so I assume will take all of my avail RCA's. Can someone who knows better school me on the proper way to wire so I won't introduce any noise, add load to my electrical system, or damage my equipment?

Appreciate it!

Last edited by Longdrive; 08-09-2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:26 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 230 VRS
Your head unit doesn't have a dedicated set of sub RCAs so you have a few options. The 600.2 will have an RCA output. Feed it first with your rear pair then jump over to the 4 channel amp. You could then just put it in 2 ch mode (i.e. Amplify the rear signal to all 4 speaker outputs) and be done but you will have no fade control (front to rear).

You could run a separate RCA cable from the "front" pair on your head unit to the 4 channel amp and put it in 4 channel mode. This will give you some fade control but if you fade to the front your sub will drop out. You'll be able to fade to the rear without impacting your sub.

If you want full control then buy an equalizer and mount it under your head unit. Connect one pair and then it will "split" it up into front, rear and sub outputs. It will also give you distinct control right there with knobs which is nice. This is the route I would go. Clarion has one that's like $50 with 7 volt preamps and a good reputation. This is the way I would go.

It can be found elsewhere for less but these guys have the best pictures:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...on-EQS746.html
Old 08-09-2014, 06:29 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 230 VRS
Oh and on noise: put in a ground block for the amps and ground every audio component there. Reroute the head unit's ground there, your equalizer and of course both amps.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:34 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
You can actually run all 4 speakers and a sub off that 900.4 depending on what speakers and sub combination you are planning. You lose a little fading features but it's simple and easily done.

For the two amp solution with only two RCA outputs there are a couple different ways to set them up with y splitters depending on your goal if you want sub adjustability and zone control between the 4 speakers

Previous : 2000 X-Star, 3000lbs ballast, LTR 330, Acme 1235 14.5X14.25prop. 1200 hrs of flawless fun
Old 08-12-2014, 08:39 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff d View Post
Oh and on noise: put in a ground block for the amps and ground every audio component there. Reroute the head unit's ground there, your equalizer and of course both amps.
It would be better to call it 'distribution block' since these are also used for the power cable connections. It would also make it easier to find.

That being the case, using one power cable and ground cable for the whole system is the best way to make sure everything is on the same circuit.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:23 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '99 205V
Just get the PPI 900.5 and you've got 4 channels plus a dedicated sub channel.