Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-13-2014, 01:38 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190
My '91 PS190 was cranking slowly for a while and it turned out to be the two battery terminals that were clamped to the copper cables. The terminals looked clean where they attached to the battery so they fooled me, but were actually rusty and corroded where they clamped onto the wires themselves and you couldn't see the problem until taken apart. Easy fix.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:46 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 99 prostar 205 LTR
I would pull the spark plugs and use a ratchet on the crankshaft balancer bolt to rotate the crankshaft. Make sure you rotate a full 360 degrees several times, the crankshaft should rotate freely and smoothly with minimal resistance. If you feel any change in resistance while rotating or if it requires a lot of effort to rotate you may have scorched or spun a bearing.
If it rotates freely and smoothly then I would look back at the battery cables and starter motor.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:55 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 99 prostar 205 LTR
Update?
Old 08-17-2014, 09:32 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Ski Supreme, Sierra SS,1987, 351W 240hp
I was able to get it to fire a few times but it kept wanting to die. Now it will barely crank over at all. I cleaned off my ground, swapped all my cables to new and still the same thing. I've decided to just replace the block as planned over the winter and live to fight another day. I believe I'm fighting a losing battle on this one. I plan to replace all the wiring under the dash, get new harnesses. After all of the work I've done to the boat itself I might as well just do absolutely everything to hopefully not chase my tail next season.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:34 AM
TT Regular

I planned to get a new long block from rapido marine as mentioned. They seem to have a good track record from what I've read.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:33 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spievy79 View Post
I was able to get it to fire a few times but it kept wanting to die. Now it will barely crank over at all. I cleaned off my ground, swapped all my cables to new and still the same thing. I've decided to just replace the block as planned over the winter and live to fight another day. I believe I'm fighting a losing battle on this one. I plan to replace all the wiring under the dash, get new harnesses. After all of the work I've done to the boat itself I might as well just do absolutely everything to hopefully not chase my tail next season.
When you write that "it will barely crank over at all", does this mean the starter barely cranks it? Does it crank easily if the spark plugs have been removed? If so, check the timing. If the timing is advanced too much, it will be hard to crank and sometimes, it will crank, pause, slowly rotate and crank again.

Why do you plan to replace all of the wiring under the dash?

If you have a set of jumper cables for your car, connect one clamp to the post on the solenoid that doesn't have the battery cable on it, then clamp the other end of that cable to the other post. If it cranks easily, you may just have a bad solenoid.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:13 AM
TT Regular

Can you elaborate on the posts to the solenoid? I have four posts occupied. On top is the positive to the battery, on the side is a smaller gauge with two wires connected to it, then another small one with one wire connected, then the larger post on the bottom that goes to the stater. Are you saying to take the battery, connect jumper cables to it and do it that way then? I'm not so great with electrical.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:15 AM
TT Regular

The reason for the dash is its age and corrosion in the wires is all. Also, the timing has not been changed since the last time I ran it
Old 08-17-2014, 12:31 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spievy79 View Post
Can you elaborate on the posts to the solenoid? I have four posts occupied. On top is the positive to the battery, on the side is a smaller gauge with two wires connected to it, then another small one with one wire connected, then the larger post on the bottom that goes to the stater. Are you saying to take the battery, connect jumper cables to it and do it that way then? I'm not so great with electrical.
It has two large posts- skinny little ones can't handle much current. The contacts inside that connect the battery to the starter motor can become burned, usually by cranking when teh battery is discharged. This is the most common cause of batteries and starters dying- once it begins to crank slower, stop cranking and let it cool before trying again. Electrical resistance in a conductor increases when the temperature of the conductor increases and high current in a conductor will always make it hot. It can become so hot that the contacts melt and if you have heard someone talk about turning the key and it kept cranking after the engine started, this is usually the reason.

The big ones. You want to bypass the solenoid, to find out if that's why it doesn't crank at normal speed.

"Are you saying to take the battery, connect jumper cables to it and do it that way then?"

No, use the cable of one color (black, red, whatever), but only one color- connect one clamp to the side that DOESN'T have the heavy red cable on it and then attach the other clamp to the post with the battery's cable to it. It will spark, so make sure there's nothing flammable nearby, but it should also crank freely. If it still seems like it's being restricted, remove the spark plugs and try it again. If that doesn't help, give the battery a full charge and try again. If it still doesn't crank normally, remove the starter and have it tested.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:44 PM
TT Regular

Ok, I'll give that a try. Thanks again.