Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 12-07-2005, 11:18 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2005 X-2, MCX
MCX drain plugs?

Would anyone be willing to take pictures of their MCX (pref. V-drive MCX) and point out where all the drain plugs are that need to be pulled to drain the block and manifold?

The manual from Indmar has all but worthless pictures (and none accurately represent the MCX). I called Indmar and asked if they could send me a service manual for the MCX engine and they said that they don't have service manuals for sale! This seems awfully hard to believe since it seems like all the Outboard and I/O engine manufacturers have service manuals for sale at West Marine or other shops.

FWIW, I'm not planning on winterizing since I bought and installed a BoatSafe Heater, but I would like to know where the drain plugs are on the block and manifold for my own knowledge.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:26 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 X30 MCX - SOLD
I don't have any pictures, but if you look on the port side, there is a wiring harness connected to a bolt in the block, about halfway from front to back, right above the oil pan. This is the knock sensor, carefully take it out. The other side is a bolt in a mirrored location.

Manifold has a quick release on the connecting hose at the front (directly behind the seat). Just fell the hoses coming off the manifold until you find the connection, and un do.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:55 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC, 209, 2002, 310 HP
Have you tried to call indmar or look them up on the web- They have manuals available, I downloaded one for my '03 209.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:10 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2005 X-2, MCX
Yeah, I called them and asked for a service manual that was specific to the MCX, not just a generic one for their entire line of engines. They said they don't have anything like that.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:22 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 MasterCraft ProStar 197, MCX
Haven't been successful at posting pics yet, but it's pretty easy to describe since all the plugs are brass and thus distinctive see. Two plugs drain the block: each are located about middle of block just above oil pan. One side (port if V-drive) will have a 'knock sensor' attached to it - simply squeeze the clip together at the sensor to release the wire; my sensor/drain plug could be removed without a wrench. The only two actual drain plugs are located up on the exhaust exits, near the rear where the rubber exhaust hoses attach. These are a bit hidden on the underside of the manifold but you should be able to see the brass color give them away. There really isn't much else to get them confused with. Hopefully someone has some pics handy for you yet. Good luck -
Old 12-07-2005, 12:23 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 MasterCraft ProStar 197, MCX
Middle of my last post meant to say "only OTHER two plugs are located on exhaust manifold" - sorry.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:36 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Replaced the petcocks on my father-in-law's boat last weekend with plain old brass plugs. His had an extension off the block where the knock sensor was, so I used a brass plug there, too. 1/4" pipe thread for the block. 3/4" pipe thread for the manifolds. The inside of the petcocks had so much rust in them it was scarry. I don't trust the things.

Sorry for being slightly off topic.

Engine is Indmar/Chevy 350 TBI 308 hp. Plug measurements are the same for the 351 though.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.