Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 07-25-2014, 03:43 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Xstar 2008
Bluetooth disconnects when engine starts with brand new Fusion stereo in 2014 X46

This is a really annoying issue, would love to know if anyone knows how to fix it. Whenever I start the engine (pressing the start/stop button), the bluetooth disconnects from my phone so the music stops playing and all the fusion remotes on the boat (there are 3 of them installed) also disconnect and completely turn off. So to get music playing again, I have to go into my phone bluetooth settings and reconnect, then start playing music again. I also have to press the power button on all the fusion remotes to turn them on again. This does not happen when I stop the engine, only when starting it up.

Anyone else having this issue?
Old 07-25-2014, 05:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014, X30, 6.0 Gen2
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeder View Post
This is a really annoying issue, would love to know if anyone knows how to fix it. Whenever I start the engine (pressing the start/stop button), the bluetooth disconnects from my phone so the music stops playing and all the fusion remotes on the boat (there are 3 of them installed) also disconnect and completely turn off. So to get music playing again, I have to go into my phone bluetooth settings and reconnect, then start playing music again. I also have to press the power button on all the fusion remotes to turn them on again. This does not happen when I stop the engine, only when starting it up.

Anyone else having this issue?
Pretty much everyone. There's another whole thread about it.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:38 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by atthelake View Post
Pretty much everyone. There's another whole thread about it.
How often do you change what's playing? Honestly, having dealt with wireless crap for decades, I use a wired connection as often as possible.

The stereo doesn't receive power on the red wire when the key is in the crank position, nor does the BT module- this is the same as in a car. This problem isn't due to MC or Fusion neglecting to design anything into the equipment or an issue with the design- it's due to the fact that the BT module is outboard of the head unit and because a complete redesign while it's already being made is expensive.

The easiest way around this is to install what's called a 'pulse stretcher', AKA '555 timer'. 555 refers to the electronic device that's acting as the timer, but these are used extensively in car audio and security. They take voltage input to trigger the timer, then hold that voltage until the time limit is reached. They typically hold a pulse for .5-30 seconds or up to minutes, depending on the model. PAC has them and they're available at Walmart or a car audio/security shop. Some boat parts stores sell them, but I would go elsewhere.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/21550482?w...599990&veh=sem

Here's the installation diagram and instructions-
http://www.pac-audio.com/PACProductD...ons_010505.pdf

PAC TR-7 Blue wire--> BT module's red wire
TR-7 Red Wire--> Constant power
TR-7 Black wire--> Ground
TR-7 Green wire--> Boat's red ignition wire

Page three shows the method for setting the pulse length.

List price $34.95, Walmart's site shows the price as $20.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft X-30 2014
I finally stopped playing Bluetooth and switched to putting my music on a thumb drive. Problem solved.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:59 PM
MC Master Poster

BTW- that pulse stretcher can be used to latch a relay when current will exceed 2A and I would recommend wiring it that way, so the red leads from the BT module AND the head unit can remain live while cranking. That would completely eliminate the problem with resetting the head unit/BT/remotes.

There's also a way to latch a relay that requires nothing more than applying power, but it needs to be manually un-latched.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:16 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014, X30, 6.0 Gen2
Thanks Jim! No idea about 99% of what you were talking about but I'll give it a shot.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:13 PM
TT Newbie

Does anyone know if MC will install a pulse stretcher or something similar?
Old 07-29-2014, 04:54 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeder View Post
Does anyone know if MC will install a pulse stretcher or something similar?
You mean, at the factory? Hard to say- have you contacted them about it? I only thought of it while I was talking to Tech Support at Fusion last week, so you might mention it to them as a possible solution.

If the boat has a battery disconnect and it's in the OFF position when the boat isn't in use, the BT module could be wired 'Hot' and then the only draw would be when the bilge pump's auto switch engages. The BT module could also be wired through an accessory switch that's always used for something else.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:09 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1984 MasterCraft S&S
There is a service bulletin to rewire the stereo for this issue "IF" the customer wants it wired differently. The Bluetooth disconnects because the radio looses power because the radio is wired to the key switch. If you do the rewiring the radio will no longer be wired to the key. It will be hot all the time. It will no longer turn off with the key. You will have to remember to turn off the radio when done. The rewire does not work if Xstar though.
brucej@actionwater.com

1984 MasterCraft Stars&Stripes. Fully restored.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:17 PM
TT Newbie

Nice, thanks Bruce. I contacted my dealer to see what they can do.