Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 07-24-2014, 03:42 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 mastercraft p190
Bleeder screws

So I went to bleed my brakes on the x star trailer last weekend.. Master cyl was empty, so I started filling and pushing fluid to the wheels to find all of the bleeders were leaking. Brakes were supposed to be brand new (which they are). I honesty don't ever think they have worked since I've had the boat. Wasn't a huge deal towing with diesel hd trucks. I just wanted to check they were functional for the suburban.

This is what all 4 bleeders look like. Maybe I'm wrong but there's something missing. Fluid flows out constantly.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 Prostar 197
Interesting all 4 are missing the nipple assembly that the bleeder hose fits on. Is this brand new??? Or new to you???
Old 07-24-2014, 04:14 PM
MC Devotee

New to me, it's an 05 boat and trailer I purchased in April and I'm just now messing with the brakes. They were supposed to be functional.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

I'm trying to think why someone would take 4 of the fittings off to start with?

Either way the calipers probably have water in them. Four bleeder screws (preferably brass) and bleed the brakes. My biggest worry would be rust in the caliper piston area unless they are known to be stainless steel. The only sure way to sleep good at night would be a total disassembly. Did yours have the fateful Reliable actuator or lucky enough to be a UFP one?
Old 07-24-2014, 05:39 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010Prostar197 View Post
I'm trying to think why someone would take 4 of the fittings off to start with?

Either way the calipers probably have water in them. Four bleeder screws (preferably brass) and bleed the brakes. My biggest worry would be rust in the caliper piston area unless they are known to be stainless steel. The only sure way to sleep good at night would be a total disassembly. Did yours have the fateful Reliable actuator or lucky enough to be a UFP one?

I wish I knew why they weren't there, maybe got left loose for bleeding and all have fallen out? Trailer has the new upgraded actuator thankfully.

When I started bleeding the brakes the other day the fluid that came out wasn't bad looking at all. I'm with you I figured it would be rusty in the calipers.

Any idea on the thread of the bleeder screws? Save me time at the parts store hunting around.

Thanks
Old 07-24-2014, 05:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

I think 1/8 npt

Take the part you have in with you. The local Napa store here has the brass ones. Standard part but you can get them in steel or brass. Kodiak carries the brass ones. I believe www.kodiaktrailer.com
Old 07-24-2014, 06:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197
FWIW, I would rebuild the calipers no matter what. The problem isn't going to be that you can make the brakes start working with fluid and a bleed. Rather, that once the brakes become operational, they won't release due to rust/corrosion, and seize up on the rotors. That leads to the potential for tire failure, bearing meltdown, fire and really bad gas mileage.

Ask me how I know

The PO of my trailer really neglected it so I took the safe route and replaced my calipers outright. There is the option to rebuild what you have--its mostly a matter of twisting the piston out of the cylinder and taking some fine emery cloth to chase out any corrosion on both.

If you find that the metal is grooved or pitted, then I'd opt for a full replacement. I think a pair of Kodiak 225s are about $150 at Etrailer, but you'll at least get "free" bleeder nipples included and a fresh set of pads too.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:23 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010Prostar197 View Post
I think 1/8 npt

Take the part you have in with you. The local Napa store here has the brass ones. Standard part but you can get them in steel or brass. Kodiak carries the brass ones. I believe www.kodiaktrailer.com
I tried 1/8 npt last week when I found the problem. Won't fit

Thanks for the link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kweisner View Post
FWIW, I would rebuild the calipers no matter what. The problem isn't going to be that you can make the brakes start working with fluid and a bleed. Rather, that once the brakes become operational, they won't release due to rust/corrosion, and seize up on the rotors. That leads to the potential for tire failure, bearing meltdown, fire and really bad gas mileage.

Ask me how I know

The PO of my trailer really neglected it so I took the safe route and replaced my calipers outright. There is the option to rebuild what you have--its mostly a matter of twisting the piston out of the cylinder and taking some fine emery cloth to chase out any corrosion on both.

If you find that the metal is grooved or pitted, then I'd opt for a full replacement. I think a pair of Kodiak 225s are about $150 at Etrailer, but you'll at least get "free" bleeder nipples included and a fresh set of pads too.
I'll probably just and up breaking down and getting some new calipers. It's sad because the ones on the boat are supposed to be pretty new.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:03 PM
MC Devotee

Found the screws locally. Sent my half a bleeder to my parts guy and he found some that fit in an assortment. Had to get 20 bleeders to end up with 4 that I need.