Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-24-2014, 09:33 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1993 Prostar 190 Stars&Stripes 25th Anniversary.
pylon extension pole recommendations

I am considering a pylon extension pole and was wondering if I could have some recommendations. It looks like the Fat Pole and the Fly High are the two most popular. Thank for any advice, pro/cons, etc.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:02 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 89 tristar 190
Lower cost alternative than a tower. I have the barefoot international one cause it came with the boat. Sadly the racks that go on them are no longer available. May be worth saving for a tower. They do give the same lift effect as a tower

1989 tristar 190
Old 07-24-2014, 10:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 PROSTAR 205
I have a fly high stainless. We wakeboard and I barefoot off of it. It is the same effect as a tower but not as convenient.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:14 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 X1
Go with the stainless fly high / barefoot international over the skylon. We've had both and though they both work fine, the fly high is a lot better quality.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:01 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
I have a Barefoot International Fly High. No complaints.
Attached Images

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 07-24-2014, 11:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
I have an older Skylon that came with the boat. Works well. My only complaint is that the flip lever to tighten the cable that runs to the bowstrap is a bit hard to latch. Solved this by using a ratchet strap from the top of the pole to the lifting eye on the top deck. I tighten the ratchet until I can flip the lever on the cable, then release the ratchet. Works great!
G
Old 07-24-2014, 11:31 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweaver View Post
I have an older Skylon that came with the boat. Works well. My only complaint is that the flip lever to tighten the cable that runs to the bowstrap is a bit hard to latch. Solved this by using a ratchet strap from the top of the pole to the lifting eye on the top deck. I tighten the ratchet until I can flip the lever on the cable, then release the ratchet. Works great!
G
Ah.................a thinking man, you are.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 07-24-2014, 11:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
The lift eye is for lifting, pulling back and forth on it would make me nervous with the amount of pressure that can be involved. The strap that comes with it should be looped on the end. Drop it over the bow and under the D-ring to be safe. Your boat, do what you want of course. I run an oddball brand called flite pipe. Out of business now I think, but nice for the fact that it mounts onto a set of bracket that attach to the pylon. Keeps the trick release and boom mount from being a concern. There are some racks out there that will fit an extended pylon still, but most of them will cost you some head room.
My brother has your same boat and his came with a tower. Looks decent, and is very functional with board racks and bimini and such, but he wished it wasn't there when he bought it.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:16 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
That's a good point. From here on out, I'll try to remember to hook the ratchet strap to the bow strap. FWIW, I run the bow strap through the D-ring.
On a side, note, since I bought the boat, the life eye has always been loose. Should it be 'wobbly' or should it be snugged down to the deck?
G
Old 07-25-2014, 07:56 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1993 Prostar 190 Stars&Stripes 25th Anniversary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweaver View Post
That's a good point. From here on out, I'll try to remember to hook the ratchet strap to the bow strap. FWIW, I run the bow strap through the D-ring.
On a side, note, since I bought the boat, the life eye has always been loose. Should it be 'wobbly' or should it be snugged down to the deck?
G
on the bow eye... mine was loose when I bought it. Bothered me as I was sure that over time it would damage the fiberglass/gel coat. I did not want to over tighten against the gel coat either because I worried about spider cracking the gel. I made black rubber washer about 1/2" thick to go between the bow lifting eye and deck. it allowed me to tighten the bow eye while protecting gel coat and also creates a water tight seal. I will take some pictures this weekend.