Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 07-31-2014, 05:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Xstar
Problem with sound system. I need a sound expert

We are on vacation at our favorite lake. This morning my sound system was working perfectly fine. After a while the mid and tweeters would cut out and the bass would be the only thing playing. then all the speakers would start working intermittently for 10 seconds. then everything would shut off and just the bass would work.I tried to find a loose connection and can't figure out where the problem is. When the speakers come on my JL audio amp power light turns on but when the music speakers go off the JL audio amp power light is off any thoughts?

my boat is a 2002 X star it has 3 JL audio amp Clarion head unit , tower speakers,speakers in the front, and a eclipse 21010 equalizer. I did not install the system it was in the boat when I bought it. Thanks for the help
Old 07-31-2014, 05:58 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 X Star, cute pumpkin motor, 2008 XStar LY6 (gone), 2006 X-15 (gone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by john jones View Post
We are on vacation at our favorite lake. This morning my sound system was working perfectly fine. After a while the mid and tweeters would cut out and the bass would be the only thing playing. then all the speakers would start working intermittently for 10 seconds. then everything would shut off and just the bass would work.I tried to find a loose connection and can't figure out where the problem is. When the speakers come on my JL audio amp power light turns on but when the music speakers go off the JL audio amp power light is off any thoughts?

my boat is a 2002 X star it has 3 JL audio amp Clarion head unit , tower speakers,speakers in the front, and a eclipse 21010 equalizer. I did not install the system it was in the boat when I bought it. Thanks for the help
For me it turned out to be a bad cord from the Amp. Had almost a similar issue on my 2008. Check all the connections, and finally narrowed it down when it happened on the lake. Bought a new cord and fixed it. It took about 30 min on the lake of pluging/unplugging etc, to narrow it down.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
Battery voltage is always the first suspect, but sounds like the in-boats' amp Turn-on might be dropping in and out. Could be tough to isolate without a volt meter though. You would almost have to luck up and find the problem.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLA View Post
Battery voltage is always the first suspect, but sounds like the in-boats' amp Turn-on might be dropping in and out. Could be tough to isolate without a volt meter though. You would almost have to luck up and find the problem.
I have a multimeter with me. Just not familiar with how to check the amps
out. Guess I'm lucky that it's not an engine problem, but if it was I would understand it better than I would understand this audio system.

I will try again to look for a loose connection somewhere thanks for the help.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
From your description, it appears that the amplifier running the mids/highs is actually 'shutting off/turning on' per the LED indicator rather than going into the protection mode. Double check that the LED is going out rather than changing colors. This would indicate low voltage rather than thermal or some other protection mode as a cause. Not all amplifiers have the same turn-on/off voltage threshold. From your description thus far, it doesn't appear to be volume sensitive.
Three supplies and/or connections can impact the voltage....1) the ground, 2) the primary positive, and 3) the remote turn-on lead. Triple check the ground connection at both ends and at every junction in between. Sometimes the connection appears 100% but it will not pass a hard physical tug test. Same process with the other supplies. The shock and vibration from the chop in a towboat can create an intermittent problem.
As mentioned above by MLA, a $20 multimeter will save you a ton of time and speculation.
There are many other potential causes including an amplifier with an internal problem, however, the above is simply a good probability based on your limited description.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
For now, you only need to read DC voltage.
Check the voltage across the amplifier terminals (rather than the supply) and while the amplifier is under load (meaning while it is playing).
* Neg. to neg. and the pos. probe to the remote turn-on pos.
* Neg. to neg. and the pos. probe to the primary supply pos.

Everything should remain operational with 12.0 volts.
If you have a sudden drop in voltage that coincides with the amplifier shutting down then you know your issue is wiring related and external to the amplifier. With another set of hands or alligator clips you can induce cable/wire/connector movement.
Then you can narrow down the path by measuring the voltage at the supply end and look for a discrepancy.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:12 AM
TT Enthusiast

after posting and eating lunch. We went back to our boat and went for an afternoon ride. I turn on the sound system and everything works perfectly. Is there a chance that my wife her was turned up with too much base and making the amplifier overload.? Everything seems to be working fine now not sure what to think thanks for all the help
Old 08-01-2014, 06:52 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by john jones View Post
after posting and eating lunch. We went back to our boat and went for an afternoon ride. I turn on the sound system and everything works perfectly. Is there a chance that my wife her was turned up with too much base and making the amplifier overload.? Everything seems to be working fine now not sure what to think thanks for all the help
If the power LED turns off, it's unlikely that the volume control was turned up too high and if it was set with too much bass, that's probably the bass is what would be cutting out.

Look at the wires connected to the battery- if there are several and the fuses are laying on the carpet near the battery case, make sure they aren't wet. Water can corrode the fuse and holder, making an intermittent connection. Also, if the battery has wing nuts for these wires, make sure they're snug and the ring terminals are attached correctly. Bad connections and terminations cause a lot of problems that could have been avoided.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:26 AM
TT Enthusiast

Well my situation got worse this morning. We were wakeboarding and my oil pressure gauge pegged at 80 psi. Alarm was beeping, I was trying to figure out why my oil pressure was so high and my radio had issues, I did as Jim said I checked my wing nuts on my battery. sure enough the on the ground side was loose. I tighten it up and all problems went away, even my stereo issue! thanks a lot for the help!