Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 07-23-2014, 04:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 X star
Thoughts on setup

Looking to add a small system to my boat. Right now I'm currently only running 2 pairs of XS650's and wanted to add a sub. So I was on the Wetsounds website and they said the SYN4 is compatible with 2 pairs of 650s and one XS 12. Has anyone done this set up? I'm not looking to spend a lot of cash as we have very young kids and the stereo will never be loud. Just want a little bass to go with the 650s.

Also I read that the XS12 likes a ported box. Can I fit a ported box under the helm of my 01 xstar?
Old 07-24-2014, 09:30 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersonmc View Post
Looking to add a small system to my boat. Right now I'm currently only running 2 pairs of XS650's and wanted to add a sub. So I was on the Wetsounds website and they said the SYN4 is compatible with 2 pairs of 650s and one XS 12. Has anyone done this set up? I'm not looking to spend a lot of cash as we have very young kids and the stereo will never be loud. Just want a little bass to go with the 650s.

Also I read that the XS12 likes a ported box. Can I fit a ported box under the helm of my 01 xstar?

Yes, the XS12 works great in a ported box. For ideal results you need about 2.75 cu.ft. of external displacement for the enclosure.
Yes, the Syn4 will drive two pair of coaxials and a 4-ohm 12-inch sub in the three channel mode.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 X star
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Analog View Post
Yes, the XS12 works great in a ported box. For ideal results you need about 2.75 cu.ft. of external displacement for the enclosure.
Yes, the Syn4 will drive two pair of coaxials and a 4-ohm 12-inch sub in the three channel mode.
So is 2.75 cubic ft to big for under helm?
Old 07-24-2014, 05:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

That is exactly why I gave you the exterior size as it pertains to the boat so you could help yourself to a measurement.
Keep in mind that you have some latitude in the shape of the enclosure as long as it sums to the same displacement.
Insertion angles, access, mounting, and slightly raising the enclosure off the sole for drainage and evaporation, are all important elements besides the displacement.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 02 X-Star
I have an alpine pdx amp running my 2 pairs of 650s and 12" wetsounds sub (can't remember what model it is) in my 02 star. I know a lot of people run boxes, but I didn't want to ruin my storage space and put it in the kick panel under the drivers feet with no enclosure. Sub is well matched to the 650s and the pair of rev-8s I have.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Looked it up, I have a pdx 5m. I chose it over WS amps because at the time (3 years ago) I thought it would have a lower power draw, size and I could find one on eBay for about half what wetsounds wanted for their amp. BTW its 75x4 and 300x1.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:38 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by willg View Post
I have an alpine pdx amp running my 2 pairs of 650s and 12" wetsounds sub (can't remember what model it is) in my 02 star. I know a lot of people run boxes, but I didn't want to ruin my storage space and put it in the kick panel under the drivers feet with no enclosure. Sub is well matched to the 650s and the pair of rev-8s I have.
Running a minimally damped air suspension type woofer without an enclosure is like taking the shock absorbers off your car and running with just the coil springs. Lots of uncontrolled and exaggerated motion. The ride (like tonal construction) is in the tank.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:45 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Analog View Post
Running a minimally damped air suspension type woofer without an enclosure is like taking the shock absorbers off your car and running with just the coil springs. Lots of uncontrolled and exaggerated motion. The ride (like tonal construction) is in the tank.
I have a free air woofer. It must be 10" not 12".
Old 07-25-2014, 12:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by willg View Post
I have a free air woofer. It must be 10" not 12".
In that case it's a good option if the kick panel is front to rear sealed around it's perimeter, and especially over the top.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

I'm not really a audiophile, but the sub is clear and stupid loud. Easily overpowers the rest of the speakers even at wakeboarding speeds.

I didn't feel like dealing with making a box. Cutting a hole and screwing it in was too easy.