Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-04-2014, 08:48 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Maristar 240 425HP BBC/36 Spectre Cat 1400HP 130MPH/32 Glasstream CC Twin 300HP Verado/Cougar FTD Basscat 20' 225 Merc Pro XS
1989 Maristar 240 value?

I am considering selling my 1989 Maristar 240 with 400hp BBC 174.2 original hrs. Boat is in excellent condition inside and out. Has new Sony stereo, dripless shaft, 4 blade prop, new Johnson water pump, perko flush, new trailer winch, complete new dash panels, starter, battery etc. Trailer still has original tires and some road rash otherwise good condition. Still has original speaker that play great but covers that I have keep falling off. Interior in good condition only minor scuffing on top of back storage hatch, not perfect but has many years of wear left in it. What do you think boat would sell for and is there much interest in this model boat? Fresh water only. Boat was stored inside till 2 yrs ago. Has been covered outside since. I purchased with 144 original hrs. Runs 46-48 mph. Boat is in VA. Any questions? Thanks for the info.
Attached Images

Old 08-04-2014, 10:02 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X-Star 2009 X-Star (SOLD) 2003 X2 (SOLD)
Looks nice. What is that like 7 hours per year. Think I did that last weekend.
Seriously though that will be tough to price because it looks really nice for the age. I would think you could sell it fairly easy once you can get them to look at it.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:03 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X-Star 2009 X-Star (SOLD) 2003 X2 (SOLD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmcfarland View Post
Looks nice. What is that like 7 hours per year. Think I did that last weekend.
Seriously though that will be tough to price because it looks really nice for the age. I would think you could sell it fairly easy once you can get them to look at it.

Guess I never really answered your question. Not much experience with this age but I would guess mid to upper teens.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:12 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Sporkcraft

Last edited by Spork; 11-16-2015 at 07:25 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:43 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Very clean boat!
Swim platform has been nicely maintained. Still thick and square so it has not been sanded much.

Down sides for what people today are looking for in a watersports boat:
No tower or stereo and direct drive engine box. Brackish water boat.
Square engine hatch dates it's styling compared to 1990 models that have the modern rounded dog house.

Depending on how much you are marketing it, old tires are a big problem for anyone trailering a distance. You will have sunk $400-500 on new tires that will be essentially discounted into zero additional value because they are regular maintenance items but it may close the deal on a long distance sale. I would probably do all the leg work with a local shop to have price and install options figured out so it is a bump for the buyer when he drives in, not deal breaker.
Definitely have bearings repacked NOW. And if these are original tires (or OLD), I am guessing old brake fluid which means brakes need to be purged at a minimum and likely don't work due to rust on internal components?

My bet is $9-12k it sells. High teens; you are going to have to find the dream sucker buyer and talk him up big time.
Good Luck with the sale!
Old 08-05-2014, 03:59 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Maristar 240 425HP BBC/36 Spectre Cat 1400HP 130MPH/32 Glasstream CC Twin 300HP Verado/Cougar FTD Basscat 20' 225 Merc Pro XS
Thanks for the comments guys. Some more info. The original owner boat came from WY traded to a dealer for a fishing boat in Aurora CO. Was a fresh water boat as mentioned. I live in a mostly fresh to brackish tributary on the upper Potomac river in northern VA. Have only run the boat for 30 hrs. It was winterized last October and is still winterized and covered. Have not used this season. The wheel bearings I specifically had them replaced by dealer as needed before the 1700 mi trip to me in VA from Denver area that's where road rash on trailer came from, driver said they use cinders on road when snowing. And had them inspect the brakes, tires and spare before trip made it here with no problems that was 2012. All can be inspected before purchase. Still I would replace tires they look like older bias ply tires. Trailer has only been dunked 4-5 times here in VA. I live on the water front, boat stays on lift. But we all know how trailer brakes can go away anytime. Some of the clear coat is coming off of chrome wheels also. I would be willing to negotiate to a certain point any unexpected problems. It is a 1989 boat and not perfect. But I think you would be searching a long time to find one this clean. Took me 2 years and I didn't mind paying a little more for this condition. I think someone could add a tower, etc. and have a nice large, high powered, set up for not much money. I would be open to all offers if I decide to sell. Any more opinions, questions or comment are welcome. I could live with the 15-17k range. Thanks
Old 08-05-2014, 04:21 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1990 Maristar 240 SC, 454/425hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by boater8987 View Post
Thanks for the comments guys. Some more info. The original owner boat came from WY traded to a dealer for a fishing boat in Aurora CO. Was a fresh water boat as mentioned. I live in a mostly fresh to brackish tributary on the upper Potomac river in northern VA. Have only run the boat for 30 hrs. It was winterized last October and is still winterized and covered. Have not used this season. The wheel bearings I specifically had them replaced by dealer as needed before the 1700 mi trip to me in VA from Denver area that's where road rash on trailer came from, driver said they use cinders on road when snowing. And had them inspect the brakes, tires and spare before trip made it here with no problems that was 2012. All can be inspected before purchase. Still I would replace tires they look like older bias ply tires. Trailer has only been dunked 4-5 times here in VA. I live on the water front, boat stays on lift. But we all know how trailer brakes can go away anytime. Some of the clear coat is coming off of chrome wheels also. I would be willing to negotiate to a certain point any unexpected problems. It is a 1989 boat and not perfect. But I think you would be searching a long time to find one this clean. Took me 2 years and I didn't mind paying a little more for this condition. I think someone could add a tower, etc. and have a nice large, high powered, set up for not much money. I would be open to all offers if I decide to sell. Any more opinions, questions or comment are welcome. I could live with the 15-17k range. Thanks
I have a 90 240SC (Cuddy) that we bought new that I wouldn't let go for less than $18K....mine has around 450 hours and we put a tower on it a couple of years ago which totally changed the boat for the better. Getting the ropes out of the boat made the back seat actually usable. With your low hours, for less than $20K, someone would be getting an incredible buy for a wake/surf/airchair boat. Mine puts launch-ramp wakes at low speeds without bags. And as for reliability, mine has been totally solid and we have only replaced upholstery, but I take care of my stuff.
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2014, 11:02 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6gun View Post
I have a 90 240SC (Cuddy) that we bought new that I wouldn't let go for less than $18K....mine has around 450 hours and we put a tower on it a couple of years ago which totally changed the boat for the better. Getting the ropes out of the boat made the back seat actually usable. With your low hours, for less than $20K, someone would be getting an incredible buy for a wake/surf/airchair boat. Mine puts launch-ramp wakes at low speeds without bags. And as for reliability, mine has been totally solid and we have only replaced upholstery, but I take care of my stuff.
Very nice boat. What power does it have?
Old 08-08-2014, 07:22 PM
TT Regular

Any more price suggestions? I have decided to go ahead and list is for sale when I get a chance.
Thanks
Old 08-27-2014, 12:24 PM
TT Regular

Thanks everyone for helping me price my Maristar. Boat sold for full asking price of $15995 here locally to the first family that looked at it within 30 minutes of them checking it out. They were amazed at the condition. Picked it up yesterday and went straight to Lake Anna and had a great new boat day. They also have a 1986 Pro Star 190 they are keeping too.